Before and After Polishing Headlights (Easy Fix)

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi, 1981 Chevrolet LUV Diesel! Non-turbo :(
Yes, I know my car is filthy. It is covered in salt. I washed it after I did this.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

All I used was some Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and a type of plastic polish. I used a buffer to apply the polishing compound for five minutes then rinsed and dried. Then I used the plastic polish with the buffer for another three minutes and did not rinse, but dried with cotton towel. That is it! I have done this to many cars I have had now and it works every time!:D

I noticed about a 30% increase in headlight brightness and nighttime visibility!

And yes, I know my clear coat is pealing off everywhere! What can I do for this?:confused:

Last edited:

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
Milage King said:
What kind of plastic polishing did you use?
Something called PlastX. I bought it at Advanced Auto Parts about a year ago.

cyberemp

TDI
2003 jetta TDI
about clear coat flaking:
Get some 2000 grit sandpaper from an auto body supplier.
Wet sand the clear coat off using great care not to over work through the paint. Polish paint w/ rubbing compound if you wish, then apply more clear coat.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Or just re-spray the entire car. I think it would be very difficult to sand through the clear without removing color.

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
cyberemp said:
about clear coat flaking:
Get some 2000 grit sandpaper from an auto body supplier.
Wet sand the clear coat off using great care not to over work through the paint. Polish paint w/ rubbing compound if you wish, then apply more clear coat.
You mean to sand where the coat is already off and around the edges where it is chipping off. Then, buff with polishing compound and respray clear coat and buff again?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I am not a body or paint person and I sure hope you aren't either. With all that work, it has to be a MUCH better end product with minimally more work to just spray color AND clear. Seems like a no brainer...

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
Farfromovin said:
I am not a body or paint person and I sure hope you aren't either. With all that work, it has to be a MUCH better end product with minimally more work to just spray color AND clear. Seems like a no brainer...
It is a no brainer for anyone that can afford to have their car resprayed whenever they want. Anyway, I was talking about a temporary fix...:rolleyes:

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Just feather the chipped clear coat, then respray with new CC. No need to work the entire CC off. Don't use rubbing compound between coats, that can inhibit CC adhesion.

For lights, no need for fancy stuff. Chrome polish works well, this is a suspension of cerium oxide, a type of polishing compound with a good "tooth". Chrome oxide is tough and needs more bite than a paint-type rubbing compound. Because the cerium oxide is a bit harder than rubbing compound, it easily cuts the nasties on polycarb headlights.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Question, what causes the headlight lenses to cloud up? My Golf is almost 9 years old (but only 120K mi), and lenses are clear. Is it the grit from the highway? (i guess i drive on clean roads? :eek: )

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
I need to try the chrome polish. What do you suggest to use to "seal" the headlights once you polish them? I think if you don't put some type of clear coat on, they will yellow and/or haze again pretty fast?

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
JayT said:
I need to try the chrome polish. What do you suggest to use to "seal" the headlights once you polish them? I think if you don't put some type of clear coat on, they will yellow and/or haze again pretty fast?
I was wondering that as well. I have had to do this twice in the past year.

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
Keith_J said:
Just feather the chipped clear coat, then respray with new CC. No need to work the entire CC off. Don't use rubbing compound between coats, that can inhibit CC adhesion.

For lights, no need for fancy stuff. Chrome polish works well, this is a suspension of cerium oxide, a type of polishing compound with a good "tooth". Chrome oxide is tough and needs more bite than a paint-type rubbing compound. Because the cerium oxide is a bit harder than rubbing compound, it easily cuts the nasties on polycarb headlights.
Thanks a lot!

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
DEZLBOY said:
Question, what causes the headlight lenses to cloud up? My Golf is almost 9 years old (but only 120K mi), and lenses are clear. Is it the grit from the highway? (i guess i drive on clean roads? :eek: )
I think it is mostly just grit and debris from the road...the same stuff that makes your car dirty after driving it for a while. Also, I have heard that cheap aftermarket headlights will yellow and fade quickly because the plastic is low quality.

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
F250_JR said:
I think it is mostly just grit and debris from the road...the same stuff that makes your car dirty after driving it for a while. Also, I have heard that cheap aftermarket headlights will yellow and fade quickly because the plastic is low quality.
Glass headlights would be nice.