www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 13th, 2018, 18:30   #1
alaskax

Fuel Economy: 43
Default HPFP failure 1 week out from buyback!

If anything, can someone tell me where I might get some response to this thread? There is a TON of stuff on this topic, but the threads all seem old and "worn out". I'm hoping someone might have a good suggestion for me, but I don't know where I should be posting this topic. I have a hunch everyone is quite weary of it! Also, I want to add a few clear pics of my situation- how do you add pics to a thread??? I see no insert, and copy/paste does not work.
Catastrophic failure of HPFP on 2013 Sportwagen, scheduled to drive 20 miles to dealer for buyback Jan 16, 3 days from now. But now dead, as many others have experienced before, facing an ungodly repair bill. But I just want to get it there on it's own power for the buyback. Tons of metal particles in filter and HPFP, as my pics would show if I could figure out how to add them.
Main question: I don't want to pay $10K just to fix it and drive it 20 miles, and have them drive it around the block. I could get a rebuilt pump for $500 and replace the filter, but would that even make it there with all that metal everywhere? I would do that if I knew it would survive 20 miles! Anyone suggest what minimum I might do to just get it there?
Soon another 2015 Golf TDI for me before "all gone"
alaskax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 22:20   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

How many miles on the car? At one time VW was fixing these up to a certain mileage. If they can't be persuaded, I'd be looking for a used pump and probably some used injectors too. Usually the injectors aren't any good once the metal goes everywhere.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 02:51   #3
ksing44
Veteran Member

I donated my old pump to someone when this happened to him (I swapped my pump to a better CP3). His thread is at the link below. He used my pump, had to get new injectors and flushed all the lines and the tank at a local Indy. It cost $1200 with a donated pump. At the end of the thread, someone else confirmed a similar course of action and a similar price. It sounds like the minimum is to change the pump, get new injectors, and do complete flush of the lines and tank. Then drive as little as possible to get to the dealer for the buyback. There is hope!

I am Fu** , HPFP dead
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP - 11/8/2016 @ 139,848 miles, The Fix - 9/27/17 @153,289 miles

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:14   #4
alaskax

Fuel Economy: 43

Thanks I appreciate the link to the thread, which I just read. Sounds like at a minimum I need to find a HP pump, which I already knew, and maybe injectors, which is not a happy thought, but not much is with this. Car only has 34k miles.
I would like to get these parts used if possible, wonder how I can best request this... maybe posting on the dieselgate thread?
Soon another 2015 Golf TDI for me before "all gone"
alaskax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:36   #5
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Dieselgate thread?.... ah, no. 34k is very low miles, did you try to get VW to fix it? They did a warranty extension to 120k miles on the hpfp for '09-'12 tdi's. I'd try to charm them into fixing it first. You could try the parts for sale thread, but I think you'd have better luck contacting/searching salvage yards, looking on eBay and such. I also donated my hpfp to a guy with a failure, but not many will get that lucky.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:21   #6
PRY4SNO

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
34k is very low miles, did you try to get VW to fix it? They did a warranty extension to 120k miles on the hpfp for '09-'12 tdi's. I'd try to charm them into fixing it first.

Agree completely.

Impending buyback or not, 34k miles is well within the manufacturer's warranty.

Maybe try calling a different dealership first and asking gently about warranty coverage, and any possible conflicts with the buyback. Don't give your VIN if you can help it, don't need anything noted on your file, just yet.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 16:30   #7
ATR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskax View Post
Thanks I appreciate the link to the thread, which I just read. Sounds like at a minimum I need to find a HP pump, which I already knew, and maybe injectors, which is not a happy thought, but not much is with this. Car only has 34k miles.
I would like to get these parts used if possible, wonder how I can best request this... maybe posting on the dieselgate thread?
With 34k miles the dealer should be able to fix this car free of charge. This is well within the 60k powertrain warranty. One thing to note... do you have the receipt for when you last filled up just in case the dealer finds fuel contamination?

The extended warranty covers 2009-2012 models after the 60k power train warranty expires.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=442862

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 03:22   #8
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskax View Post
There is a for sale forum. At the link below, I searched the forum for "HPFP" and it looks like there are some hits with the pump and the injectors for sale. I checked some and they were sold, but I only checked a few.

HPFP for sale

There is also a thread with a list of folks that got the new CP3 pump. Posting in that thread might be a good place to ask if anyone has a used pump.

CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP - 11/8/2016 @ 139,848 miles, The Fix - 9/27/17 @153,289 miles

Flickr slideshow

Last edited by ksing44; January 15th, 2018 at 03:24.
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:54   #9
STRANGETDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
With 34k miles the dealer should be able to fix this car free of charge. This is well within the 60k powertrain warranty. One thing to note... do you have the receipt for when you last filled up just in case the dealer finds fuel contamination?

The extended warranty covers 2009-2012 models after the 60k power train warranty expires.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=442862
Unfortunately, the original poster has a 2013 model.
OLD: 1999.5 Golf GL TDI,Up'd,.216s,17 OZ Rims,Eibach Pro-Kit&Dampers,TT SS 2.5" Exst. 222,000 - Sold to Rossman83
STRANGETDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:12   #10
BrBa

Hopefully he has owned the car for less than 60 months. If so the powertrain warranty should still be in effect.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:03   #11
ATR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRANGETDI View Post
Unfortunately, the original poster has a 2013 model.
I'm well aware. Which is why I linked to the thread on the topic in my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrBa View Post
Hopefully he has owned the car for less than 60 months. If so the powertrain warranty should still be in effect.
This /\
Worst case scenario, call VWofA and see if they can goodwill the repair.

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***

Last edited by ATR; January 15th, 2018 at 11:06.
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 18:43   #12
travis45
Veteran Member

I upgraded to a cp3 and have my stock pump on my work bench. You want it? It may be enough to just change the pump to get it to run. Trailer it to the dealer and drive it in.
14 Sportwagen GTB2260vklr Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone custom tune, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS, Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD. Soon to install Colt billet stage 3 cams w/upgraded springs, ARP Headstuds.
travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 21:22   #13
msantram
Veteran Member

Faaaaaasaarck. Good luck to you OP. Sounds like the right idea ^

Swap the pump. Tow it to the dealer. Start and drive it ten feet. Sign the paperwork and hope for the best.

GL!
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:20   #14
msantram
Veteran Member

My buyback is scheduled for the 30th. I took out gear I added to the wagen, and now it won't stay on past the initial start. Not sure if the immobilizer is stopping it or if the fuel pump is not getting power. The car has been sitting since October and only been driven 1/4 of a mile. Replaced the battery in December which is measuring 12.86V. Going to pull codes to see what I can find.

My buyback is scheduled for next Tuesday! eeek! Anyone have any thoughts?
Old January 23rd, 2018, 17:58   #15
travis45
Veteran Member

Stock tune? Unplug the ASV.
14 Sportwagen GTB2260vklr Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone custom tune, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS, Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD. Soon to install Colt billet stage 3 cams w/upgraded springs, ARP Headstuds.
travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote