Water pump going bad?

cactussam85

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 A3, '01 Golf TDI (retired)
The other day (for the first time) when I was starting up I noticed a momentary squeal coming from the engine bay, but it went away quickly and I thought little of it. Over the next couple of days, the squeal seemed to linger slightly longer and then started to sound more like a grinding sound, which, again, went away after just a short bit.

Now, maybe a week later or so, the grind seems to be the only thing that is there and is lasting longer each startup. It does go away after a bit, but now it seems to be getting more intermittent and I think it may be beginning to happen on more occasions than just when starting up.

I've heard water pumps in other cars squeal before, but I don't think I've ever heard one make a grinding sound like this, which makes me question whether or not it IS the water pump or if its something else.

What indications might one look for to determine if it is indeed the water pump that is failing?

I know that I'm not far off from needing to replace the timing belt so I was already planning on a water pump replacement at the same time, but I also don't want to risk damaging something else in the meantime by continuing to drive on it constantly.

Any ideas on where I should start?

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Remove the serpentine belt and start the engine.

If you hear the squeal, shut it off immediately and replace the timing belt system before running it any more.

If you don't hear the squeal, check all pulleys and bearings in the serpentine belt path until you find the source of the noise.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
The water pump SHOULD be replaced EVERYTIME the timing best is replaced - because to replace the waterpump - you are essentially doing timing belt replacement as well.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
The starters sometimes don't disengage in these cars, especially after it's been in there awhile. Too much clutch dust. They make a sound kind of like a pig squealing. Okay, like a mechanical pig as it were.
BUT when you do the TB, replace everything in there, that includes the water pump and the rollers, etc. Get a kit. The trouble you go through to get at the belt, it only makes sense. You'll see.

cactussam85

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll likely have one of the local gurus do the TB change (etc) for me as I just don't feel confident enough to NOT destroy my engine, lol.

A new development: I noticed on the way home tonight (wrote the OP while at work) that while I depressed the accelerator, my headlights would dim. I've never seen that happen before (I'm used to them getting brighter when I give it some gas). Would this point more towards the starter staying engaged? What would the fix for a starter that doesn't disengage? Replacement?

How bad would it be if I just kept driving it with the started not fully disengaged?

Last edited:

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Dimming headlights sound like a battery/alternator problem.
Check alt pulley, bearing and tensioner

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Well, without hearing the squealing you're talking about it's hard to tell. The starter makes a very specific squealing/grinding noise. A squealing belt makes a different noise, a bad roller might not make any noise...
Not sure about VW's but a simple charging system that dims headlights when more rpms are applied would indicate a bad stator. But even so I would expect that headlights shouldn't either dim or brighten when giving it gas. That seems suspect. Alternator pulley?
You should get it checked out. Do a search, I think if you take the tension off the serpentine belt you can spin the alternator pulley by hand and if it does/doesn't spin both ways you have a problem.

cactussam85

Veteran Member
TDI
Turns out it was the alternator. Basically froze up (glad I didn't out hardly any miles on it when that happened!).

Water pump had just started leaking too, so getting that replaced really helped out a lot.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk