TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
No personal experience with the 335d platform, but I know they have stellar reputation for Tdi's. I tried a JR tune through AARodriguez, but it fills up the DPF and throws limp modes. I can't use the extra 'tune' power without throwing a limp mode (implausible rail pressures seen as injectors stay open too long and EGT skyrockets too) or filling up the DPF. My car does 3-4 regens/week which is really excessive for my 175 mile/week commuting.

Edit: commenting on temporaptor's last post: yeah, they are in a HP/torque war....about where Tdiclub was back in 2001 or 2002! Super primitive, lol. We gots a LOOOOOOONGGG ways to go.
I have JR tunes from Andrew, stage 2 with all emissions intact on my x5 and stage 2.5 race with alphabet delete on my 335d and have been absolutely problem free on both cars.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
My '17 BMW 328d xDrive M Sport Touring is on order and is scheduled to be built on week 23 of this year. I'm super excited!

I have searched high and low for a device or interface that works like PF03. I was the first known adopter of this device for the NMS TDI, this is the thread I created to inform fellow TDIers: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=414187. My main purpose of getting this device was to monitor EGT to see regens (as to not interrupt them) and practice proper cool/shutdown. If you read the above thread, you will see that not only can i see EGTs but I can monitor things like DPF soot build up, to determine future regens. I have yet to find such an OEM+ device for the diesel bimmer.

I know there are plenty of phone/tablet apps, but I want something more permanent, as you will understand if you read my above thread. There are a lot of touchscreen type standalone OBD2 monitors, but its super hard to find a single BMW enthusiast that's using these types of products to pacifically monitor EGT.

I'm hoping my fellow TDIers and BMW diesel enthusiast can chime in.
TIA!

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
I think ultra-gauge might be the closest solution (some E90s are using it). But UGs website barely mentions BMW, let alone the N47T 328d F3X.

Last edited:

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
Does anyone else find themselves accelerating into curves when they don't mean to be driving that way? This 335d is going to get me in trouble. I can't make it lose traction in dry conditions and find myself pushing when I shouldn't.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Does anyone else find themselves accelerating into curves when they don't mean to be driving that way? This 335d is going to get me in trouble. I can't make it lose traction in dry conditions and find myself pushing when I shouldn't.
I've broken loose the rear end of my 328d a few times now, but the xDrive kicks in and pulls it through without any trouble at all; it is actually overly confidence-boosting... I almost miss my old hair-raising understeer when I pushed too hard in the Golf :D

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Turn on smokey burnout mode by defeating traction control and you can drift around any corner you want ;). Just hold down the DTC button for a 5 seconds. The only drawback is cruise doesn't work in smokey burnout mode.

Mine will break traction and scoot sideways with traction control enabled at 55mph :eek:

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
I have JR tunes from Andrew, stage 2 with all emissions intact on my x5 and stage 2.5 race with alphabet delete on my 335d and have been absolutely problem free on both cars.
Stg2.8 here on my 335d + a stg3 tranny tune as well. I don't miss the TDI one bit lol
Nice. I'm thinking of the Stage 2.0 tune with alphabet delete on my 335d.

How do you guys find the smell with the delete though? I'm considering getting a catted downpipe as quite a few posts say that it helps reduce it.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Out of curiosity, what kind of boost and exhaust manifold pressures are you all seeing :) You can test it with VCDS.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Filled my 335d yesterday, first full tank post RC tune. 523 miles, 14.6 gallons, 35.9 MPG. It was a pretty gentle tank, mostly highway. But still...

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Took my New to me 328D on mini road trip to Carlisle Pa yesterday dash said 51.4 not as much as Jetta on same trip but a heavier car and allwheel drive.....1st full tank was 33.5 a lot of in town! Liking it so far

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Got my 335D retuned by vwmikel--hugely improved! Dang I didn't know the D could be this fast and smooth. Mike tuned all parameters within the known model ranges. The car is a shoot-n-scoot torque king now. :D So happy. No more soft limp modes. No more hard limp modes when using the acceleration. Accelerates harder than ever.

Folks, we have a true, top-form tuning option for the BMW platforms :) :) :)

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Turning off limp modes and top tier don't go together. BMW put them there for a reason, the EMP during changeover needs to be controlled and boost needs to be closely monitored for this kind of stuff. Easy for boost to get away from requested up top. We're talking 28+ PSI on a sequential turbo setup with a full aluminum motor here, making power is the easy part.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Turning off limp modes and top tier don't go together. BMW put them there for a reason, the EMP during changeover needs to be controlled and boost needs to be closely monitored for this kind of stuff. Easy for boost to get away from requested up top. We're talking 28+ PSI on a sequential turbo setup with a full aluminum motor here, making power is the easy part.

The previous tuner's tune caused the limp modes: they had turned off EGT protections, mis-scaled axis, and had made other errors which break internal protections and various ECU models. I never had the limp mode until I'd ran the previous tuner's tune. The failure mode was: driving in traffic uphill at 80, then accelerating caused the limp modes.

Now that it's properly tuned, and all of BMW's protections are turned ON, it doesn't have any issues.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Good stuff, glad to hear Mike isn't doing any of that kind of nonsense! Sorry for even accusing him, know he does great work in the VW community and was worried we had another engine breaking file floating around. It's a shame what people are getting away with on this platform at the moment since a few other tuners were slow to market, I have to bite my tongue there but there will be problems this summer once the temps go up... Takes time to get things right, how're your EMP and boost values? imagine your fueling is a good amount lighter than the other file, which is important for DPF longevity and doesn't result in much power loss. I'll share some videos at some point with smoke output along with detailed logs.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Good stuff, glad to hear Mike isn't doing any of that kind of nonsense! Sorry for even accusing him, know he does great work in the VW community and was worried we had another engine breaking file floating around. It's a shame what people are getting away with on this platform at the moment since a few other tuners were slow to market, I have to bite my tongue there but there will be problems this summer once the temps go up... Takes time to get things right, how're your EMP and boost values? imagine your fueling is a good amount lighter than the other file, which is important for DPF longevity and doesn't result in much power loss. I'll share some videos at some point with smoke output along with detailed logs.
I'll start doing more logging with Torque app of EMP/EGT. I look forward to your tune release, and I'm pretty certain yours will be totally solid and legit. Had one bad experience with the prior tuner's tune, and I think it *would* have broken something expensive this summer. It gets INSANELY hot in Phoenix. As in "half a dozen people died from heat this year" hot. Imagine how much LESS margin for error my engine has over someone in say, IL or MI or FL even. I have been babying the car until Mike and I could meet up (he's in Phoenix area now). I was waiting for him, you, or Jeff's tune and just going to baby it until then. Even with babying it, I got soft limp modes. Not all tuners are created equal.

Again, very much looking forward to your tune release--I'm so excited about the 335D and tuning potential. It feels like 2002 all over again :D

PS: my soot loading now goes DOWN with spirited driving, as it should. With the prior tuner's tune it rose very rapidly and caused excessive DPF regens. There was ridiculous injection duration with stock IQ's. Now it runs like a fine tuned driver's car.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
We've been tuning these regularly for awhile now, just have a lot on the go and Mark is only one man. Have a car with water meth that we're developing on at the moment. We'll be pushing the car over the next few weeks, ohlins will be going on and it'll see some track time this summer. We're just trying to keep the motor in one piece and prefer to go the OEM+ route rather than dyno queen numbers since most people will rarely track the vehicle and want it to be reliable. There is always a price to pay for horsepower and for most people this is their primary form of transportation.

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
yeah, they are in a HP/torque war....about where Tdiclub was back in 2001 or 2002! Super primitive, lol. We gots a LOOOOOOONGGG ways to go.
I think tdiclub could use some sparks, been quiet here lately...

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
I think tdiclub could use some sparks, been quiet here lately...
i know, right?! Good stuff. Let's fire up the competitive juices guys. Excellent.

You're preaching the sweet, sweet 'area under the HP curve' gospel to my willing ears, @malonetuning :D Screw peak numbers, show us 1/4 miles, 60-100 times, etcetera.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
More than happy to data log and dyno any 335Ds in the Vancouver area so you can see what you've been sold. Hopefully the extra horsepower was worth it. The more data the better far as we're concerned, no reason to keep this all behind closed doors. Don't even bother with the 2 week apart dynojet nonsense though, only fair to be accurate. Let the games begin.
I'm a far cry from Vancouver but will PM for more details. I am running one of those other company tunes.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI

I don't post here all that often these days it seems. First off, I don't really want to get into throwing stones here and turning it into a pissing match. Nobody would really gain from it. That said, I really think these systems require a less is more sort of approach. It's better to work with than against the existing model or you'll end up with unintended side-effects. You really don't need to get crazy with it to make good power and I don't think de-calibration is the answer in most cases.