Hydrolock after DPF/EGR Deletes - what gives? (3rd hydrolock for this car)

lindenladouceur

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT Tuned & Deleted
Hello all,

2011 Jetta TDI, 280,000 km. Hydrolocked the car for the 3rd time last night, looking for some further direction.

Deleted and tuned the car two weeks ago, Buzzken full exhaust, removed the EGR canister, EGR cooler and EGR valve still remain on the car - although disabled through the tune. I drained the water from the intercooler pipes when I installed the exhaust (~5ml of water in the cold side pipe, none on the hot side).

Since the install it has been two weeks, and I put on about ~800 kms, the car has done quite a bit of idling the last few days, temps fluctuated from -10 C to +6 C give or take. Anyways, hydrolocked last night. I originally thought the deletes would fix this issue but apparently not.

I don't have the VW "fix" intercooler kit, but I have heard that it didn't solve the issue on stock cars.

Has anyone done a drain valve setup on the cold side intercooler tube? Looking for some inspiration/ideas.

Thanks! Oh and once I rid the cylinders of water the car still runs well.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Interesting. I would say put in a drain valve, maybe an automated one that opens when you turn it off. Do you still have your old DPF? I believe mine is cracked. Sounds like you put some miles on yours though. I am still interested as I was planning on taking mine apart and cleaning it. Not going to do much good if it's cracked. Just going to soot up my EGR filter and coke up the engine... Anyway, shoot me a PM if you still have it.

lindenladouceur

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT Tuned & Deleted
Sorry for the late response.

I put a drain valve on from 2Micron, its seems to be doing the trick, there is always water in the cold side after the car sits for a little while. I get nervous when it's below freezing as nothing comes out of the drain, and then once the engine bay warms up, ice ingestion... Oh well

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Interesting. I would say put in a drain valve, maybe an automated one that opens when you turn it off. Do you still have your old DPF? I believe mine is cracked. Sounds like you put some miles on yours though. I am still interested as I was planning on taking mine apart and cleaning it. Not going to do much good if it's cracked. Just going to soot up my EGR filter and coke up the engine... Anyway, shoot me a PM if you still have it.

I have one laying in the shop send me a pm if interested In Texas