OBD Codes rear window replaced

Firedog

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I had the front wind screen and rear window replaced. When I tried to start it , check engine light and Glow plug light came on. RPM wouldn’t go above 1500 OBD scanner gave the following codes.

P0401 EGR Insufficient flow 01025
P0638 throttle body accuator signal implausible 01592
P0229 boost pressure regulation control range not reached. 00665
Function limitation reached due to over voltage 00447

I don’t think the windows are related but this is what happened. The vehicle was in a warm environment for 3 days then put outside to the -17 C before I picked it up.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
I have a couple of ideas that I would check first.

1. I would fully charge the battery since it was probably run down with the windows being replaced. It was probably started several times to move the car and not run long enough to recharge the battery. I have read of several people getting fault codes and other problem due to a weak battery.

2. I would also check for the intercooler icing problem. Check the passenger side intercooler hose to see if it is blocked with ice restricting the amount of air the engine can get. This might be preventing you from being able to get the RPM over 1500 and cause some boost problems since the air can't get through that the engine needs.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Good thought on the battery.

My first diagnostic step is to clear em and see if they repeat.

Firedog

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have a couple of ideas that I would check first.

1. I would fully charge the battery since it was probably run down with the windows being replaced. It was probably started several times to move the car and not run long enough to recharge the battery. I have read of several people getting fault codes and other problem due to a weak battery.

2. I would also check for the intercooler icing problem. Check the passenger side intercooler hose to see if it is blocked with ice restricting the amount of air the engine can get. This might be preventing you from being able to get the RPM over 1500 and cause some boost problems since the air can't get through that the engine needs.
I did run the vehicle until it reached operating temperature. It did allow for increased RPM but not enough. About 2k.
The inter cooler icing issue is worth a check. -17C / 1.5 F is the night temperature here so that could be causing an issue.

Last edited:

Firedog

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Good thought on the battery.

My first diagnostic step is to clear em and see if they repeat.
Codes have been cleared by my mechanic but it does keep coming back. His diagnosis is the throttle body but he is not an import mechanic so I am going to get a 2nd opinion from a mechanic recommended to me. Throttle body is $500 plus installation and ? programming ?
Thanks for the help from all

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I have had to remove and clean/lube my throttle body twice now. giving me all the same codes you have, but being caused by the P0638. not very hard to do and that would verify that the throttle body valve is causing your problems.

That valve is between the radiator and the engine. first unit on the 4" rubber hose coming up from the intercooler. The inside of my valve butterfly was coked up with carbon and would barely move until I sprayed some lube on it and worked it a few times by hand. That was almost a year ago I last did mine and its still fine.

Firedog

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have had to remove and clean/lube my throttle body twice now. giving me all the same codes you have, but being caused by the P0638. not very hard to do and that would verify that the throttle body valve is causing your problems.

That valve is between the radiator and the engine. first unit on the 4" rubber hose coming up from the intercooler. The inside of my valve butterfly was coked up with carbon and would barely move until I sprayed some lube on it and worked it a few times by hand. That was almost a year ago I last did mine and its still fine.
I will give the throttle body a good once over. Sounds like something I could do before having it towed to the dealership for an expensive repair. Thanks

Firedog

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI

Problem Solved !!
Pulled the throttle body out and found it was seized ..... really bad.
Took the motor and gear assembly off, sprayed it with throttle body cleaner over and over. Made sure I only worked the gear, not the valve for fear of damage. Actually had to hold it in a vice and using pliers with 2 hands worked it loose.
Cleaned it all up and reassembled it to find it worked great. Check engine light was still on but it has since gone off. No hesitation or rough idle at all.
Took me about 4 hours and cost me $10 for the cleaner.
Thanks to jetlagmech and others for the help.