KBB is wrong

jennisdiesel

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI
KKB says that my 2002 Jetti Wagon TDI is only worth $4350. How could that be when I paid close to $9000 for it last year. Where can I go to find a more accurate appraisal for my sweet wagon.:rolleyes:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Well, which KBB price are you using? That must be trade-in, which seems pretty fair.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
www.edmunds.com

$4350 is probably not far off from trade-in value depending on mileage and condition. When you trade a car, the dealer will generally give you the auction value for your trade.

Maybe someone has access to blackbook or Manheim auto auction data.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
To Kelley it's worth $4350. To you it was worth close to $9000.
"Was"....
I presume you were OK with the near $9k deal at the time you made it last year, and probably were right up until you saw the $4350.
Has the car changed between then and now, or just your opinion of your own negotiating abilities....

Are you actively looking to sell it after less than a year? If you're not looking to sell, then what difference does it make how much someone else's car is worth to yet another?
What's important is how much YOUR car is worth to YOU.

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
You're also talking about an 8 year old VW. TDIs have slightly higher resale values than their gas counterparts, but they're not gold mines.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
KBB told me my 2002 2 door Golf TDI would retail at $8350 if it had 106,000 miles on it which must be the average for the age of my car. Of course I have 192,000 on mine.

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
Why do you need a higher valued appraisal? This site is rife with those whose precious 96-97 Passat Wagons met an early fate and they wanted a higher appraisal to reflect the value of the vehicle to those few who owned them.

Tscott

TDI
03 jetta
I go to autotrader.com advance search and put my car in, like I'm trying to buy another one, then I see what price people are asking.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
I know I couldn't replace my 10-year-old Golf for what any book says it is worth, given how difficult they are to find...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When I had an accident with my '02 Jetta Wagon earlier this spring, the body shop kept the estimate at about $4,500. They did this because that was estimated to be 70% of the car's value, and a higher claim would cause the insurance company to total the car.

So your value estimate is probably roughly correct. But if you're not selling, it doesn't matter. I plan to keep my wagon forever so I don't care what it's worth.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
KBB told me my 2002 2 door Golf TDI would retail at $8350 if it had 106,000 miles on it which must be the average for the age of my car. Of course I have 192,000 on mine.
Just for grins, I put the info in for my 2001 Golf GL (2dr) TDI with 417,000 miles on it, and came up with a private party price of $3715 in good condition, and $4190 in excellent condition (mine is somewhere in between). Of course, I wouldn't let it go for anything near that. :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's odd how mileage deduction isn't that great. My wagon had 228K on it when I had the accident. Mileage didn't do as much to the value as age.