Places to go around TDIFest 2010

ana.wind

TDI
1998 TDI New Beetle
Columbia River Gorge

Don't forget a trip to the Columbia River Gorge where you can take a ride on the Sternwheeler in Cascade Locks, go winetasting in Hood River, White Salmon, and beyond. How about taking a beautiful drive around the "fruit loop" in Hood River Valley to pick up the best apples/pears in the nation? Mt. Hood and Timberline Lodge are spectacular. Skamania Lodge in Stevenson for a round of golf or a great meal is just 45 minutes away as well.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Shopping for the wife: Where is the best outlet mall? We went to the premium one in troutdale but was disappointed. Then we heard there was a outlet mall south of portland. Can someone identify this and add to the map?

thx

Blackberry

TDI
2010 Golf 4 door
It's in Woodburn, exit 271 on I-5. If I have access to the map, I'll try to add it.

If you're going shopping in Portland, though, I recommend two shopping districts: NW 23rd and SE Hawthorne. Lots of great shops.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks, and for others info I also found this:

Woodburn Factory Outlet Mall is your best bet. It is approx 30 minutes south of Portland:

http://www.woodburncompanystores.com/

Then you should check out Bridgeport Mall in Lake Oswego for the big box stores:

http://www.bridgeport-village.com/

And don't forget NW 23rd for unique shopping and great restaurants.

http://www.viamagazine.com/weekenders/po…

If you want something earthier, go to the Hawthorne district for funkier fashion and lots of granola cafes.

http://portlandor.about.com/od/neighborh…

(is the hawthorne district what you are recommending above Blackberry?)

Blackberry

TDI
2010 Golf 4 door
Those are the ones! And like I said, I'd be happy to lead a convoy or carpool (since parking is very tight in Portland) or provide directions.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
If anyone's looking for public transit, there are plenty of options:
The Hotel shuttle runs Cascade Station, the Airport, and Max Station (train). The shuttle is on demand 24 hours a day. Below is the link to the shopping and restaurants at Cascade Station
[FONT=&quot]Cascade Station[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.shopcascadestation.com/index.html[/FONT]

The Trimet/Max (Train)

Enjoy! :)

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
Has anyone talked about the Wineries of the Willamet Valley yet? I am definatly going to find a DD of course and go one a wine tour while I am in the area. If you don't know already some of the best and most famous Pinot Noir in the United States is from this area. Argyle winery and it's sparkling flight of wines is a place I will not want to miss.

Blackberry

TDI
2010 Golf 4 door
Since the BBQ has been cancelled, and since Portland is famous for its cart food, I'd like to offer leading an expedition to the 12th and Hawthorne food carts on Saturday night, maybe to cap off an afternoon of browsing and shopping on Hawthorne Street?

The poutine, crepes, catfish po-boys, and fried fruit pies are absolutely killer. It's only open after about 8pm though.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Since the BBQ has been cancelled, and since Portland is famous for its cart food, I'd like to offer leading an expedition to the 12th and Hawthorne food carts on Saturday night, maybe to cap off an afternoon of browsing and shopping on Hawthorne Street?

The poutine, crepes, catfish po-boys, and fried fruit pies are absolutely killer. It's only open after about 8pm though.
That sounds amazing. *drool* :eek:

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Also for the shopping, you may want to bring a few extra bucks out - Oregon does not have a state sales tax.

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
Has anyone talked about the Wineries of the Willamet Valley yet? I am definatly going to find a DD of course and go one a wine tour while I am in the area. If you don't know already some of the best and most famous Pinot Noir in the United States is from this area. Argyle winery and it's sparkling flight of wines is a place I will not want to miss.
you're coming from selah? you'll be substantially let down with the grade of wineries compared to the yakima valley.

lots of meh wineries and some stellar ones - diamonds in the rough really. the willamette valey wineries are fun but nothing compared to the yakima valley.

Food carts are AMAZING in portland. Brunch box is super great.

best breakfast in town hands down: pine state biscuits - fried chicken, bacon, egg and gravy on a biscuit

TDI
'98 Jetta, and and "02 on the way
Blackberry and tongboy, would like to hook up with you two for this run, Brunch box sounds great. I am without a rig on this outing, and suck at in town driving.

Talk Soon!

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
Fairbanks - hit me up, i'll probably be around on Friday evening for the meet and greet and at the drags and then I don't know what i'll be doing on sat evening and sunday.

i'm the guy in the purple jetta, hard to miss :D

I also might be rolling around at one time or another in a red m3, workin' the kinks out

Blackberry

TDI
2010 Golf 4 door
I'm terribly sorry, I'm not going to be able to make it for Saturday doings. If you do make it to SE Hawthorne St for shopping, definitely end the night with a trip to the food carts on SE Hawthorne and SE 12th though!