To sell or not to sell.... 98 A3

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Be being someone who likes toys would go for the swap into a GLX body. But I'm also sort of handy with a wrench and have friends who would help, so the labor cost would come down to pizza and beer.

-Jason

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
MK3s will always rust. Fix one hole and another will pop up. These things rust easier then the heater channels on an aircooled.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
meh. don't bother. Get an MK4 or newer. They're much better in the rust department.

The floor was done on my 96 TD in 2002.... it only lasted 6 years before it was done....

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
At this point its more like what is it worth to you?

I personally really love my MK3. I do think if this rot happened to my car, I would be stripping it and putting it in another car (prob a rabbit)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Hello everyone.........just wanted some advice. My 98 A3 with 335,000mi has strut tower cancer as depicted in this post.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=297257

So is it worth the hassle or should I just send her to tdi heaven? THX

That's a fairly easy fix with a plasma cutter and welder. Just find a donor car with a decent tower, cut it off using the plasma cutter (the one I use is the Drag Gun, which is 110V and has its own air supply, so it can be run off a generator), then weld it in place when you cut the other one off.

If that's the only issue, it's not a big one in my book. There are several A-3's up here with mint bodies in the junkyard.

NYDEDC

TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Wow

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to fix her. The replacement vehicle a (Prelude) disgust me. Barely 320 miles before the fuel light comes on! Thx again!