Got a MIL code, can someone tell me what it means?

98JettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Went to autozone last night to check the MIL light.

code was: P1550
Their reader described it as Idle speed control auxiliary inputs

What the heck does that mean?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
according to the list on the bentley website it's: Charge Pressure Deviation

The deviation is between what is expected for turbo pressure and actual. It's usually related to the turbo control which are the N75 valve (gummed up) or holes in the little hoses - typically near the nipple fittings.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Yes it can be cleaned. Maybe use electronic parts cleaner - anyway, something that won't dissolve the rubber in it. Check those hoses, especially from N75 to the turbo. The turbo area is hot and the tubing can get a break there easier.

There can be other causes, but I think these are the most likely. There could be a compressed air piping/hose break or split that you could see from underneath; people have had a split rubber hose that I think connectected to the intercooler.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Re: Got a MIL code, can someone tell me what it me

Is the N75 something that can be cleaned or does it need to be replaced.

If replaced, how much $?

thanks!
About $80us, per reports from other members.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red

Take care when playing with the N-75 valve and its hoses! I can tell you from personal experience that it is VERY easy to break the nipples on the N-75 as the plastic gets brittle over time. I wound up having to swap with the EGR valve to get home and then ordered a new N-75 valve from Impex.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1

The cheaper fix is to replace the vacuum hoses (including the one in the ECM) and the blue and red hoses from the N75 to the turbo and wasetgate. I was thinking of replacing the N75 but started with the hoses. All of the hose may cost around $20. My CEL is gone and no more limp mode so far.

I would usually go into limpmode when I had the CEL, do you experience that? It is like you have lost all power until to restart the car.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d

See this post for some advice on how to diagnose and what to change. Many of these older models have experienced issues with boost control. Good luck!

candlink

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI

I have just been through the P1550 experience on my 1998 Jetta TDI, and the resolution to my problem is not quite like anything I've seen anyone suggest here before. I spent a lot of time reading through posts on the subject here at TDIClub.

I had the same problem everyone describes in this case... Car ran fine after start up, until I exceeded certain RPM or speed, depending on the gear I was in. I consistently ended up in the so-called "limp mode". I went through the process of checking and replacing all vacuum lines to the N75, replacing the N75 itself, and otherwise, plenty of head scratching.

Finally one day, I was determined that I was going to get into the intake duct near the EGR valve, expecting to find that it was severely plugged up, as you can find in several similar posts on this site. As I was removing the pressure return hose from the intercooler where it feeds air to the intake through the EGR, I discovered no soot buildup at all, and about a 2 inch crack in the rubber hose.

As an experiment, I got what I thought was some sturdy duct tape to seal the crack temporarily. It didn't last for very long, but it proved that I had found the problem, as I was experiencing power and boost like I hadn't experienced in this car before. Naturally, the local dealership parts counter wanted $93.XX for a replacement, so I took the defective hose, which happens to bear a strong resemblance to a standard radiator hose, to a local auto parts store. I convinced the parts monkey to let me into the back to find a radiator hose that had a similar bend in it with the same diameter. Two new clamps, and a $9.18 radiator hose cut to the appropriate length later, and I have now driven over 600 miles with no loss of power, and after about the first 35 miles, the check engine light went out and stayed out. Did a highway trip and maintained 75+ mph with the ability to accelerate on demand, well beyond that speed if I needed to... No problem.

Bottom line, if you're in limp mode and you have a P1550 engine code, closely check the integrity of your boost hoses between the turbo, the intercooler and the intake. There are several hoses in that path. I wasted $58 on an N75 valve and $10 on some new vacuum lines for no good reason.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
candlink... you put in radiator hose in the intake? If I read that right, you will need to get rid of that hose and get something in there that will live with the oil.

Check Impex or TDIparts or one of the other aftermarket vendors to see if they have the parts for cheaper.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Sure it's the 'wrong' hose, but it cost 10% of the price of the 'right' hose.

I'm willing to bet the 'wrong' hose is better value for money - not enough oil up there to destroy it quickly.

Simon

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
P2B said:
Sure it's the 'wrong' hose, but it cost 10% of the price of the 'right' hose.

I'm willing to bet the 'wrong' hose is better value for money - not enough oil up there to destroy it quickly.

Simon
Where will they be and what will they be doing when the hose fails?

Magic 8 Ball says...

"Answer is murky".

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Doggy, it is the wrong hose. It's also dirt cheap. It will last 30-40K. Just put the spare half in the trunk, and change PRN.

Only bad thing that happens if the hose fails is smoke, and the car gets, well, "doggy". :p

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
paramedick said:
Doggy, it is the wrong hose. It's also dirt cheap. It will last 30-40K. Just put the spare half in the trunk, and change PRN.

Only bad thing that happens if the hose fails is smoke, and the car gets, well, "doggy". :p
Or you lose passing power in a critical moment. A moment when the hose is most likely to fail such as under high load/high boost.

I'll quit my yappin' now.

candlink

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I appreciate the concern about the non-standard hose not lasting long, but I think I've been sufficiently backed up on the subject... I'll gladly pay 10% the cost (technically 5% since I'll get at least one more use out of the hose) and risk having to back out of a passing maneuver. I enjoy using the power that I get from full boost, but I'm also smart about how I pass traffic, on the very rare occasion that I find myself on two lane highways. If I'm far enough ahead of the traffic I'm passing that I couldn't slow down and duck back in behind him, then sudden limp mode isn't going to change anything. It doesn't take away existing speed, it just stops accelerating with any great efficiency. I drove 5000 miles in limp mode while I went through the troubleshooting effort... I'm not afraid of any limp mode!

Check the link that Paramedick posted right after my first post - they are all referring to aftermarket, autoparts store radiator hoses.