Stealth TDI Still Kicking...

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I was once concerned about heat under the seat. But I've NEVER felt the equipment and thought, "WOW, that's hot!" It doesn't all produce max heat all the time since my duty cycle is sort of low. I'm no sound contester ("bass-offs") and the transceiver usually only transmits a short burst every 2 minutes at most. I recently drove 480-miles with the amp, transceiver, and inverter all going. Everything was still cool to the touch at all stops. We'll see how that changes this summer. But I still think "warm" is as hot as it gets.

Regarding the LeCastellets, sure, I'd be glad to sell a set. Feel free to PM me and make an offer.

Scott

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Oops!
That looks seriously good.
Ya crosslace BBSs add a touch of smart ass class to any German car.
Those posts were made while I was drafting my other response. I almost missed them. Thanks for the comments. The wheels, while posted for sale as BBS's, are actually Ronal LS's by ACT. I've read good things about their quality. I managed to get two sets for a really good price. :)

I've done more thinking about lowering the car back to where it was, one inch lower. But I'm concerned about rubbing at autocross events. Here's a photo where I'm really close:

My new wheel/tire combo sticks out beyond the fender just a tad. So my risk of rubbing is increased. Hopefully, someone will get a photo of me in a hard turn tomorrow so I can see just how close I am to rubbing with the new setup.

Scott

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, I just realized I hadn't described everything in my post. I'll fix that as well as the top post. The wheels are ACT/Ronal LS in 15x7.5". The tires pictured are 225/45R15 Hankook Ventus R-S3 "extreme performance summer" tires. I'll be lucky to get 8000 miles out of them. :D But they're what I wanted for autocross: A tire with good grip that I can drive to the events. I'm taking a break from R compounds, changing tires at events, and carrying all the crap I need to do it. :p

I actually have two sets of these wheels. The other set needs refinishing. I'm going to clean up the light curb rash, polish the lips, and then clear powdercoat them. They will likely get a set of 205/50R15 all-seasons, the narrowest tire that will fit on these wide wheels. I will also fix up the 14x6.5 BBS RZ Crosslaces I already have and use them as winter/travel tires. :cool:

OH - I forgot to share that my wife thinks the wheels look ghetto. :confused: I think it might actually be legal in some states to slap her for saying that! :p

Take Care,

Scott

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I ran 225/40-16s on my A3 with no rubbing issues. Offset of the wheels might not have been the same (BBSs), but they worked fine. Looked good, too.

Sometimes I miss that car.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
DOH!!!
I spoke too soon. I have rubbing in the back. :( Now that I have a full tank of fuel and passengers, I'm shaving little bits of rubber from the outside edge of the tire. I'm going to raise the back another 1/2". If that's not enough, I'll consider rolling the fenders a smidge.

Scott

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Those are nice looking wheels,Scott:cool:! If you rolled your fenders,wouldn't that be an invitation for corrosion:confused:? You know how the A3's are with rust....and yours looks rust free.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, my car IS rust-free. I have a small problem that keeps returning in the fuel filler area. Otherwise, I'm clean. I didn't think about the possibility of inviting rust. As far as I know, rolling just bends the lip upwards to remove the sharp edge and give another 1/2" of tire clearance. I think the paint cracks inside the fender, though. I could probably fill it with undercoating.

I hope raising the car 1/2" will be enough. If not, I'm sure the 205s will fit better. Then I'll use the 225s only for autocross when the car is carrying minimal weight. That move may prove more wise in the long run than fender rolling. :)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Very nice, Scott! Amazing how a little bit of bling bling wheels transform the A3s.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks!

I raised the rear coilovers 3/4" to do less of this:

The good news is the difference in posture is subtle:

The tires still rub on BIG dips at highway speed, even with the car unloaded. But I'm eventually going to use these tires for autocross only (when the car is normally lighter) and swap in another set of Ronals with 205/50R15s. :) I'm also going to get stiffer springs at some point. That should help, too. :p

Scott

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I ran those same Hankook's in the 215/45/16 flavor and they were superb, wish they weren't so expensive. I think I got 18K out of them but never autocrossed them. They stuck like glue.

I had a problem running 225/45/16's on the B4, rubbed when taking a corner, so I swapped them out for some 205/50/16's, which don't rub at all. Not sure I care for them though, they seem heavy and sap some of my power away. Still, they stick very well, so they'll work.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I ran 225/40-16s on my A3 with no rubbing issues. Offset of the wheels might not have been the same (BBSs), but they worked fine. Looked good, too.

Sometimes I miss that car.
How much lower was the car from stock in this pic? I like the look of it :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It has Neuspeed Sofsport springs. Probably dropped it about 1.5" front, 1" rear. A3 TDIs tend to sit a bit nose-high so the front drip helps a lot.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Updated top post to reflect installing my new Ground Control setup:

Bilstein HDs and the GC kit...

Eibach Spec Springs (430#F/340#R)...

Installed...

The ride is surprisingly good with the stiffer springs and HDs. I suspect I'll see how they handle next month when I autocross again. I tend to think the car will handle a little flatter. :)

Scott

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Did you leave the rear bar in? I think you're going to be very happy with this setup, bar or no.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
The rear bar is still in. Given the increased rear-to-front spring bias, I'm sure the car will be a bit tail-happy. Without the KONIs, I can no longer adjust the rear dampening to compensate for excessive oversteer. But I think I'll be able to keep things under control with tire pressure adjustments. :)

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Car looks great as always, love the new rims. I would love a set of those in 16 for my car.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
No need for that. The BEAUTY SHOTS ALBUM has them all. But I did take a new photo just this morning.

I had hoped to get a sunset photo tonight. But heavy clouds and rain have nixxed that plan. I hope to run across new photo opportunties this week.

Scott

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
With those bbs and the coils you could fit right in with the crew on Vortex... joking...
Looking awesome as good as ever good luck in the autocross this year.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

How many miles on it now Scott?
362,000 miles!

With those bbs and the coils you could fit right in with the crew on Vortex... joking...
Them's almost fighin' words! :p Actually, they're Ronals (not BBS) and the car is not low enough to fit in at VWVortex. I shared the same photos in the MKIII photo thread and didn't get a single response. They know I don't care about "moar low" and actually took the high path by ignoring my car altogether. :D

Scott

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
I think the car looks perfect, just the right amount of everything including antennas.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
:)

I think the car looks perfect, just the right amount of everything including antennas.
Thanks! "Perfect" is a bit generous. The hood and bumper is riddled with rock chips, some with rust. Sometimes I photoshop them out. But the paint in the photos above is unaltered. :)

There could be more antennas...
I have three antenna ports, one of which is usually unused (HF or CB). Then there's the GPS antenna (middle of the trunk). Here's a better look:

Scott

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Don't be so modest, we all have rock chips. Even me and I just had the car painted a month and a half ago. 1st one made me cry. I have 2 antennas, HF/CB and VHF/UHF.