www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 2nd, 2018, 16:54   #1
jesssssser

Thumbs up Cold weather Tdi question

Where I live we've been having some real cold weather, I'm talking single digits on the F scale. I've got no block heater or trickle charger.

I haven't have any issues starting whatsoever! Every seems to post on here with negative stuff, so I wanted to bring in some positive vibes!

Also, how do I completely disable the traction control, is that doable w/o vagcom? I want to be able to pull some doughnuts in the snow!

Here's a picture what an oil change looks like in the snow. https://i.imgur.com/7SJ2GLg.jpg

Happy New Year all!

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; January 10th, 2018 at 12:07.
jesssssser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 17:28   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Front wheel drive is pretty terrible for doughnut making fun. You should find an empty lot and try some e-brake slides- that's about as good as you'll get with fwd.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:20   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Please try resizing your picture to 800x600. As you see it blows the margins out on the page and makes it difficult to read. Plan those changes so they happen in warmer temps.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:07   #4
calimustang
Veteran Member

With FWD its hard to do donuts, best to use e-brake. Thats what i did when I went to achicago with my TDI. Her forst and last time seeing snow and there was some salt there and thankfully no rust on my car so far. Anyway Have fun!

PS I dont think I ever can survive doing the oil change in that crazy frigid temp. LOL

2015 Passat TDI with 22k miles on 5/6/2018, completely stock. Black exterior and black interior, 5% tints all around. Now 30k on 8/12/2018.
calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 15:41   #5
jesus_man
Veteran Member

I too have been happy when my little car starts in single digit temps. I usually cycle the key three times for about 10 seconds each. This morning it started harder than usual, but she still did. Gives me more confidence in her!

2009 JSW TDI DSG - sold back to VW
2002 VW Passat Wagon, 6spd, silver Family hauler! - Euro Spec

2006 Jetta TDI Bought 6/25/06 (traded in 10/2009 @ 43mpg
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:44   #6
murphyslaw
Veteran Member

I am in my 4th winter with my TDI. It has never not started. There was one day at -34F when I forgot to plug it in, it did not like it but it started. I don't plug in till 0, and at that its just an oil pan heater and it runs for about an hr to hr half before I fire it up. Planning on a frost fighter install this spring thou. I know she will be alot happier that way. And so will I becuase 10 minutes driving a freezing ass cold car sucks.

2014 JSW Sunroof/Nav non-DSG
murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:49   #7
jesus_man
Veteran Member

What quality options are there out there for engine pre-heaters?

Once upon a time I wanted to design a Thermostatically controlled timer. It would measure the temp at certain times and either turn on or not.

Old January 6th, 2018, 09:32   #8
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
What quality options are there out there for engine pre-heaters?

Once upon a time I wanted to design a Thermostatically controlled timer. It would measure the temp at certain times and either turn on or not.

Frostheater makes a nice kit. the heater includes a thermostat, which turns on and off the electric heater as needed to maintain coolant temperature.

http://www.frostheater.com/

https://www.idparts.com/frostheater-m-137.html

idparts sells them too, and will bundle coolant with the kit.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:31   #9
jesus_man
Veteran Member

Perfect! Thanks!

Last winter it only froze here a handful of nights. So far this winter it's hasn't gotten above freezing since Christmas! But looks like the cycle breaks Monday.

Old January 10th, 2018, 12:08   #10
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Don't forget to use the proper fuel additive to prevent gelling in cold weather. This seems to be a pretty common problem this year in the eastern half of the US for whatever reason.

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/...-cetane-boost/

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 20:41   #11
PRY4SNO

Fuel Economy: Impressive

One really nice OEM option is the Euro/Canada spec coolant/block heater. It works great here in -40. Tonight it'll be -28C, and I don't think twice about the car even with only 1/4 tank of fuel (and no additive in this tank :P ). I'll plug in the car any time it's going to be lower than -10C overnight. I've left it out in -24C overnight and it started fine but I don't like to tempt fate, nor stress the TDI unless necessary (IE. staying at a hotel, or in a parking lot overnight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Don't forget to use the proper fuel additive to prevent gelling in cold weather. This seems to be a pretty common problem this year in the eastern half of the US for whatever reason.

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/...-cetane-boost/
Agreed. I use that same additive as well, seem to get 40-50 miles better per tank.

One reason the fuel is likely to gel in the eastern US this year is that they don't typically expect so much cold weather at the refineries, and it takes some time to turnaround the equipment for winterized production. If they weren't planning on it you could be stuck with basically a summer blend.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 01:33   #12
Wascally Wabbit

TDI(s): 2010 TDI

+1 on the frostheater. I put one on my tdi before moving to Alaska and it worked flawlessly for years, however I never felt I ever really needed it as I never had an issue when I didn't plug it in. But it is nice to have the heater blow warm air right away.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote