Bleeding brake brake system, do I need to bleed booster and ABS module?

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
Hello!

My brake pedal feels pretty soft, I've bled the 4 wheels and clutch in the good sequence 3 times, still soft.

The car brakes but the pedal is pretty low when the brakes finally grabs (below the level of the gas pedal)

All I did is change the 2 rear calipers... :(

I've read I should try to bleed the brake booster but there is no bleeder, what is the correct procedure?

Should I also try to bleed the ABS module with VCDS even though I don't see how air could have gotten to this module...

thanks a lot
g.b.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
First, make sure the parking brake cables are working properly. Many people replace calipers and that isn't the problem, it's the cables. Volkswagen has upgraded cables and retainers if you prefer.

Then, yes, you'll want to use VCDS to bleed the brakes. Go to Basic Settings first (it'll show you what to do.... you'll need a helper).

Then I do the Output Test a couple cycles (again, it'll walk you through it).

See if it improves. Also, check to make sure the FRONT caliper slide pins are free, that the caliper slides back and forth properly, and that all 4 pads are free in the perches.

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
I'll try that!
I can't get a helper until a couple of days but I'll try!

I'm curious... I read some place and also on the ross-tech website that we don't need to bleed the ABS module if it didn't go dry or if air didn't get inside.
Is that true or should we still bleed anyway?

thanks a lot oilhammer

g.b.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I know they say you shouldn't have to bleed the ABS, but experience has shown me otherwise. Actually, you'd be surprised how improved the pedal feel gets on cars that haven't even had any brake work done if you run the Output Test. I think the ABS module needs to be exercised once in a while. :p