how long do original brakes last?

nedro018

TDI
2009 tdi dsg sportwagon
anyone have an idea of how long original brakes/rotors last on the 2009-2010 jsw's? thanks.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
A start can be what mileage are you getting now on oem brake pads and rotors? In general or SWAG for you personally?

It really gets down to mileage, your conditions, habits: if you have "consumptive habits", how much are you willing to change, how you use your DSG/M/T 6 speeds, goals.

One easy bar would be: did you know about the VW rear braking bias (literally around for @ least a decade) and how are you handling it?

Last edited:

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
My front rotors are a little worse for wear but the pads are not even half way at 75k miles. Back brakes, pads replaced at 40k and need to be done soon again. I will replace the back rotors this time.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Living in the country, as I do, I expect +100K, like I got from my 02 TDI Wagon. This time, the pads are fine at 60K on the 2010 SportWagen but the rear disks are both quite scored, although I plan to leave them until the pads need replacing. My experience with after-market disks on the 02 Wagon was not good (pulsation on braking.) In fact, I decided that I would only use OEM disks in future; yet, with badly scored rear disks on the 2010 SportWagen, I'm not so sure. Are high quality disks are hard to come by, these days?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Living in the country, as I do, I expect +100K, like I got from my 02 TDI Wagon. This time, the pads are fine at 60K on the 2010 SportWagen but the rear disks are both quite scored, although I plan to leave them until the pads need replacing. My experience with after-market disks on the 02 Wagon was not good (pulsation on braking.) In fact, I decided that I would only use OEM disks in future; yet, with badly scored rear disks on the 2010 SportWagen, I'm not so sure. Are high quality disks are hard to come by, these days?
No, if you stay with oem rotors and brake pads. YES, IF one has special purpose wants/needs !

So for example with app 179,000 miles (my) the OEM fronts and rear brake pads are more than half left AND I swag good to go to easily 250,000 miles.

tico27464

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (DSG)
Mine are ~45% left in rear, 55% in front. My bias is to highway, but a lot of city driving, too. In either case, the roads are jammed and I brake more than I would on the open interstate, by *far*, even practicing good driving habits (no tailgating, coasting--in gear--to a stop etc.) to the max possible without getting shot at by impatient lugnuts.

Oh yeah, and those figures were measured at 40K mi. So, assuming nothing changes, for me my best SWAG is 70-80 K mi.

As they say, your mileage truly will vary.
~T

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
Are high quality disks are hard to come by, these days?
I've been buying pads. rotors, and hardware kits from rapidparts.com for previous VWs and my previous A4 Avant. I'll go there when I need rotors and pads.

The hardware kit has parts likeclips, bolts, and slider boots slider bolts, depending upon application. A friend that is a VW tech thought that the the kit had slider boots was neat.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4831400-Thanks-again-Matt.-Working-on-car-content.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
On our B5.5 Passat I got 160k km out of the brakes. How long brakes last is proportional to how you use them. Tailgating, racing to red lights and city driving take their toll.

motorhead2

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
If a car is built with real compatible brake components (pads and rotors) then they can last a long time. It also depends on the driver too. Bought a brand new 1981 VW Dasher wagon and got 165,000 out of the front pads and 220,000 out of the rear shoes.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
I should know this but what does SWAG mean in VW braking terminology? All I can think of is swagger...which makes no sense!:rolleyes:

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I know that WAG stands for Wild A** Guess (or similar) so I will assume the 'S' is a colorful adjective to add more pizzaz to this acronym!

nedro018

TDI
2009 tdi dsg sportwagon
thanks for all replies. im at 43K and the rears have 4-5 mm pad left. so im guessing 70-80K for the rear pads. the fronts, strangly enough, are BEVELED pads, not flat. strange...never looked at them before. do they angle in to brake the pads flat? anyway, there's 12mm at the wide part of the bevel so probably 100K for the front.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
I've got ~75,000 miles on original pads/rotors both front and rear. Both have about 1/2 material left.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
When I replace, I'm planning on sticking with OEM rotors and pads. One after market pad I've had great luck with (many different makes of vehicle) is Wagner's ThermoQuiet pads. Great quality imo.

artificer

TDI
2006 Jetta 5spd
One thing I haven't seen mentioned concerning front brake wear is driving conditions. If you have a light foot, and only see rain, the brakes will last longer. If you drive in snow and ice, and constantly get the electronic stability light coming on, your brakes will wear out faster.

I was at about 95K when my brakes were replaced (front and back) in the 2006 Mk5 Jetta.

Michael

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
201,500 miles still all original brake components. Yes, I do lots of highway miles but drive in snow and ice too.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
tadurkee;4053232[I said:
]201,500 miles still all original brake components.[/I] Yes, I do lots of highway miles but drive in snow and ice too.
You set the bar way, way up there, amigo. Gives us all a goal.
thanks, ez (gathering data anticipating JSW TDI 6M purchase after IRS refund)

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
When I replace, I'm planning on sticking with OEM rotors and pads. One after market pad I've had great luck with (many different makes of vehicle) is Wagner's ThermoQuiet pads. Great quality imo.
That's what I did. My Indy guy asked me if I wanted to upgrade (he doesn't sell upgraded kits but said knowing how I love my car that now would be the time to upgrade) but I hadn't really given it a lot of thought and said nah just do the OEMs for now. I get home and tell the wife and she said you should've upgraded if it makes you stop better. Now I'm pissed off I didn't do a higher end system :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
  • I have 57k on mine, look to be in very good shape. the #1 factor id bet (after driving habit) is whether or not you drive a manual. my civic never used a pad up, i did change some in conjunction with a warped rotor. en lieu of that im guessing 120k is a safe estimation

TDI
Touareg
Touareg Brakes

I have 64,000 miles on my 2014 Touareg TDI.I took it in for it's 60K check and was told the brakes were only half worn.When it comes time for brakes I will perform the replacement myself.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I had the original brakes on my MK6 Golf at 135K before trading in. I drove quite a bit of city, but I think they lasted so long because I drove around using sport mode(lots of engine braking) on the DSG.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
You should check pad thickness on Maintenance schedule... That will tell you how much you have left. You really should track that and proactively change it.

How many miles do VW brakes last? It depends on how you drive. Do you use engine braking on manual trans (or just push clutch in and use all brakes)? If you have DSG trans you get engine braking unless you put it in to neutral. If you do all highway and use engine braking and anticipate stops and turns using brakes sparingly they can last as others say... long time.

Of course if you drive like a bat out of hell, stop and go, never coast and slam brakes on last minute before you need to slow down or stop... they will last a lot less. Have a look at them (or get a local shop). Even Firestone can check the brakes and likely will do it for free. I bet the dealer if you talk nice to them and they are not busy will check brake pads...

You can check them if so inclined. You have to jack car and remove rim and use measuring caliper to get actual thickness. However depending on rim (open spoke mag rims), with inspection mirror and flashlight, you can see pad thickness with rim installed, especially the rear, with smaller disk diameter. You can guesstimate by eyeball the thickness. New they are about 10mm (0.39). If you are down to 2 to 3 mm pad thickness replace them. You are just looking for good enough. If in doubt, proper method is rim off and make actual measurement of thickness to service manual limits. Also measure disk thickness as well. The PADS on the inside wears faster, as caliper piston pushes on it. The outside pad floats.

VW is weird regarding front to back pad wear. The VW has brake bias and uses rear more to avoid noise diving (and of course anti-lock). Typically on most cars front pads wear faster, but on VW that is pretty even or rear wears faster that front, due to this brake bias (unlike other vehicles without brake bias).

There are videos and online info on how to check pad wear. However if you neglect them they will start to sequel, may see more brake dust on rim. Some cars have a filament embedded in the pad. When it is worn the filament breaks and triggers a light in cockpit. This of course is bad idea as you can damage brake disk...

Last edited: