Are BRM BHW and BEW head interchange-able

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
Does anyone know if a bew head will work on a bhw block. I figure the injectors are different but is the bare head the same? What makes the difference between a 2.0L and a 1.9L pd engine. Is it bore difference or stroke? I know the brm engine is different with the water pump and engine speed sensor. Would a brm head fit a bew or bhw block?

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Does anybody know if the "ATD" head is identical to a "BEW" head?

I have a nos complete ATD head, with cam and injectors, and was wondering if it will bolt on to a BEW without any issues.

Is everything identical?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
BEW is the odd ball.

I suppose you could use a BEW head on a BHW or BRM, but may lose a smidge of compression. But you cannot use a BHW or BRM head on a BEW.

BEW head has the bottom of the valves completely flush with the bottom of the head. The other two, the bottom of the valves protrude a little. BHW and BRM have valve reliefs machined into the top of the pistons. The BEW does not...

Using a BHW or BRM head on a BEW can result in the pistons hitting the valves WHILE THE VALVES ARE CLOSED. That's how tight tolerances are on these motors...