RNS 510 upgrade software deactivated voice commands

msfTDI

TDI
Passat 12
Has anyone had the software upgrade to the RNS 510 in the Passat 2012 and had the voice recognition system become virtually useless? My system showed various help commands on the screen depending in what mode you were in. It would prompt you in determining a new destination, or change radio stations. It was a very robust system with many, many voice commands. After the upgrade none of these features are available and VW says they can not revert back to the old software. They act like it never did any of these things.

---------------

Moderator Note:

Please see the following thread for continued discussion...

RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Has anyone had the software upgrade to the RNS 510 in the Passat 2012 and had the voice recognition system become virtually useless? My system showed various help commands on the screen depending in what mode you were in. It would prompt you in determining a new destination, or change radio stations. It was a very robust system with many, many voice commands. After the upgrade none of these features are available and VW says they can not revert back to the old software. They act like it never did any of these things.
You can keep the new software and still get all the voice commands back by using VCDS. It just take one simple change to activate the voice commands. They are still in the software!:D

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Is it a recode? Adaptation?
It has been awhile since I did it, but I think it was a simple long coding helper action. There is either a box to check or uncheck for voice commands in the navigation section.

msfTDI

TDI
Passat 12
Is this change something that can be done by me or does it have to be done by dealer? Detailed instructions would be much appreciated. Thanks

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Is this change something that can be done by me or does it have to be done by dealer? Detailed instructions would be much appreciated. Thanks
I think it can only be done by someone with a VCDS. I do not think the other tools the dealers have will be able to do this, since VW does not want it done.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
OKAY, here you go! These are the steps within VCDS software to add Navigation voice commands back in (Remember to have car doors closed and unlocked before you start):

1. SELECT
2. 37 NAVIGATION
3. CODING - 07
4. LONG CODING HELPER
5. Highlight BYTE 7
6. Remove check from BIT 1
7. ESC out from this screen
8. DO IT!
9. Exit out of VCDS software

After you are through, I would recommend that you re-boot the Nav unit:

Press and hold these three button at the top of the Nav unit until it reboots. Should take about 15 seconds:

< > and star button (far right of DVD slot)

Good luck!

msfTDI

TDI
Passat 12
I don't follow exactly, what is VCDS software and how do I access this into my system? Do I connect a laptop - where and how?

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't follow exactly, what is VCDS software and how do I access this into my system? Do I connect a laptop - where and how?
To make any of the tweaks or changes, you need to purchase a cable from Ross-Tech and download their software.

Here is a link: http://www.ross-tech.com/index.html

It will cost you about $250 plus shipping. That is what many of us have done in order to customize our Passats--and be able to diagnose any issues. The other option is to try to find someone near you with the cable and software who will do the mods for you.

EricEE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 55K+ miles
I made this change and have rebooted the system a half dozen times. I cannot get voice commands to work. What is a good indicator that it is on?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
hit the top right star button OR hit settings button. if voice command is active it will be on one of 9 of the soft buttons in settings... if not active you will only see 8 buttons with 2 empty spots on the bottom

EricEE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 55K+ miles
hit the top right star button OR hit settings button. if voice command is active it will be on one of 9 of the soft buttons in settings... if not active you will only see 8 buttons with 2 empty spots on the bottom
Perfect. It was on, I just didn't know how to access it. Thank you.

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
Voice commands on nav not working

I tried to enable voice command on the nav unit by following this

1. SELECT
2. 37 NAVIGATION
3. CODING - 07
4. LONG CODING HELPER
5. Highlight BYTE 7
8. DO IT!

And still do not have the option to use voice for the nav
Am I missing something?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I tried to enable voice command on the nav unit by following this

1. SELECT
2. 37 NAVIGATION
3. CODING - 07
4. LONG CODING HELPER
5. Highlight BYTE 7
8. DO IT!

And still do not have the option to use voice for the nav
Am I missing something?
Please read the 3 posts above yours...

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
i see that voice command is in the soft buttons ( i looked before i posted ) i still cannot control my nag with voice ( only phone or music ) ?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
so the star button doesn't ping, thus telling you voice-commands are active?
AND the help Voice command list doesn't pop up either?!:eek:
if that is the case use the <> and star to reboot... wait ~60 seconds then hit star to tell it to listen for you...
perhaps the Speech Dialogue System (SDS) is malfunctioning- if so then the dealer may have to be called in...:(

Last edited:

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
It always worked on 2012 models, but some 2013 vehicles will not take turn-on voice command.

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I only tried accessing the Nav from the steering wheel button, I somehow missed the reference to the star button in the earlier posts, thanks for pointing that out again as that was the ticket.