Which rear Strut Mount Round or Oval

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Other fellow members might kill me for this, but when I've replaced mine last summer, I used the old ones. I think they were oval.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
The back shocks are really easy. I did them last summer and had the same question. You can see the shape of the mount by just peeking inside the wheel well, that is what I did.

Salmonbum

TDI
'06 Jetta
The back shocks are really easy. I did them last summer and had the same question. You can see the shape of the mount by just peeking inside the wheel well, that is what I did.

Do you have any good DIY links? I plan on doing the front too. Any special tools for the rear? I know the front I need some.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Actually, I remember better now. The backs are a breeze in the mk4, but the springs are in the way on the mk5. But I managed to make space in between the turns of the spring and work that way.

Also, you will need a pretty big triple square bit. I forget the number but that DIY should have it listed.

hytron

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI - PD 1.9L
I just changed my rear shocks on MK5 and had to remove the springs. If you have good spring removal tool, it is easy to do it, I use the two clamps to compress the springs a bit, and then remove the bolt that holds the rear lower control arm attached to the bearing housing. Make sure you use jack under the control arm, because there is still some spring tension and you want to remove that tension slowwwly without the spring popping out and killing you. Just a bit extra work, but it is not that hard.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I don't think replacing the shock mounts is all that important, they are just metal, no bearing, no rubber, etc. Unless they are broken they should be fine to reuse.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
The rear shock mounts have a bushing inside. (I'm 99.99% sure of that.)

I replaced oval ones with round ones on my dad's '06. Bolt holes were in same place. No complaints so far.

Jerry_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Silver, 2006 Jetta White & Red, 2014 Passat
The rear shock mounts have a bushing inside. (I'm 99.99% sure of that.)
Yes rear mounts have rubber bushing, mine are off now and at 295k they look and feel fine. Springs on the other hand, both broken. Be sure to look closely at the springs, their failure is well documented. Both are broken at the bottom coil.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
Replace the shock mounts as the bushing is probably worn... this will affect noise and ride. When i had to replace shocks, the card had plenty of miles on it.