My 10k service coming up on Monday

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
AFAIK, the 507 oil doesn't come in bulk.. yet.. After 5 years... Otherwise, dealers would be using it more often - buying in bulk is always cheaper.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
:DDon, get with the program...sheesh...and all this time I thought you were paying attention.
507 has been available in bulk for going on 18 months, AFAIK...

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
:DDon, get with the program...sheesh...and all this time I thought you were paying attention.
507 has been available in bulk for going on 18 months, AFAIK...
Apparently dealers around here haven't gotten the message then, however this is Chicagoland. Anytime they can charge more, they will.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Apparently dealers around here haven't gotten the message then, however this is Chicagoland. Anytime they can charge more, they will.
Well FWIW my dealership has been using bulk 507.00 since 2010. I challenged them back then when they serviced my 2010 JSW then they showed me the drum and it's appropriate labeling. Valvoline Synpower XL-III VW 5-30 504.00/507.00 ACEA A3/B4 C3.

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG w/ Sunroof
If you feel like you have to stand over the technician's shoulder and double check everything they do, you should probably be doing the service yourself. Stop worrying yourself. If they screw it up, what's the worst that could happen? VW owes you a new engine? Either get your free maintenance and enjoy the wifi/tv/magazines in the waiting room, or do everything yourself and get that added peace of mind. But please don't be as prickish as some of these people. I'm sure you wouldn't want people questioning you as if you don't know how to do your job,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow. In a tire thread, you refer to folks that prefer Hankooks as "snobs."
In this post, ^^^, you think folks that like to have service done correctly are "prickish."
...sigh...

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow. In a tire thread, you refer to folks that prefer Hankooks as "snobs."
In this post, ^^^, you think folks that like to have service done correctly are "prickish."
...sigh...

Your first statement is false.

As to the second, I'm sorry, but if you hover around the service tech, ask 20 questions, want to see/take home the oil bottles, etc., you can't deny that you're kind of being a prick, and a very annoying customer. Like I said, if you're so uptight and worried about it, do the oil change yourself. If you don't want to get your hands dirty and spend your own money, then accept the fact that trained professionals are doing the job and if they screw up and it affects your car, you've got proof of their error and you're in the clear.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I can be assured that the person working on my car is a "trained professional", then this discussion wouldn't even exist.

I will continue to engage any tech that works on my car (especially a tech I don't know), with lots of questions, and visual confirmation of repairs needed. Any good tech (or "trained professional") welcomes interaction with an enthusiast, and clear, simple answers to legitimate questions don't slow any "trained professional" down.

We all encounter incompetence every day, which, on the average, reigns supreme in many fields, and auto dealerships are notorious in this regard. If a tech gets annoyed at honest curiousity, though, I just smile and walk/drive away, and never return. You just can't fix stoopid.

"Trust but verify."

If that makes me a prick, I accept the compliment.

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
If a tech tells you there's a problem, by all means ask as many questions as you want. I was really just talking about routine service intervals. If you don't trust someone to do an oil change, do it yourself. That's literally all I meant by the "prickish" comment. No one likes having someone breathing down their neck when they're doing a routine part of their job.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
No one likes having someone breathing down their neck when they're doing a routine part of their job.

When I entrust my $30K piece of machinery to someone else to service and maintain, I have the right as well as the duty to ensure that the job is being done correctly. Their mess up could cost ME big bucks in the future.

Using the wrong oil at a 10K service interval will likely not cause an immediate issue, but is likely to cause an issue that will only become evident when the responsibility for paying for that mistake is on ME.

For the leagues of folks who trade their car in every 24-36 months - who cares? Let the tech do whatever he wants. By the time any long term damage from improper servicing is evident the car will be someone else's issue. For those of us in it for the long haul, "trust but verify" is the ONLY way to go.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
When I entrust my $30K piece of machinery to someone else to service and maintain, I have the right as well as the duty to ensure that the job is being done correctly. Their mess up could cost ME big bucks in the future.
Using the wrong oil at a 10K service interval will likely not cause an immediate issue, but is likely to cause an issue that will only become evident when the responsibility for paying for that mistake is on ME.
For the leagues of folks who trade their car in every 24-36 months - who cares? Let the tech do whatever he wants. By the time any long term damage from improper servicing is evident the car will be someone else's issue. For those of us in it for the long haul, "trust but verify" is the ONLY way to go.
^^This!

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta

If I can be assured that the person working on my car is a "trained professional", then this discussion wouldn't even exist.

I will continue to engage any tech that works on my car (especially a tech I don't know), with lots of questions, and visual confirmation of repairs needed. Any good tech (or "trained professional") welcomes interaction with an enthusiast, and clear, simple answers to legitimate questions don't slow any "trained professional" down.

We all encounter incompetence every day, which, on the average, reigns supreme in many fields, and auto dealerships are notorious in this regard. If a tech gets annoyed at honest curiousity, though, I just smile and walk/drive away, and never return. You just can't fix stoopid.

"Trust but verify."

If that makes me a prick, I accept the compliment.

Exactly!
It's been proven time and time again that some people are incompetent. They're not trained and not "professionals." Any professional would be more than glad to answer any questions because they know the problems that can arise. My service guy would call me into the service area and show me the oil just for peace of mind. He was happy to do it. The service advisor on the other hand told me that my pressure sensor wouldn't be covered under warranty because it doubles as a glow plug. The manager and the service tech had to yell at him to understand that if the
check engine light says pressure sensor that's what is changed under warranty.

It's also been proven over and over again that some techs (incompetent ones) will tell you they know what they're doing but in fact they have no idea what is going on.
One tech I ran into didn't know that there was a difference in oil quantity between the 1.9 and 2.0 tdi jettas.

And I don't want to be left with a 30k paper weight because some idiot thinks a different spec oil is ok (why the hell do they make different specs then?) And that an extra liter won't hurt anything (dipsticks are just there to look pretty)

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
How would you know? Seriously.They take YOUR car off to another building and say these things have been done.

Check out Munks in Waterford. They actually let you watch.

btw...my tint is way cooler. :)

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
How would you know? Seriously.They take YOUR car off to another building and say these things have been done.
Well, the oil was a different color on the dipstick then when the car went in. The oil was properly filled to the top and the tan colored heat shielding on the pipe wasn't covered in oil. There was no Adblue spilled in the trunk. They used the right oil in the car. My service mileage was reset. My car had been driven a few miles indicating that they did in fact test drive it like they said they did. I cannot sit and worry about every little thing. How do I know my dentist cleans my teeth right, how do I know that my urologist did my kidney stone surgery properly, how do I know that the roofing company put my shingles on correctly?

Check out Munks in Waterford. They actually let you watch.
Friend of mine lives in Waterford and has told me about Munks.

btw...my tint is way cooler. :)
Who are you speaking too? If you are talking about me, are you talking about the windows in my fuelly picture? If so, that isn't my car. It's just some picture that I grabbed with the right car color.

Last edited:

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI

No. For those of us in it for long haul, change your own damn oil if you feel the need to treat people like children as they perform the simplest of automobile maintenance tasks. Jesus Christ, I bet they just LOVE to see your face when you pull up for service...

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
For those of us in it for long haul, change your own damn oil if you feel the need to treat people like children as they perform the simplest of automobile maintenance tasks.
Talk about blind faith.

The sad truth is that my dealership couldn't perform the "simplest" of tasks as I found out first hand.

So yes, some of them should be supervised. Actually, some of them probably shouldn't even be working on cars.