Air conditioner condenser failure at 66k miles / 2.5 years

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Mostly posting this for the sake of others who might search for A/C problems later.

My A/C suddenly went out just before the Memorial weekend. Took it to the dealer because I wanted something else checked out by them anyway. No pressure in the lines. They recharged it with a dyed refrigerant and it held pressure. Told me that if I had problems, they'd then be able to look for evidence of a leak.

Worked fine for about 2 months, including during the 100-degree days (thankfully!) Then it went out again 2 weekends ago. They said that there was residue on the underside of the condenser. They quoted $1015, and it came in at just under $800. $241 for the condenser, and about $500 for 5 hours of labor, plus a bit for refrigerant.

The failure mode was that it was working fine, and then failed abruptly, both times. It wasn't a case of the system just getting weaker and weaker, or that you'd have cold air at the start of your trip and then it fades off like other A/C failures I hear about elsewhere. Seems odd that if this was a slow leak, that it would fail in an 'all or nothing' mode. One day the air was cold, the next day the air was warmer than the ambient outside temperature.

Kinda sucks to have to pay this kind of money and have this kind of repair on a 2.5-year-old car. My 2000 Golf is still on its original A/C charge @ 330k+ miles, owned by r90sKirk. Only the compressor clutched pulley was changed a few years ago because it was getting tight.

Before the repair, I took a peek through the lower vents of the grille. I was surprised at how clogged the fins of the condenser were. Tons of tiny rocks and bugs. Makes me wonder if I should pull the bumper skin and install some sort of screen behind the lower grille.

I don't use the A/C much -- normally only when it gets above 85 degrees, and it's fairly mild here on the shore of Lake Michigan. I prefer to have the windows open and feel a breeze. This summer, of course, it's gotten a fair amount of use.

I'll report back to this thread if I have any additional problems....

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
That does suck. I don't use my A/C unless it gets near 90 but I would be upset to have to spend 1K fixing it after 2.5 years.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
2000 Golf at 341k and climbing ;)- blows ice cubes still!

fastson

TDI
2013 Golf 1.6 TDI BMT DSG7
That does suck. I don't use my A/C unless it gets near 90 but I would be upset to have to spend 1K fixing it after 2.5 years.
People have always told me to run the A/C at least once a week (yes even during the winter months) or else the unit will not be lubricated and can fail due to that.

I always run my A/C (well I let the Climatronic control it). During the winter months it is very effective at dehumidifying the air.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
During the winter months it is very effective at dehumidifying the air.
Very true. Many people assume AC will only blow cold air. However, once the car is warmed up or even with the axillary heater in our cars the fans will blow hot air with the AC on if the temperature is selected for it.

If running the AC on occasion year round does in fact keep the unit lubricated and therefore extend its life then all the better.

dean_park

TDI
2011 United Gray Golf TDI 4DR MAN
A condenser is simply a coil used for heat rejection. If it failed, that nearly always means a leak. If you are seeing a lot of little rocks and debris, it's very possible that something punctured one circuit and it's a small leak. It doesn't take much when slowly loosing charge to have system performance go from OK to FAIL "all of a sudden".
It's definitely a bummer to have one fail; however, it's not a wear item like a compressor or fan, so it should be pretty rare for it to happen again once repaired.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
People have always told me to run the A/C at least once a week (yes even during the winter months) or else the unit will not be lubricated and can fail due to that.

I always run my A/C (well I let the Climatronic control it). During the winter months it is very effective at dehumidifying the air.
Anytime the wife goes with me the first thing she does is turn on the A/C.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I keep my AC on all the time , winter included just to keep the humidity down.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Same A/C problem here with my '10 JSW. I'm at 57K miles. Two months ago, I had a dealer check it out... I was 3 hours from home in Memphis, TN. Wow, it's hot and humid there. They did a pressure check and "topped off" the freon and charged me $165. It is still blowing warm, humid air with intermittent cool air.

After a week in New Orleans recently, I just can't stand it... Took it to a reputable independent today, and got a failed compressor and expansion valve diagnosis. They've quoted $1,200 with a 3 year, 36,000 mile national warranty. That way if it fails again, they can fix it for free!

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Strange, because most women seem to be the "I'm freezing in here!" type who are perpetually cold.

You must have a hot wife. ;)
LOL, to be fair it is in the mid 80's. :D

I just prefer the windows open. A few weeks ago it got over 100 and I did run the A/C.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
My MK4 has 270,000 miles, 10 years old, never serviced for A/C and it blows like Antarctica. I have rarely if ever used it over the past 8 years other than in winter on defrost mode. But in the last two years have used it very often during the summer months. Cold. The 2011 MK6 on the other hand, I never have ever turned it on yet. Maybe I should see if it's there or works? How can you have a car for 2.5 years and dish out a repair bill like that thinking it's a wear and tear problem? That's all failure to me. There must be some issue with the system from the factory to fail like that.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI