How To extend glow time with Vag-com - ALH

2005passatsteve

TDI
2005 passat tdi wagon, 2004 Jetta TDI, 1992 Jetta TD, 1997 Jetta TD, 1991 Passat Gas wagon converted to Standard tranny and TD.
My car is the 2005 passat. From this thread, I'm not able to adjust GP timing and temp offset. This might explain why VW recall, and recall on the recall still failed to start well - because they can't fix it unless you put a new computer in, which they would NEVER own up to.

neroimparat

TDI
Octavia 2 2.0 TDI BKD DSG year 2005
Hello,
I have a question about the slow start at high altitude, from what I understand of the forum while acts the glow plugs should be greater at high altitude and lower altitude lower.
To understand why y say, my car goes start very bad winter at high altitude and star nice at low altidude, any attitude sensor?what advise me to do?
My car: skoda octavia 2 2.0tdi 16v PD BKD DSG year 2005(Europe, made for germany)
Thank, wait for response, i'm desperate.

Highway Star

TDI
Transporter T4 - 2000 phase 3 - 2.5 L TDI automatic
Hi ! Just did the mod using $ 100 VAG401 X-tool I have set it at 32650 and it said 2.5 sec glow time @ 15 °C.
This might seem like a bit overdone, but the engine needs it to start easily.
As I just replaced all 5 plugs (all of them old ones were still glowing when tested and kept as spares), I will keep track of how long they last.
Thanks for this post Wingnut.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
According to the label (subscribed) on this Thread, I am supposed to be subscribed... meaning I posted a comment.

I've scrolled through all 13 pages three times and done a search to no avail! So, what's up with this Thread? Where is my post!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
You can subscribe without posting. Or you can post, then delete your message, but remain subscribed.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I have a 15 Audi A3 8V platform and have VCDS and I cant find where on VCDS to change the glow time. I posted on the Ross-Tech forum but have not heard anything back yet

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I have a 15 Audi A3 8V platform and have VCDS and I cant find where on VCDS to change the glow time. I posted on the Ross-Tech forum but have not heard anything back yet
I don't think you can change glow plugs time. These cars have no problem starting in cold weather.

Milkiemitch

TDI
Mk4golf tdi
Done this to mine and I can say starts no problem in mornings now,so thanks as it was driving me mad after replacing everything else, so happy now big thumbs up

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Damn it, can't adjust my PD but will do this to my wife's ALH.

MartW

TDI
Audi A6 2.5TDI 110kW
hi @wingnut
I would like to extend the glow time by my car (A6 2,5 TDI AFB).
The difference to your how to is: i do not need to login to adapt values higher than 32768.
But values over 32768 reduce glow time. So I need also to reduce the value. But this is impossible. I can tipp in a value lower that but i can't test or save that.
What do you think about this?
Schneeflocke
I have 1999 Audi A6 with 2.5TDI AFB engine and the same problem.
Maybe someone has found a solution to this problem?
Reducing the value with "down" button doesn't help. Still can't save the new value...
PS. Login code used 26262

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
I have 1999 Audi A6 with 2.5TDI AFB engine and the same problem.
Maybe someone has found a solution to this problem?
Reducing the value with "down" button doesn't help. Still can't save the new value...
PS. Login code used 26262
I have a 2004 audi a4 2.5TDI BAU engine code and i was able to extend the glow time without loging in i went to adaptation and i chose the glow time extension from the list (channel12) and changed the number to 32700 and saved it and it worked i think that you should have the same ecu as me.

MartW

TDI
Audi A6 2.5TDI 110kW
I have a 2004 audi a4 2.5TDI BAU engine code and i was able to extend the glow time without loging in i went to adaptation and i chose the glow time extension from the list (channel12) and changed the number to 32700 and saved it and it worked i think that you should have the same ecu as me.
Tried again with cold engine. No success. Doesn't matter if i do logging or not, still can't reduce the adaption value.

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat
From my research: am I correct in that if I don’t have any codes my GPs and harness are working normally? It was 5 degrees a couple days ago and it took 5-7 seconds of cranking engine to start. So I’m gonna try this GP trick and see if that helps. Otherwise could be a starter and/or battery issue. I noticed this earlier this winter and assumed battery. O’Reillys tested battery and alternator and both checked ok. So I just want to confirm the car would tell me if any GPs failed and/or if the harness is bad (I have a spare harness and set of plugs).

If this trick doesn’t help perhaps it’s my starter...

I have a 2002 with 179K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
So is 9.95s the maximum it uses? My coolant was -15.3C and no matter what value I used it never changed from 9.95.

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
Per a previous post: anything above 32768 decreases glow time....I’m going with that and left it at 32768. I guess since it’s so cold I can’t confirm if changes in adaptation is actually doing anything?

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
From my research: am I correct in that if I don’t have any codes my GPs and harness are working normally? It was 5 degrees a couple days ago and it took 5-7 seconds of cranking engine to start. So I’m gonna try this GP trick and see if that helps. Otherwise could be a starter and/or battery issue. I noticed this earlier this winter and assumed battery. O’Reillys tested battery and alternator and both checked ok. So I just want to confirm the car would tell me if any GPs failed and/or if the harness is bad (I have a spare harness and set of plugs).

If this trick doesn’t help perhaps it’s my starter...

I have a 2002 with 179K miles.

I had an A3 so not certain if the A4s operate the same, but the ECU in my A3 would monitor GPs 1-2 and 3-4 to look for a difference between the pairs to trip the glow plug code. So if both pairs are bad but read the same to the ECU it won't trip the code.

I'd suggest testing for continuity on each glow plug by removing the harness. I would then test for 12v at each plug on the harness with the key on.

Additionally you could remove each glow plug and put 12v direct to them as a test, each glow plug should get bright red the entire length of the plug within 10 seconds of being energized.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Per a previous post: anything above 32768 decreases glow time....I’m going with that and left it at 32768. I guess since it’s so cold I can’t confirm if changes in adaptation is actually doing anything?

lower adaptation number increases glow time

2005passatsteve

TDI
2005 passat tdi wagon, 2004 Jetta TDI, 1992 Jetta TD, 1997 Jetta TD, 1991 Passat Gas wagon converted to Standard tranny and TD.
My jetta has 440,000km. Cranks great normal but in -15 or lower it is slow (diesel needs 600rpm approx min). I put a new starter on for $220. Night and day!!! Even at -29C it cranked over so fast! It started in only a few revolutions.
Because i am PD and my highest adaptation for some reason is 30,000 (and it is less GP time than the original 00000 value), i added a manual push button in my dash. I soldered 4 wires (trailer wiring) to each wire under hood just before it goes to the plugs. I soldered that to a main thick wire and ran it to the button. I fed the power to the button from one of the strip fuses on the battery. I tested it with a volt meter, and its awesome. Only snag is that the system is programmed to be full to the plugs, then immediately drop to 5v, so my button with 12v is scary - jusy 2-3sec max maybe.

2005passatsteve

TDI
Great job! I was always told minimum rpm to start a diesel ignition process was 600rpm (from a diesel pump repair facility) back in the old 1980's years. Reviewing your reply, i dug up the specs of "150-250" to ignite with heat of compression of air and the injected fuel into that heated zone. Man, even 300 sounds really really slow. I will put tach tape on my balancer and see what i get one day. I know for a fact that i LOVE my new starter!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I've read 300 rpm here at TDI Club, and I've read 275 rpm. Whichever it is, anything lower results in fuel not being injected. Obviously the faster it cranks the more likely the engine is to start.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I've read 300 rpm here at TDI Club, and I've read 275 rpm. Whichever it is, anything lower results in fuel not being injected. Obviously the faster it cranks the more likely the engine is to start.
I though 250 cranking RPM was the cutoff for no fuel injection, but I may be confusing that number with my 2003 sprinter.

As far as extending glow period goes, I don't really see the point, I've started my Jetta at -30F at high elevation and I've never messed with the glow duration. If you feel you need to do this you have something else that needs to be fixed, not the glow duration.

$.02

2005passatsteve

TDI
Something else wrong: yes! My car (jetta+passat PD's) used to start awesome, even in timmins. Then i did the stupid glow plug recall because ceramics were breaking off inside. They changed the voltage to the new s.steel ones. Then nobody's car would start, and they recalled the recall! My passat was hooked up for a full day directly to VW tech from the dealer and they couldnt get it to program. They were at the point of replacing the ecu (wish we did). My thoughts were, looking at Diesel Gate, was this was very first sign of "reverting back mode" but nobody understood what they were seeing. Anyway, it was not a good recall for me!

Ccyt

TDI
B5 Passat 2010 GTI
Wow this is really amazing. But how you guys know where to put a number that will modified that specific function wow you guys r wizards!!! Really Really good explanations top of the line

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Just go to the Wiki page on Ross-Tech's website. Coding is explained. The first thing that you should do with VCDS, if you haven't already, is to run a full Auto Scan to get the baseline information on your car. That will save all of the existing coding so you can refer to it if you mess something up and need to restore it.

Wow this is really amazing. But how you guys know where to put a number that will modified that specific function...

04colyZQ8

TDI
Beetle alh
Mmm I’m confused how do I set the ok temp of the glow plug time? Do you need to manually extend the glow plug time per degree of Celsius? I’d need a pot resister wired in the cts? And take several hrs to hot each coolant temp 5, 6, 7, 8c, etc.. and individually change them to 36700?