AFE intake or exhast dyno numbers?

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
FIRST OFF PLEASE DONT BASH ME! lol....

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone on here with e B7 TDI has any dyno charts of back to back runs with an AFE intake or exhaust... or both?

and yes I know this is a BIG debate of if its worth it or not but I'm looking for real numbers.

Thanks!

JAYFARMLAW

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
I did not know AFE made and intakes for our cars. For what it is worth I have an AFE intake on my 99 powerstroke diesel with almost 350,000 miles. I do oil analysis every 100k and there is way less than average silicon in my oil. There is no blowby at all in my engine and it is used for farm duty daily. Driving in the pasture, feeding hay, pulling stupid heavy trailers, etc. I have straight piped the truck and saw an immediate reduction in EGT, especially while towing. I am not a hot rodder or tuner, I did these mods for longevity and they are working as planned. Exhaust and a great air filter system are never a bad idea, even if not designed by Klaus in Germany. Do you have a link to the AFE products?
Jay
Jay

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
FIRST OFF PLEASE DONT BASH ME! lol....

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone on here with e B7 TDI has any dyno charts of back to back runs with an AFE intake or exhaust... or both?

and yes I know this is a BIG debate of if its worth it or not but I'm looking for real numbers.

Thanks!

Just so you're clear, you have an NMS Passat, not a B7. Also, before you start looking into modding, understand how your CKRA engine operates, and how little air actually comes into the engine via the air cleaner assembly under normal driving conditions anyways.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Air in and air out...your motor is like a pump. If you put more air in then you have to be able to get it out....the DPF is going to be your restriction. You can get the car chip tuned for more power.

I will not be doing any of these mods to mine....but that is just my opinion. I have done some cosmetic mods but that is as far as I am willing to go.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I wish the clowns over at Vortex had started the NMS section correctly. I'm afraid MORE of us call it a B7 than NMS, and don't fully understand the differences until they start buying aftermarket parts.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, it can get confusing. I mean, it is our 7th gen B car, but since it is completely different from the 'home market' 7th gen Passat, it really should have its own designation.

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Yeah I wish so to, I have not been on to many VW forums but yeah I was under the assumption that my car was a B7 lol.....

Anyways yeah I guess the jetta AFE intake works on our cars

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm with JM Popaleetus on this. With the number of enthusiasts that post here, I would think the instant they had dyno "proof" of substantial gains, we'd be all over it.
The fact that no one has followed up their "mod" posts with dyno information (AFAIK) speaks volumes.

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Yeah, it would just be nice if someone actually posted results.

I had to do this with TDI-tunings "tuning box" I actually lost power lol.

Well I have a buddy with a dyno so maybe I'll pull the trigger :-/

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
it would be a cosmetic upgrade for the most part. You would also likely get more intake noise and more turbo sound but may actually see less horsepower as a result. In order to get more power out of these cars they need to either be chiptune or have the DPF deleted and chiptune. The DPF is restriction in the pump system that prevents additional performance gains.

if you want more power you must chiptune

I look at the turbo failure thread and don't want to stress mine as it already has sufficient power for me. That is my suggestion but its your car.

Last edited:

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I'm waiting to do some more aggressive mods down the road.

What I'm still looking for is someone who has actual proof of gains or losses. Not just repeaters of whats been said over and over again with no charts....

mikeymike214

Veteran Member
Belleville, NJ for now plan on moving next year.
TDI
2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL
Don't even bother with a afe intake or exhaust. I have the afe exhaust and I felt VERY minimal difference to the car. Not worth the money imo. If I had to do it all over again I would have kept the car stock exhaust. Now a tune ? That's worth the money ! If your looking for a bang for your buck tune... get a rocket chip stage 1 tune. It doesn't require to get your dsg tuned according to jeff. I had it for a short while and no problems with the dsg. However the acceleration feel takes getting used to but you can tell him however you want to adjust it.

I have a Malone 1.5 tune right now and it's smoother but I miss the instant power the rocket chip gave me and how fast my car was with it. Also have a dsg tune (malone) which I highly recommend it's great making your dsg work much better than stock. Plus it's cool seeing what gear your at in drive and sport !

Rocket chip is cheaper than malone in price.