Low oil pressure warning light CEL solved 2006 Jetta BRM 1.9

aheng

TDI
2006 1.9 Jetta Wolfsburg Sedan
A few weeks ago my Jetta warned LOW OIL PRESSURE, STOP ENGINE NOW and chimed at me.

I took the car to Auburn WA VW and we agreed to change the oil to a VW approved 505.01 motor oil.

That solved the problem, as the CEL has not sounded in over 3 weeks. And the car seems to handle better.

The manual for my 2006-2007 Wolfsburn Jetta specifies only 505.01 motor oil. I speculate that when I changed my oil about 3 months ago, that I used the discount motor oil I had become accustomed to using in my 2.2L Subaru engines. After several weeks, I speculate that the oil "thixotropy" broke down enough that it tripped the low pressure sensor in the engine. I have noted in the past that as oil breaks down, its viscosity and its "thixotropy" becomes reduced.

The engine was low by 1 quart of oil as well. But even after I topped it off, and rebooted the car computers by leaving the battery unplugged for a few hours, the code reappeared in the vehicle. Again I am speculating that the extra quart of oil did not reconstitute the "body" of the oil sufficiently to prevent the low pressure signal from being generated.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
Sir/Ma'am, I strongly suggest that if you're going to dabble in the ownership experience of the Volkswagen brand and diesel product specifically that you read and re-read your ownership manuals.

Using the "discount motor oil" that was earmarked for your Subaru can/will lead to severely expensive camshaft and valve train wear on the unit injector engine.

Also, a simple internet study of newtonian and non-newtonian fluids with emphasis on thixotropic/rheopectic definitions will help you understand a bit more about the dynamics of a multi-grade motor oil.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
^^^+1 on the camshaft damage. The PD cam barely survives with the correct oil.

Should also worry for the turbo..

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The engine was low by 1 quart of oil as well. But even after I topped it off, and rebooted the car computers by leaving the battery unplugged for a few hours, the code reappeared in the vehicle.
What "code" was that? AFAIK oil pressure on a BRM is not monitored by the ECU so a code can not be set for low oil pressure.

The term "thixotropy" does not apply in this case, the proper term is "Viscosity".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

Quite simply you put oil of the wrong spec and viscosity in your engine causing a low pressure indication and turning on your low oil pressure light.

In your owners manual for a 2006 BRM the correct oil is VW 505.01 5W40. The 505.01 oil the dealer sells is actually the wrong oil for your car is 5W30.