TDI in a Toyota pickup

Smog

Registered Vendor
TDI
Jetta4 1999.5
RoundHouse said:
DO the D4D bolt to a yota 5 speed?
Do you have to swap the pump?

Most industrial diesels have a pump that no good for a car engine.
the D4D Hilux is available in puerto rico...

just import an engine from a junkyard

... or just get the pump from overseas (australia is an example).

it's something anybody can do.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Umm, the D4-D common-rail motor is used in industrials? Sure about that? Which versions- they come from 1.4l to 3l...

More likely to the the 2L, 2C, or 1KZ I'd guess.

You'd need all the same gubbins as for a TDI swap- ECU, loom, likely cluster and immo etc.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
DPM said:
Umm, the D4-D common-rail motor is used in industrials? Sure about that? Which versions- they come from 1.4l to 3l...

More likely to the the 2L, 2C, or 1KZ I'd guess.

You'd need all the same gubbins as for a TDI swap- ECU, loom, likely cluster and immo etc.
The 2L is the one that cracks heads often at $1800 per, right?

In my web surfing, it seems all the Aussies are tossing them for the Lexus 4.0 V-8 gasser, which admittedly is a tempting swap. either that or a Ford 5.0 from a rustang.

Last edited:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Both L and C series will crack heads, the smaller C-series will boil and bend even in a lightly loaded Corolla...

Dieseltoys

Vendor
TDI
Toyota Diesel
I can assure all of you that the D-4d does not come in forklifts and is not available in Puerto Rico either. If you are not sure about something, please dont post it.

Last edited:

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
From my research, the 1KZ seemed like a very good engine. The reliability and power to weight ratio is superior to previous Toyota diesels. However, I also found they were not easy to import into the US (Texas can comment on that) and it also appeared to be best to import as a half-clip.

Because I am attempting to do a low-budget swap, the 1KZ half-cut was out of my price range. Again, Texas can comment on the price of a 1KZ half cut.

There is a fair amount of info at:

http://www.toyotadieselmadness.com/
http://www.jarcoinc.com/inventory/
http://dieselhead.net/inventory.html

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
turbo crack

Here is the pick of the turbo's crack. It's a little tough to see, but the crack is in the middle of the cast iron flange, where it gets thin. :(

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I would rock it, I seriously wouldnt get a new turbo over that. There is a good chance it will never be an issue.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
I would rock it, I seriously wouldnt get a new turbo over that. There is a good chance it will never be an issue.
Thanks, Josh :eek:

Yea, it would prolly be better. I can get things done w/this one and put some $$ aside for a bigger one in the future. :cool:

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
I finished the intake manifold mods.

A quick review:

The original port shape is on the left of the photo. Note how, even though they are not quite complete, the material is very thin at the edges of the ports.

I had a friend fill in the outside edges with a TIG welder. After the extra manterial was added, I completed the porting:

I used a sanding tool at the end of a flexible shaft to smooth the runners all the way to the plenum:

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
intake & exhaust flanges

CNC'd some flanges for the exhaust and intake manifold.

They are both 1/2" mild steel. A bit overkill for the intake, but it was available. They both fit perfectly, with the bores correctly aligned.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
oilpan modification

The stock oil drain would have dumped oil on the front differential, if I could get a socket on the plug. :p

Solution, move the hole to the back. There was a convenient flat area that just clears everything.

I welded a jam nut on the inside to re-enforce the threads.

By the way, a great way of removing the plating before welding is to dump the plated item into some vinegar.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Good move on the drain plug. I have plenty of clearance but I have to use a funky funnel rig to not make a huge mess.
Do you mean the plating on the jam nut?

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
Hi Spulen!

I think you have more space than I do between the differential and the oil pan. I don't have any body lift.

Regarding the plating etching: Yes, it's for the jam nut. I was showing a friend (who has a lot more fab experience) the truck and he mentioned the etching trick. You avoid breathing nasty chemicals when you weld & getting impurities into the weld. This way, you don't have to spend a bunch of time with a grinder or wire wheel to remove the plating.

The jam nut I used was zinc plated, and it apparently works for cadmium and tin as well.

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Nice work on the intake manifold! I know earlier in this thread you said that one came from an early '90s car...what others will work? Anything special I should look for or avoid when I go junkyarding for one?

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
re: intake manifold

Thanks!

I've got to say, for the time I spent honing it, Extrude-hone is a good deal. :p

I purchased it on E-bay, and at the time it seemed like a good deal, esp when compared to a PD150 manifold. :) After doing a bit of pick 'n pull scouting, I found they were VERY common. Our pick 'n pull has no diesels or turbo gassers. I saw these manifolds on almost every A2 & A3 in the yard. I could have paid ~ 1/3 of what I paid!!!

The person selling it had a compatibility list:
1990 INTAKE MANIFOLD & THROTTLE BODY VW GOLF JETTA 88-92
It is used from a 1990 VW JETTA, but will fit many other VWs
SHOULD FIT:
GOLF 88 - 89 8 valve, MT
GOLF 90 - 90 8 valve, MT
GOLF 91 - 91 8 valve, MT, eng code "PF"
GOLF 91 - 91 8 valve, MT, eng code "RV", Calif, thru VIN 020635
GOLF 91 - 91 8 valve, MT, eng code "RV", Fed and Canada
GOLF 92 - 92 8 valve, MT, eng code "PF"
GOLF 92 - 92 8 valve, MT, eng code "RV", Fed and Canada
JETTA 87 - 87 8 valve, MT, GLI, eng code "PF"
JETTA 88 - 88 8 valve, MT, GLI, eng code "PF"
JETTA 88 - 88 8 valve, MT, exc. GLI
JETTA 89 - 89 8 valve, MT
JETTA 90 - 90 8 valve, MT
JETTA 91 - 91 8 valve, MT, eng code "PF"
JETTA 91 - 91 8 valve, MT, eng code "RV", Calif, Mexico built, thru VIN 020635
JETTA 91 - 91 8 valve, MT, eng code "RV", Fed and Canada
JETTA 92 - 92 8 valve, MT, eng code "PF"
JETTA 92 - 92 8 valve, MT, eng code "RV", Fed and Canada
Hope this helps!

quietmission

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI , 04 S500, 95 GTI TDI (Past)
Any new updates to this thread? Just curious to see the progress. PS. I would pay anyone that can make good motor mounts similar to the one in this thread. Let me know as i need them for a similar build very soon (PM me).

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
Thanks for asking!

I've just restarted the project. Right now the clutch has been installed and the motor and tranny are in the truck. I'm currently working on plumbing.

Pictures coming soon. ;)

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Glad to see this is still happening! Did you ever figure out anything with the starters?

Also very recently while replacing my waterpump I found a bolt on solution to the alternator/steering shaft clearance issues with a 1Z/AHU. This will save much messing around.

In Canada, possibly in the US you could get a 1Z with no air conditioning. These engines used a totally different alt. bracket and alt. I have one of these setups and bolted it up for kicks. It clears with plenty of room to spare. You can buy these setups brand new.. marketed as ABF alternator setups for gasser 16V.

Last edited:

Redboar

TDI
85 Xtra Cab pre TDI
Great build so far, can't wait to see it finished.
I am looking into doing this on my 85 Toy in a few months.
Have you checked into the problem of changing the engine
type with the smog people?

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
about starters...

Hi Spulen!

Yes!!! I've finally solved the starter problem! :D

I found a company that makes "Hot-Rod" starters (those with rotatable mounting plates) for Toyotas!! This one is 2kW, so it should have no problem turning over a VW 1.9 L diesel.

http://www.autoelec.com/index.html

The owner is Jack Kirkland, and he's great to work with. :)

I've oriented it so it sticks out 90 degrees from the standard location. That should give plenty of room for the exhaust.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
Redboar,

I've heard from 2 good sources that it's simply a matter of getting the DMV to realize it's a diesel (which may be a problem :p ) Anyway - they just change a thing on the registration to "D" and you're good to go. No smog.

I know, it sounds too good to be true - I'm just trying to get mine done before carb changes things.

On another note,

I've fought doing the job right on two previous fit checks. Yes, I managed to lift the tranny up into place by using a jury rig set up of tow straps and wood blocks. :eek:

I only smashed two fingers, and am probably lucky I didn't smash my noggin. :p

Then I got slightly smarter and welded a cradle for a Harbor Freight 2 1/2 ton floor jack.

Price: $50. Ease of connecting the tranny & engine: Priceless.

pearse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf BEW engine
Regarding the intake manifolds: I am putting an ALH into a Mk 1 scirocco and didn't feel like paying for the really fancy manifolds. The PD150's are hard to find and also expensive.

You can fit any mk 1 or mk 2 8v manifold on the tdi engines. Most of the intakes face the drivers side of the car, but if you are running custom piping to a front mount IC that might not be an issue. Most mk 2's faced the passenger side.

I ended up going with the Audi 5 cyl manifold. It's larger and flows better than any mk 1 or mk 2 intake. You can cut off one runner and seal it up. The good part is that the ports are more closely related to the tdi versions, so less porting is required and you don't end up with really thin walls that need extra material welded on. The downside is that the manifold is pretty big and tall and heavy. It fits under the hood of the scirocco, but just barely: I will have to massage the hood bracing.

The best mk 1 intake to get is from the cabrios, for some reason they are the best flowing of the early style manifolds.

The audi 5000 and Corrado G60 have the largest throttle bodies, if you are using one. The early G60 came with an adapter for the throttle body that converted from approx 2 1/4" round to the Vw style oval intake shape.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
It was $279 + shipping.

For all the problems it solved, it was well worth it.
It's much stronger than the 1.4kW and 1.2kW starters I was trying to make fit.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
Here are some update photos.

Here is the go pedal installed. There is full range of motion of the Potentiometer and everything clears. I've decided to dump the standard Toyota e-brake and use a tunnel mounted one instead. Newer Toyotas have them, but I was able to get one off a Nissan Pathfinder in the junkyard.

Here is the starter installed. Note how it is rotated about 90 degrees away from the standard position. This allows lots of clearance for the exhaust manifold.

The power steering high pressure line. This is a hybrid of the VW pump and the Toyota steering box. I was able to use a banjo fitting from an Eclipse to connect the power steering pump to the pressure line. Fortunately, many of the Toyota and VW fittings were similar. The low pressure side goes through the VW reservoir. If cooling is necessary, the Toyota radiator has some handy taps for an oil cooler.

Cooling system plumbing. I'm trying to make it look as OE as possible.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Spulen81 said:
Glad to see this is still happening! Did you ever figure out anything with the starters?

Also very recently while replacing my waterpump I found a bolt on solution to the alternator/steering shaft clearance issues with a 1Z/AHU. This will save much messing around.

In Canada, possibly in the US you could get a 1Z with no air conditioning. These engines used a totally different alt. bracket and alt. I have one of these setups and bolted it up for kicks. It clears with plenty of room to spare. You can buy these setups brand new.. marketed as ABF alternator setups for gasser 16V.
You gonna mount the A/C compressor on the other side?

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
I've decided against AC.
AC in nice, but not a necessity.
I've only had one car (my 2004 Honda Insight) that had working AC, and I've traveled all over and lived in some of the hotter places in this country.

I Hope I can find a serpentine belt that will work w/o the AC pump.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
You are in luck, there is a really (easy and cheap) solution to the non ac issue. You need a shorter belt and a factory non AC pulley.

Pulley:
028 121 031K
(VR6 water pump pulley)

Shorter Serpentine Belt:
028 803 137BB

Power Steering V-belt:
12x685 no part# on that one.