$1000+ for downpipe with Cat for ALH?

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I have my car in at Precision Tune in Brooklin (not to be confused with Precision Tuning in Concord). I think it is a reputable shop so I don't think there's anything crooked there, but he has quoted me a price of some $1066 for the downpipe with cat from VW. Also says there's no aftermarket option. This sounds outrageous to me. Are there any other immediately available options other than eating the cost of the dealer part? Unfortunately I don't have the time to wait for a part from IDParts.com

$1066 for a #$%^king downpipe is crazy.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Why do you need a downpipe? did the exhaust break after the cat converter?

If so, you need a 40.00 pipe and labour job to correct that.

IDparts lists a downpipe for $379.00 US = $490 CDN. Shipping may be a bit but I don't suspect it will be anywhere close to 300-400.00

https://www.idparts.com/downpipe-a4-p-1173.html

I would also get in touch with GermanOEM or Brian @ roseland VW.

http://roselandtech.ca/VWPartsA4.htm

Truthfully, I'd take my car out of the shop and go somewhere else.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Why do you need a downpipe? did the exhaust break after the cat converter?

If so, you need a 40.00 pipe and labour job to correct that.

IDparts lists a downpipe for $379.00 US = $490 CDN. Shipping may be a bit but I don't suspect it will be anywhere close to 300-400.00

https://www.idparts.com/downpipe-a4-p-1173.html

I would also get in touch with GermanOEM or Brian @ roseland VW.

http://roselandtech.ca/VWPartsA4.htm

Truthfully, I'd take my car out of the shop and go somewhere else.
Yes that's exactly where it broke. Right at the cat. Buzzken has told me he can get me a downpipe (with cat) for $380 that I can pick up today.

The shop tells me that where it broke there's nothing there that can be welded to. Honestly at this point I don't have the time and energy to have it towed to another shop, I just need it done. But if Buzzken can come through and the shop doesn't give me any grief for returning the stupid $1100 VW part (was ordered yesterday afternoon) then I'm okay with the $380 + labour.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Very common problem. And very easy to fix. You sleeve the joint with a $10 pipe that fits inside the cat and pipe.

Alternately, you can cut off the cat altogether and have a new aftermarket one welded in its place. They are $100 for a Magnaflow diesel cat.

http://www.tdotperformance.ca/magnaflow-54104d-diesel-converters.html

http://www.tdotperformance.ca/magnaflow-91004d-diesel-converters.html

This is my original downpipe with the 91004D cat welded to it:

$100 for the cat, an hour and a half labour, misc parts & taxes, the total should be no more than $300.

Buzzken also has high quality stuff, so you can't go wrong there either.

FYI, you can drive the car the way it is if you want to go to Ken's place, or to a muffler shop that specializes in things like this. No need for a tow.

Last edited:

dober

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Silver Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon
I replaced mine with a Buzzken down pipe, much cheaper than a VW version and its stainless steel

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I replaced mine with a Buzzken down pipe, much cheaper than a VW version and its stainless steel
The factory one is stainless steel too.

The car should be driveable with the broken downpipe so the PO could easily just drive to another shop that's willing to repair the existing pipe.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Very common problem. And very easy to fix. You sleeve the joint with a $10 pipe that fits inside the cat and pipe.

Alternately, you can cut off the cat altogether and have a new aftermarket one welded in its place. They are $100 for a Magnaflow diesel cat.

http://www.tdotperformance.ca/magnaflow-54104d-diesel-converters.html

http://www.tdotperformance.ca/magnaflow-91004d-diesel-converters.html

This is my original downpipe with the 91004D cat welded to it:

$100 for the cat, an hour and a half labour, misc parts & taxes, the total should be no more than $300.

Buzzken also has high quality stuff, so you can't go wrong there either.

FYI, you can drive the car the way it is if you want to go to Ken's place, or to a muffler shop that specializes in things like this. No need for a tow.
In my case the break is right at the back of the cat, so there's nothing for the Cat-back to hold on to. But I assume that your suggestion would work on the back as well? Do you know of a shop in Durham region that would do this work? Apparently Precision Tune in Brooklin does not.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
the cat flange and exhaust flange was still very strong when mine broke, I went to crappy tire and got a converter pipe that would fit over the cat and pipe and two clamps, $30 ish

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
BuzzKen to the rescue. Dropped off a new downpipe w/ cat at my workplace for $380 all-in. Emailed him at like 9:30 last night and had the part in my hand just after lunch today. Pretty sweet. If I had the time I might take it elsewhere to have it repaired instead of replacing the whole pipe, but I need the vehicle.

Here is what my break looks like. Does it look easily repairable?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I am horrible at MIG welding stainless, and I could fix that.

Any muffler shop worth their salt would be able to repair that.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Been there, done that!

Auto Camping even sells a repair pipe to slide in and weld with the correct 55mm bump at the other end.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
BuzzKen to the rescue. Dropped off a new downpipe w/ cat at my workplace for $380 all-in. Emailed him at like 9:30 last night and had the part in my hand just after lunch today. Pretty sweet. If I had the time I might take it elsewhere to have it repaired instead of replacing the whole pipe, but I need the vehicle.

Here is what my break looks like. Does it look easily repairable?

I've so far had 2 MK4 TDI's with the same issue. My 03 wagon had that same break last week.

40.00 at a muffler shop and I was on my merry way.

I would recommend never going back to Precision Tune in Brooklin. There was no need for such an expensive repair to be even offered.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Thanks for the pics and the advice guys. Appreciate the help. I'm going to try to show this thread to them when I pick the vehicle.

For now I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with avoiding the $1100+ hit for the VW part. At least I know I should be safe from any downpipe problems for the foreseeable future.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the pics and the advice guys. Appreciate the help. I'm going to try to show this thread to them when I pick the vehicle.

For now I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with avoiding the $1100+ hit for the VW part. At least I know I should be safe from any downpipe problems for the foreseeable future.

IMO, this is why I reference this forum and google before I would consider taking my car in for service. Be prepared and have an understanding on what the possible outcome(s) could be.

Glad you got a new pipe to last you many more years.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Just to play devils advocate for a second, the picture above is a great DIY repair and will probably last a few years. I would have done the same thing. However, a shop would not, and should not do a repair like that as it has the potential to leak. There is a certain amount of liability that shops have to be aware of.

A proper repair should involve welding to properly seal the joint. Otherwise the shop might be considered negligent if it did a repair that allowed exhaust fumes to enter into the car. While I was not impressed with their seemingly lack of effort to try to find a cheaper alternative (ie, an aftermarket pipe like Buzzken), I can't fault them for not wanting to do a patch repair like that either.

They need to look at the age of the vehicle and suggest an appropriate repair. A new $30,000 car should probably get a new part put in. A 13 year old car that may only be on the road for a few more years can get away with a much cheaper repair that will last it's much shorter lifetime. Sometimes, creativity is needed in vehicle repairs and not just throwing brand new parts on an old car.

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I do agree wingnut, if I was ambitious enough welding around that piece I put in there would have been quite simple and sealed it right up, it moves the pressure point away from the break which is nice. I did that in june 2014 and its still holding up well.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Grand total is $657 after taxes. More than it needed to be I guess, but more palatable than the $1500 that I was looking at before.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Grand total is $657 after taxes. More than it needed to be I guess, but more palatable than the $1500 that I was looking at before.
I bet you that was the shop's strategy all along. Show you a super high quote so you'd settle for a more "reasonable" $657 rip off.
Did the shop at least give you back your old catalytic converter? It's worth around $150 at any scrap yard (for the precious metals in it)? Or did they keep that and said nothing to you (could have at least gave you some discount for the scrap)?

Last edited:

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I bet you that was the shop's strategy all along. Show you a super high quote so you'd settle for a more "reasonable" $657 rip off.
Did the shop at least give you back your old catalytic converter? It's worth around $150 at any scrap yard (for the precious metals in it)? Or did they keep that and said nothing to you (could have at least gave you some discount for the scrap)?
I haven't picked up the car yet (just got the total over the phone). The total I gave was $380 for the downpipe+cat that I sourced myself from Buzzken, and $277 for the labour and other small bits and taxes from the shop. I honestly don't think they are that sinister. A bit ignorant of the TDI, or unwilling to be creative to make the repair on the cheap, sure. But I don't think they deliberately set out to screw me. The labour costs were probably going to be constant regardless.

I'm sure if I ask for it I could have the old pipe back. Exactly who could I take the used Cat to to get some money for it?

Last edited:

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I haven't picked it up yet. I'm sure if I ask for it I could have the old pipe back. The total I gave was $380 for the downpipe+cat that I sourced myself from Buzzken, and $277 for the labour and other small bits and taxes from the shop.

Exactly who could I take the used Cat to to get some money for it?
Any scrap metal recycler.....call around and see who pays the most

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
So, would a reputable shop be giving me some credit for this, or do they all just hope you won't ask for it and then sell it themselves? Or do most not bother?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Most wouldnt tell you this, they just know most dont care

Theres a few scrap dealers around port perry that give top dollar for specific metals and items, give them a call

yhmtdi

TDI
'01 Golf TDI, '00 Golf 1.8T
I would take it off your hands for scrap value if you just want to get rid of it.

And fix it and keep as a spare for my car.

Mark