Car Talk Slams TDI's Again!

Greg Yohn

Veteran Member
Car Talk Slams TDI\'s Again!

http://cartalk.cars.com/Radio/Show/Audio/200236/RA/s03.ram

This link shows Car Talk is anti VW!!
Have they ever driven a TDI? The call in listener drives 100,000 miles a yr. Isn't the New Beetle the most comfortable seat among the TDI's in America? They suggested the guy get a Toyota Camry! The VW Rally boys need to speak to these guys!! The listener can drive his car on cooking oil, too with a TDI!

BRBarian

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Five Golf TDIs!
Re: Car Talk Slams TDI\'s Again!

It was interesting that they said NO right away to the TDI, and then hemmed and hawed for a reason, finally settling on "uncomfortable seats".

I'd say that they're disingenuous.

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green

It's common knowledge that VW installs more uncomfortable seats in TDI equipped vehicles. It's for safety. If someone drove through a complete tank of fuel without stopping, there is a risk that they might fall asleep before they need to fill up. One other reason is that chance of blatter infections are increased while driving a TDI (especially the passengers).

I thought you guys were TDI experts. Car talk knows what they are talking about.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)

I've lost respect for those guys. Their show is all about getting a laugh, and they're constantly cackling over their own quips. Who needs them ?

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

BTW, I can vouch for the comfort of MY TDI's seats. I drove 2400 miles round trip from Iowa to my mom's in NM and back again and my back and ass didn't bother me one bit. Those guys are full of ****. I used to like their show too.

MotorCityTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Indigo Blue Jetta Wagon

I hate to say it, but they are reacting like many in the general population. Everytime I mention that I drive a diesel, I get the "why the heck do you do that" look. True genius and forsight aren't qualities everybody share.

Chuck101

The TDI is utterly perfect for this guy! I am going to email click and clack and tell them to stay off the Crack!

I hate it when people just blindly recommend a car without hearing all the details.
This guy's fuel for the year with a TDI assuming 100,000 miles @ 50 mpg and gas @ 1.50/ gal is $3000

Fuel for the year with a honda is: $4843.75 @ 32 mpg and 1.55/gal

I'll take that $1843.75 and big old
straight to the bank!!

Just Some Guy

Veteran Member

Originally posted by Chuck101:
The TDI is utterly perfect for this guy! I am going to email click and clack and tell them to stay off the Crack!

I hate it when people just blindly recommend a car without hearing all the details.
This guy's fuel for the year with a TDI assuming 100,000 miles @ 50 mpg and gas @ 1.50/ gal is $3000

Fuel for the year with a honda is: $4843.75 @ 32 mpg and 1.55/gal

I'll take that $1843.75 and big old
straight to the bank!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Chuck, now all you have to do is figure in for all the parts that go bad on the VW, and add that to your figures.

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green

I have never liked those clowns. They're not funny and not informative! The people who find their advice useful shouldn't own cars.

Having just logged 4350 miles (20 different states) over a 17 day period, I can attest that my 98 Jetta TDI is a very comfortable and reliable car. Ans spending only $125 in fuel don't hoit eeda!!!

D'nardo

Kubla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi Q5

Sent the "guys" the following Email, not that it will do any good

Once again on your radio show, you told some one to avoid the VW TDI in favor of a toyota camry.
Why do you so hate the VW TDI that you steer everyone away from them, have you ever driven one for any length of time?

In reference to your reason about the seats, I have owned my New Beetle TDI for over a year and have never had a car with more comfortable seats, and I have owned a toyota camry in the past

I have never had a problem starting it even on the coldest day in Ohio and it will hold any speed on any hill in cruise, somthing my 5 speed camry would not do on any long grade in 5th gear (4 cyl camry)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

Originally posted by Just Some Guy:
Chuck, now all you have to do is figure in for all the parts that go bad on the VW, and add that to your figures.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm, let's see... things not covered under warranty thus far...

1 MAF sensor, bought from a TDIclub member for $100

2 Headlights @ $7.50 each

Total: $115.00

Not bad eh? BTW, my car has 47,000 miles on it now. What's this about VWs falling apart?

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta

Originally posted by VeeDubTDI:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Just Some Guy:
Chuck, now all you have to do is figure in for all the parts that go bad on the VW, and add that to your figures.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm, let's see... things not covered under warranty thus far...

1 MAF sensor, bought from a TDIclub member for $100

2 Headlights @ $7.50 each

Total: $115.00

Not bad eh? BTW, my car has 47,000 miles on it now. What's this about VWs falling apart?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lets add in the suspension parts that you had to replace because a simple hit with a curb screwed up the suspension... it was the sort of curb hopping I do on purpose with other cars, and they dont fall apart when i hit a curb. so why vw?

[ September 09, 2002, 14:56: Message edited by: car 54 ]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

But that was my fault, not the car's.

edit: and one of your cars has been broken down for the past couple of months, one had the exhuast pipe fall off of it, one doesn't have a working electrical system, another has blown oil seals in the turbos, and one sits in your garage cuz the neighbors call the cops on you when it's junking up your driveway.

[ September 09, 2002, 15:03: Message edited by: VeeDubTDI ]

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI

Originally posted by spoilsport:
I've lost respect for those guys
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I listen to NPR a lot (what does that say about me?...). When I tuned-in to the show for the first time almost 2 years ago, I thought to myself, "Cool, a car show on radio".

After listening for about 5 minutes, I was thoroughly disgusted and convinced these Fric and Frac PhDs are a pair of morons.

You've lost respect for them? I never had any.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP

Hi Folks, I even emailed those bafoons awhile back when they bashed the idea of a TDI on that lady from Michigan. I was very respectful but to the point and I really don't think these clowns are worth any more of our efforts. Let them drive their Camry's because they will know they are wrong in due ULSD time, if you know what I mean. Later!

BlueBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2000, Bright Blue & Yellow, Things & Wings rolling advertisement

It does no good to E-mail them. They are owned by the gas lobby. I dare say that they could not pull their heads out of Honda's and Toyota's a** if they tried!

-Tim

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"

They are owned by the gas lobby
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The same gas lobby that refines diesel fuel? What is your point?

Boris

I think they are a lost cause on the TDI issue. After I calmed down a little I wondered why I even care what those boneheads think. Let the rest of the U.S. not get it. I think my time would be better spent trying to talk a nice "gas" station owner into adding a biodiesel pump in Indianapolis. I am almost out of Biodiesel from the TDI fest, and the thought of going back to dino-diesel and losing my quieter, smoother, engine makes me sad.

Ok, I am still a little irritated...I can understand that they might not get it when it comes to the TDI, but I can't believe how they just summarily dismiss the TDI even when the caller brings it up!! Geez...

tt16v

TDI
tt16v

3 words as said by autoweek among other magazines "CLASS LEADING INTERIOR" most auto mags are coming around to vw's interior quality and if you were to look in a new jap. car you would be very disapointed. And the first ting i look at is seat qulity! soft cheap feeling foam and material is commonplace in cars these days

karlkoenig

Veteran Member

Car talk recommend a Camry to every caller who is unhappy about their car or looking for a new one.

I was skeptical about VWs and TDIs before my wife and I purhcased her 2001 Jetta VR6 Wagon. Since then i have been nothing less than impressed with it and purchased a 2002 Golf GLS TDI in October of 2001.

I think the car talk guys are funny and all, but not all that well informed. I think they need to visit a VW lot again and see what VW has done with their lineup over the past 5-7 years. It is truely impressive where VW has been and where they are today.

Karl

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

They're always recommending Colt Vista's as used cars. Well, I happen to own one that hasn't moved in 3-4 months because it's falling apart and runs like ****!

Boris

I caught the tail end of that call--the guy currently drives a 99 Nissan Sentra with at ton of miles, because he drives all day long. I was just listening and thinking "this guy needs a TDI but the click and clack dopes will never mention it"...Well, then the caller mentions the TDI as an option, and all they did was say no immediately and then hemmed and hawed for a reason, which they never did give (seats? for crying out loud the guy has a Sentra now and didn't indicate that it was too small and that he needed a big "gunboat" Camry). Well then I got really annoyed, what is their deal with the TDI?? This happened one other time when a woman called in from Michigan asking about a TDI...I think they said Michigan was too cold for a diesel and that the TDI was smoky and slow.

I like listening to them and they are funny. But it just amazes me how they refuse to learn, or even consider even when prompted by listeners, anything new.

I wish I could get the callers' number so I could give them the name of this web site.

[ September 09, 2002, 13:36: Message edited by: Boris ]

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS

My Brother in Law was shopping for a new car. I pushed hard for him to try a Jetta TDI. He did, albeit a gasser, he passed. His comment... "The seats were too hard". Well, you can fix a lot of things but... You can't fix stupid.

I love my firm seats. Too hard? No WAY. I must admit, my mother's NB leathers are noticeably harder than my Golf's cloth ones. On a long trip, the jury's out on hers. On mine, I love 'em.

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black

I've added 120k km's to my car since I got it, and my driver's seat ass-groove is perfect. Not too soft not too hard just right

jnc

A story I heard in the past. This was supposed to be a conversation between Henry Ford and Ferrari in the early 60's about the coming of Japanese cars.

"If you can't tell the difference between a Bugatti and a Toyota, you might as well drive the Toyota"

I'm sure someone will correct me and find the actual quote.

Just Some Guy

Veteran Member

Originally posted by 20IndigoBlue02:
They don't realize Toyota MoCo uses the VW Jetta & Passat as their benchmark for interior NVH levels.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL, go drive a 1.8 B5 and then go drive a 2.2 Camry and see who won THAT one...