www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 9th, 2018, 12:13   #1
billy.whizz

TDI(s): golf mk6
Default disaster

I have a2010 1.6 tdi s mk6 golf common rail, the other half was driving it the other day, fuel was low so she filled up the tank too the top ,,, problem was she put in petrolthen drove it half a mile before it stopped.. had it recovered and they pumped out the petrol and changed the fuel filter . she then drove it home about 60 miles without problem ,, I tried it this morning, sounded and ran really well no problems. by rights it should have a scrap pump!!!!. the only thing that is different is ,I normaly, put in 50 mm per tank full of fuel of arch oil 6900d fuel conditioner ,she put this in with the petrol,, is it possible that it lubed the pump enough too save it from total damage ? what do you think guys ? thanks for looking.
billy.whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 12:41   #2
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

How much petrol did she add, and how large is the tank?

It is possible that the combination of the remaining diesel and the lubricant mitigated the lack of lubrication in the fuel.

You already know the CR pumps are very sensitive to this. If you want to check if you truly dodged a bullet, pull the fuel filter housing cap and inspect for metal particles.

If you see any of significance, at least you have a chance to replace just the pump, and not the entire fuel system should the pump fail catastrophically.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 13:32   #3
billy.whizz

Windex thanks for your reply, the tank has around a 50 litre capacity, and the gauge showed about 5 miles left empty . when they pumped out flushed the system they fitted a new filter so they would have seen any bits in the bowl ( maybe) but yes its probably worth a look now its done a few miles. she filled the tank with about 45 litres and added some archoil 6900d concentrate (50 mm) which is a lubricant and cetain booster and cleaner all in one.
Old January 10th, 2018, 00:22   #4
Henrick
Veteran Member

It's too early to judge yet. Drive some miles, then pull the fuel filter for inspection.
Note that after you open up the fuel canister, you will need to prime the fuel system using OBD tool and software.
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 03:23   #5
TRAMPLINEMAN

TDI(s): JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrick View Post
Note that after you open up the fuel canister, you will need to prime the fuel system using OBD tool and software.
No, you donít. Iíve changed my fuel filter every 10K miles for 400K miles and never once needed an OBD tool or software. I know many others who do it the same way as I do and have never had a problem.
TRAMPLINEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:06   #6
billy.whizz

ive changed the fuel filter before on this one, easy too change but I deff needed vcds too get the fuel pumped through, I tried without and it wouldn't work. I'm thinking of running it for a while then I will check the filter bowl.
Old January 13th, 2018, 05:34   #7
billy.whizz

Guys, after doing a few miles , I lifted the fuel filter and checked inside, nothing clean no bits no swarf nothing, so I'm still no way closer too understanding why it didn't wreck the pump,one thing I did was too check with my insurance , they said that they would pay out for a miss fuel and any damage, although when we discussed this they said that the car would be scrap /total loss if any damage too the fuel system, would just need a engineer to visit and check it. so at the moment its on file as happened and if it blows later then I will get paid for it. I love the car and I'm not sure what I would buy if it died. love the diesel power and get up and go compared too petrol ,but with all the ho har over diesel cars maybe I will have too change over too petrol.
Old January 16th, 2018, 21:50   #8
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Mostly because gasoline won't necessarily trash the HPFP if a small amount of gas is pumped before the engine quites.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 13:00   #9
billy.whizz

seems your probably right, althought it was half a miles worth of petrol that it took in before it got shut off. anyways its running just as it always did now ,so will keep driving for a while. thanks for the replys.