Quick Question about replacing G68 sensor

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic, 239,000 miles
So my sensor just came in the mail and I have watched some videos on installing it. I still have an unanswered question(s). When I remove the transmission bracket is it necessary to replace the bolts? I ask because in ThomasEXOVCDS's video, he doesn't really say or show if he does. Also, why do the top two bolts need to be aligned in a certain way? Months ago I loosened those bolts and while I was tightening them back up they shifted around. Sorry if I sound like a noob but I don't understand and I don't want to mess anything up.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
You should replace them but many people don't without consequence. I would be inclined to replace them if they look like they have been previously disturbed and you don't know who did it.

I think the important thing is to not attempt to stretch the M10 bolts a second time with the 30 ft/lbs +1/4 torque figure. If you torque them to 44 ft/lbs they should be OK.
I hit the threads with WD40 to take the tackiness out of the process. Never lost one yet.

The M12 large bolts should be aligned so that the mount is perpendicular to the crank. That eliminates a pre-load twist of the rubber in the mount.
I shoot for putting the M12 bolt heads fairly centered in the slots in the trans side mount.
Torque to 74ft/lbs. Again, a shot of WD40 on the threads helps things on the aluminum end after being exposed to a Michigan climate.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I think the important thing is to not attempt to stretch the M10 bolts a second time with the 30 ft/lbs +1/4 torque figure. If you torque them to 44 ft/lbs they should be OK.
Just curious? Have you got your torquing numbers reversed?
44 ft/lbs is about 50% higher than 30 ft/lbs.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Just curious? Have you got your torquing numbers reversed?
44 ft/lbs is about 50% higher than 30 ft/lbs.
Yes it is higher but not higher than 30ft/lbs + 1/4 turn.
I get the sense that the yielding happens in the last 1/8 turn of the extra 1/4.

44ft/lbs has some stretch and is probably right at the limit before the yield.

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic, 239,000 miles
You should replace them but many people don't without consequence. I would be inclined to replace them if they look like they have been previously disturbed and you don't know who did it.

I hit the threads with WD40 to take the tackiness out of the process. Never lost one yet.

The M12 large bolts should be aligned so that the mount is perpendicular to the crank. That eliminates a pre-load twist of the rubber in the mount.
I shoot for putting the M12 bolt heads fairly centered in the slots in the trans side mount.
Torque to 74ft/lbs. Again, a shot of WD40 on the threads helps things on the aluminum end after being exposed to a Michigan climate.
Thanks!