www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old May 12th, 2015, 08:15   #61
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Never high enough but always trying for more.... (See signature)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphauler View Post
Used a generic scan tool last night had two codes. 2544 which is for the EGT sensor I replaced...not sure why it hadn't cleared on its own. My friend cleared the code. The other code is 2463 which is for excessive soot. We started the car and let it run for a minute and 2544 didn't come back on but 2463 did. Now that the egt sensor code is cleared (at least for now), will the computer allow a regen?
Tomorrow, I have a 1 hour drive to work, and I'd like to take the car to see if it'll regen. Is there a way to tell if the car's doing a regen? It'd be nice if a dashboard light came on during a regen.
When at idle, the fans will be on full blast and you'll notice elevated rpms. Normal idle rpm should be around 830-850 and during regen it will be up over 1000. If your 1hr drive is a straight commute at hwy speeds on cruise control, you may feel a "slight" drop in power when the regen starts, almost like a flutter. Also, if you turn the car off, fans will keep going (sounds like car is going to take off in flight!) and car will smell quite hot and you may be able to feel the heat rolling out from under the car.

A light seems like SUCH an easy win for VW and I can't understand why it's not part of all the vehicles that it applies too. I use a Scangauge II to monitor EGT before and after DPF among other parameters (initially bought for boost gauge function back in 2006 for my last TDI).

Last edited by Mrrogers1; May 12th, 2015 at 08:19.
Mrrogers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:08   #62
Saphauler

Fuel Economy: BEW-57 Summer, S/W 48'ish

Thanks for the reply.

It's about 3/4 hr back roads at 45mph and 1/4hr at highway speeds.

it's my wife's car, so I don't drive it much, but I have noticed the fan on when the car's shut off.

I found someone in Mass with a VCDS...about 45 min from work. Do you see an issue with making the trip down to have it hooked up? I'm not sure how far you can drive the car with the DPF light on if it decides not to do a regen cycle tomorrow morning. I'll have a 1.5hr drive back home.
Saphauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:15   #63
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

It's about 3/4 hr back roads at 45mph and 1/4hr at highway speeds.

it's my wife's car, so I don't drive it much, but I have noticed the fan on when the car's shut off.

I found someone in Mass with a VCDS...about 45 min from work. Do you see an issue with making the trip down to have it hooked up? I'm not sure how far you can drive the car with the DPF light on if it decides not to do a regen cycle tomorrow morning. I'll have a 1.5hr drive back home.
So the DPF emissions CIL light is on, staying on? I would say the drive is well worth it as we can check the soot level with VCDS and get precise details that a generic scanner will never give. IIRC we can force a regen using VCDS as well. I don't know know far you can drive with the actual fault going on but maybe someone who's had it fail/fill up can give us an idea. Mine is still good at 160k and will be removed when it does fail.

*If the fans were on and stayed on when you shut the car down, unless it was a REALLY hot day, the car was definitely doing a regen cycle.
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:10   #64
Saphauler

Thanks for the reassurance. I've got the trip lined up for tomorrow night.

Interesting to note. On my way to getting the sensor replaced, I was getting 48mpg with a highway/mountain/back road 5hr driving trip. The drive home wasn't as good because I was maintaining high rev's trying to clear the DPF out (my thought anyways.)
Old May 12th, 2015, 14:07   #65
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance. I've got the trip lined up for tomorrow night.

Interesting to note. On my way to getting the sensor replaced, I was getting 48mpg with a highway/mountain/back road 5hr driving trip. The drive home wasn't as good because I was maintaining high rev's trying to clear the DPF out (my thought anyways.)
Well, high rev's don't always equal high load which is one of the values (from what I understand) that the computer is looking for to kick off the regen. I recommend connecting with the guy and use the VCDS to check all codes stored (auto-scan) then check the DPF in particular and force a regen.
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:47   #66
Saphauler

Mrrogers. Appreciate your help with this.

Drove to work and glow plug light still flashing and DPF light on solid. Car's running fine. I stopped periodically during my trip, and I didn't catch it during a regen, so I'm assuming it never did one.
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:45   #67
Gizzmo_jr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Regens can be blocked if the Calculated Soot is too high.
Get use of that VCDS and measure block 241.3 and try enable "on the move" or idle regen.
Old May 13th, 2015, 09:58   #68
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmo_jr View Post
Regens can be blocked if the Calculated Soot is too high.
Get use of that VCDS and measure block 241.3 and try enable "on the move" or idle regen.
Thanks for sharing that. Never seen that illustration before.

Quote:
Mrrogers. Appreciate your help with this.

Drove to work and glow plug light still flashing and DPF light on solid. Car's running fine. I stopped periodically during my trip, and I didn't catch it during a regen, so I'm assuming it never did one.
No problem at all man. Like Gizzmo_jr said, get to the VCDS and see what's going on. You might even think of buying a Ross-tech cable yourself. Hey have a new version that while it only works on a smaller number of vehicles, is much less that the previous versions. I have the one that works on all the cars but it only gets used on Jetta's and Passat's, unfortunately, no Bentleys. :-D

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Old May 13th, 2015, 10:10   #69
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

If you are in that pink stage with all three lights on, a regular regen is not possible. The car should not be driven until a service regeneration can be initiated with the scan tool (VCDS or equivalent).

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 10:21   #70
Saphauler

Thanks guys.

After going through this, I'm considering buying my own VCDS. It wouldn't take more than a few visits to VW to pay for itself. I have an '05 VW, so I think I need the $350 version of the tool.

Looking at the graph, I have the blinking glow plug plus the DPF, but no CIL. Not sure where I fall on the graph. I'm going to print this page and bring this with me tonight.

Is there a thread on the forum that discusses the different phases of the regen process and explains the "on the move" or idle regen? I'd like a better understanding of how all this works to avoid future issues.
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:53   #71
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks guys.

After going through this, I'm considering buying my own VCDS. It wouldn't take more than a few visits to VW to pay for itself. I have an '05 VW, so I think I need the $350 version of the tool.

Looking at the graph, I have the blinking glow plug plus the DPF, but no CIL. Not sure where I fall on the graph. I'm going to print this page and bring this with me tonight.

Is there a thread on the forum that discusses the different phases of the regen process and explains the "on the move" or idle regen? I'd like a better understanding of how all this works to avoid future issues.
Order from Ross-Tech now and don't drive to possibly save $700 (DPF replacement minus Ross-Tech) and you can use the $250 version of the cable/plug. http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:32   #72
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Here are the first five hits from Google "regeneration site:tdiclub.com"

Gauges: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360498
Emergency regen: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=334430
How to know: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=345066
Dos and don'ts: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=429842
General: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=343410

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:37   #73
Gizzmo_jr
Veteran Member

pg65 of Self Study Program 826803 2.0 Liter TDI Common Rail BIN5 ULEV Engine is where that image is. That whole document is wealth of information about how the TDI works in the Mk6.
Old May 13th, 2015, 19:56   #74
Saphauler

Good info there. Thanks.

Mostly highway, so I took the risk and drove down to meet the guy. He's going to email me the log file...I'll post it when I get it. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like this:
92,000 miles
90ml particulate filter oil ash volume
50.1 soot load calculated
0g soot load measured
1500km since regen

In the numbers above, why is the soot load measured = 0g? Chris and I were trying to figure it out. We weren't sure if there was a bad sensor reading or something. Also, I don't know if I mentioned that I replaced the EGT sensor 1, but I got the wrong sensor. Mine is 088EJ and the one I got is 088L...not sure if the different sensor would make a difference.

In the end, the soot levels are too high, so it wouldn't do an emergency regen. Since I was a ways from home, I didn't want to trick it into an emergency regen in case there were any issues. I'm getting a VCDS shipped tomorrow, so I can do the emergency regen at home.
Old May 13th, 2015, 21:03   #75
Gizzmo_jr
Veteran Member

0g for Soot Load Measured, is real-time value and because you were highway driving is why it went down to 0, passive regeneration.
I spent a week watching Calculated&Measured to find out when I had to park the car (waiting for parts, calculated <40g).

50.1 from my reading the max value for calculated, and there's no procedures to get it to initiate a regen besides replacing the DPF now. Failsafe for a plugged DPF and chance of catching fire.
Some have tried anyways to get it go down, and done a 'work around'

There are companies who will service DPFs, since replacement new is so expensive. Or checkout ForSale section, off-roader's take them off.