Tdi lifters change

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
Would it be a good idea to put the new lifters and use the old camshaft at 240k km? Tbe engine is 1.2Tdi Pd in a Lupo 3L? There is no ticking, and a mechanic told me it would do my engine good to do that at 250k km?

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
Sorry guys, im quitw an infrequent poster. Ty for your replies!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I've never heard it ever being acceptable to do other than replace lifters and cam as a set. And on PD engines I think you'd be even more prone to issues by not doing as a set. Would your mechanic cover the parts and labor of a catastrophic engine failure resulting from a problem here, or just for lifter work?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've never heard it ever being acceptable to do other than replace lifters and cam as a set. And on PD engines I think you'd be even more prone to issues by not doing as a set. Would your mechanic cover the parts and labor of a catastrophic engine failure resulting from a problem here, or just for lifter work?
See, I did not know that about the cam. Guess I should not post on subjects/projects I haven't done personally.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I don't know why it couldn't/ shouldn't be posted here.

We have a very good example and reason that cam and lifters should be replaced together

Years ago, we were shipping one of our upgrade Stage II ALH cam and cam follower set to a customer. Only problem was, we sent a new AHU cam. The slot for the vacuum pump is not wide enough, So, the mechanic installed the cam followers, which work in either engine, and put the old cam back in. I knew the customer had to drive very close to my house and I offered for him to stop by. I'd put the cam in at no additional cost.

The car came in after about 1500 miles, To my dismay, the cam followers were damaged exactly as they had been on the old lifters. Each new cam follower had exactly the same markings as previous lifters created, from the same bore. We ditched the newly installed lifters, put in a new set with the new cam

Cam and lifters are installed as a set. They wear in together and they wear out together. For a little bit of savings on the cam, it is not worth it.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
See, I did not know that about the cam. Guess I should not post on subjects/projects I haven't done personally.
Bob, I've never replaced a cam either, BUT, I have read about all this (I like to know about things before I have to, though that's not always possible).

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
Well, ty guys for great info. I dont hear any ticking, maybe a bit on a cold start, but thats a 1.2tdi 3 cyl. pd engine. Do you recommend replacing it as a precaution, or not until the sympthoms appear? Regardless of that, what's the procedure for correct breaking in of the new set? Thanks.

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
With the ALH/ AHU and previous cams, DRIVE IT. We don't have cam issues with new cam/ lifters on the pre-2003 engines.