2015 Jetta TDI with DSG-- opinion needed

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Hello,
After a long hesitation period, I have decided to do buyback on my 2010 Jetta TDI with MT. I has now over 200K, it runs flawlessly and pulls fine, and still enjoyable to drive. Actually, when I test drove 2015 Jetta SEL with DSG, I noticed my car accelerated better but 2015 certainly is way more refined and quieter. Finding 2015 SEL MT with all the options and the color combo that I want is at this point almost impossible, so I am confined to DSG
The dealer's asking price is $16,450. It has about 25,800 miles. The car looks clean, it has new tires, also the paint and interior look decent.
It has driver assistance and lightning pkg. The car is not CPO and is sold by a local non VW dealer.
I know it is not an exact gauge to determine the value of the vehicle, but those of you who bought similar car, do you consider it over priced? According to the dealer their advertised price is non negotiable.
Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited:

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Did you read this post?? alot of info on the car your looking at..http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477523
Thank you Forrest restro's for the link, it seems there is wealth of info on 2015's. But I don't get why the 2015 Jetta with higher engine hp output and better torque graph is more sluggishly accelerates.
I floored gas paddle at 50 mph and was not impressed at all the way it climbed to 70 mph. I will test drive some other 2015 TDI's to see if they're all like this or just the vehicle I am trying to buy.
On 2010 the acceleration is far more better. So it's disappointing..

Last edited:

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
Based on what I've seen listed, that seems about right in terms of price. Mine was a bit of a bargain due to a dealer screw-up during the deal-making process, ($13K + TTL for a '15 S with DSG and 12,500 miles). I've got no regrets with mine. I've put about 5500 miles on it since I bought it at the end of January, and the only issue I've had is a rattle that's addressed in a TSB, which I'll have looked at when it goes in for its 20K mile service in a couple weeks.

I've noticed that when left in Drive, it does feel less powerful than I expect it to under the conditions you describe. In sport mode, it seems to respond better. I've taken to working the shifter quite a bit more than I would in a conventional automatic, to account for hills, traffic conditions, speeds, etc., because left to its own devices in Drive, it wants to head straight for 6th gear and stay there. Working the shifter between drive, sport, and manual mode, I'm happy with mine. But you're right...I had a 2010 Golf TDI manual for a while several years ago, and I remember it feeling stronger in the upper gears than the '15 with the DSG.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
You're also comparing a "fixed" car to an unfixed car. They reflashed the dsg and the ECM. My 09 was much stronger off the line, but the gearing in the 15 is made for the highway. I also drive mine like soldierguy, which has had me thinking of getting a dsg tune from kerma. For $399 it reads as a fix to any annoyances I have with the dsg.
Sounds like a good deal on the car, good luck with it! I average 45 mpg in the winter and 52 the rest of the year. Much better than my 42/38 in my 09.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Has anybody ever seen a dyno test of a CVCA?
Kerma dyno'd one pre and post-fix. I don't remember if they posted the graphs or not.

You're also comparing a "fixed" car to an unfixed car. They reflashed the dsg and the ECM. My 09 was much stronger off the line, but the gearing in the 15 is made for the highway. I also drive mine like soldierguy, which has had me thinking of getting a dsg tune from kerma. For $399 it reads as a fix to any annoyances I have with the dsg.
Sounds like a good deal on the car, good luck with it! I average 45 mpg in the winter and 52 the rest of the year. Much better than my 42/38 in my 09.
I agree that it's the transmission tuning that makes it such a pig. When I get my '15 in it's happy place it pulls as hard or harder than my ALH, but sometimes getting it there can be a real pain (after you watched it row through all 6 gears getting up to 40mph).

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Largely gearing...
The end ratio on the dsg 15 was made a bit taller to get better highway mpg.
Your driving style will adjust. I personally like the Lowe cruising rpm, and know I can always make it drop a gear for more power, either manually, or you will learn how to move accelerator pedal to either hold a gear and speed up, or drop a gear for power. The DSG is not perfect, but has been easy for me to live with....sure I would have preferred a stick like my past cars, but reality of traffic and the spouse, we all must make choices. Part if you just must trust the computer knows what is best at the moment and don't obsess over" I would have done it different" or you will never be satisfied with a DSG.

hikertdi

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS(Sold), 2009 Jetta DSG (Buyback), 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE 6-MT
In my family, we've had both an 09 DSG and now a 15 DSG and agree that in regular driving the 09 (unfixed) had different gearing and better pull. So far at 7K, the 15 looks to easily beat the economy on the 09. The 09 was, and now the 15 DSG is my wife's regular commuter and she'll definitely agree the 09 was a nicer overall car and more powerful feeling. I agree, the engine is very smooth and quieter over the 09.

I got the 15 DSG as a leftover on the lot, but I also found a resale 6 sp MT 2015 (40K miles at delivery) I also had to buy to replace my aging 2000 ALH which are my regular commuters. Having control of the shift points is key and the 15 MT will spin wheels no sweat and is all too easy to break loose on wet pavement. When I drive the 15 DSG in manual mode more aggressively, it can be close to the 15 MT feel, but I think the gearing is still different as others have stated. The "D" of the 15 DSG loves to shift wicked early. The few times I used sport, it seemed a bit to late for everyday use, for me at least. So generally when I do drive the 15 DSG, I just use "D" and poke the throttle more.

One thing I will say, the 15 DSG tranny is way smoother than the 09 DSG. I do like that about 15, no jerky awkward downshifts and the go from a stop seems more predictable with less hesitation.

I drove 60 miles to buy the 15 DSG new of a lot, and I had to expand my search (after nearly giving up) to over 100 miles to find the 15 6sp MT. And I'm sure glad I did, but that was last July. If you really like manuals, and are disappointed with the DSG, I'd say expand your search for a manual, but the SEL will be hard, I was happy at SE trim. But I'd still be happy if I only could get a DSG.

Last edited: