Noticed some differences 2013/2014

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
As most here know I changed from a '13 to a '14 SE MT which is virtually identical right down to color. Road manners are identical. Economy is too early to tell but appears the same. Performance seems about equal from a seat of the pants perspective. (Very good by the way.)

One detail I became aware of yesterday tends to lead me to think that VW has done some mapping changes on the ECU or a component or control directly affecting the turbo and fueling has been modified. I'll spare most of the details except to say that my son and I were fooling around right next to each other yesterday. Both of us pretending to be teenagers and revving our motors (not to the point of abuse) like we were about to drag race. Basically tapping the go-pedal and allowing the engine to spool up a bit. Not exactly like placing two fuelers side by side.

It immediately became clear that the '14 is much less abrupt. "Abrupt" being the best term I can think of. I can understand the difference between turbos but this seems to be something else. In normal driving I detect no difference. The best I can describe is a "soft" and limited rev in the '14 versus a much more abrupt and harder rev in the '13.

Draw whatever conclusions you will but I'm beginning to think I might have been on to something early on. I won't argue about a possible physical problem with our turbos. They're somewhat delicate I suspect. On the other hand it would seem that perhaps the ECU was setting up a series of events that under certain circumstances almost guaranteed a cooked turbo no matter which revision level it might be.

You don't suppose that our ECU's are now commanding a "softer" cycle, do you? And, no, I don't think it's just me. The '14 is fueling differently than the '13. It's not something one would normally notice unless sitting side by side with the '13 as it's so subtle.

Food for thought anyway. Maybe only my car. I just thought that this might be of interest. It could possibly begin to explain both the turbo revision levels and why the '14's seem to have a better track record at this time.

So... For what it might be worth.

Steven715

TDI
B7 Passat Estate Executive style 2.0 TDI 140
May be the 13 is more ran in and there for everything is not as tight. Just a thought

Steve.
Passat 1.6 TDI sport estate Bluemotion

ATG

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI Jetta TDI
I would like to also note this softer cycle. I just picked up my 2014 jetta tdi and I noticed the same thing, in addition to being geared a lot lower and having 6 gears. I find the 2014 geared low enough to idle at cruising speed around 1700 rpm's. I know this really isn't good for the car, but that is what I observed.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Nord,

I would have to concur. A very good friend with a 13 (His 0005 turbo just blew Sunday BTW at just over 20K). Anyway, I've driven his several times including a couple long trips, and there is a subtle, but real, difference in the lag, spooling, or throttle "hit" if you will as compared to my 14. It would be interesting to see the ECU code... I don't think its "in your head" so to speak, I too can feel the subtle differences in response between the two.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
2013 was at almost exactly 15k miles.
2013 owned by my son and compared last night... 8500 miles.
2014 SE MT (as are both above) 350 miles

Break-in is more a figment of the imagination going back to older technology. I'm sure there is some, but not enough to make a noticeable difference. Run-in is pretty much a non issue in my humble opinion.

1700 rpm's is not at all bad for the TDI engine... As long as you're not lugging the engine. This is a condition where fueling is increased without downshifting. It causes EGT's to rise and perhaps unduly stress exhaust side components. I would tend to believe that our ECU's would not allow this condition and would tend to force a shift by reducing fueling to lower exhaust temps.

I'm sure others will have opinions of their own.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...just a thought...I think the title to this thread should be more specific, as the thread is specific to turbo differences, not cosmetic differences...

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Nord,

I would have to concur. A very good friend with a 13 (His 0005 turbo just blew Sunday BTW at just over 20K).
Think you could encourage your friend to report his failure in the turbo failure thread here?

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Think you could encourage your friend to report his failure in the turbo failure thread here?
I have encouraged him to register and get his info into the thread. He lurks here frequently, but isn't a registered user. I'll keep trying.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
On my 2014, I know for a fact that it reduces fueling and/or boost in first gear, which is something I don't remember experiencing on the 2013 SE TDI 6MT test drive. It doesn't bother me, and I figure its there to save the tires from smoking and help prolong the life of the drive train (most likely the turbo), but it was something I noticed right away with my car.

It just doesn't pull as hard for a given throttle input in first gear than it does in second or pretty much any other gear. Plus, when I drive with the windows down in a quiet neighborhood, I can't hear the turbo spool anywhere near as noticeably as in the other gears, which also points to the reduced fueling/boost in first gear.

Before anyone asks, I'm not experiencing traction control! :p In fact, I notice the detuning more during light-medium acceleration than during any aggresive acceleration.

Last edited:

ATG

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI Jetta TDI
2013 was at almost exactly 15k miles.
2013 owned by my son and compared last night... 8500 miles.
2014 SE MT (as are both above) 350 miles

Break-in is more a figment of the imagination going back to older technology. I'm sure there is some, but not enough to make a noticeable difference. Run-in is pretty much a non issue in my humble opinion.

1700 rpm's is not at all bad for the TDI engine... As long as you're not lugging the engine. This is a condition where fueling is increased without downshifting. It causes EGT's to rise and perhaps unduly stress exhaust side components. I would tend to believe that our ECU's would not allow this condition and would tend to force a shift by reducing fueling to lower exhaust temps.

I'm sure others will have opinions of their own.

I have the MT version of the jetta and it comes with a shift indicator. I find the shift indicator to be really inaccurate. If I follow it exactly, I will be running the car at 1200rpm most of the time. This is not highway speeds either.