Looking for Vds-pro

bagdwag

Banned
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
Hey guys,

I am looking for someone with the software and the cable to lend me so I can activate my euro alarm. I will pay for the shipping both ways and of course money for your product... I am also to meet someone I am in Maryland let me know what you guys got.. Thanks

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Actually, the software is free. It can be downloaded on an infinite number of computers. The cable and it's internals are actually your license. If you were closer (and I didn't need mine at random times) I'd be happy to loan mine out. Go to ross-tech.com & d/l the latest so you're ready to go when you do source a cable. I'm planning on doing the same mod to my 20th. I just haven't had the time to take on the wiring changes as of yet.

Last edited:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
There are lots of eBay interface cables that will do the job if that's all you want it for. I bought one years ago for $20 US shipped. I realized afterwards though that if I wanted to use it for more than just a quick scan that I would be better off buying an authentic Ross-tech cable as it gives me support if I ever need it.

There's also a sticky thread that lists VCDS owners and you can probably find one nearby that'll do it for you for a case of beer or something.

aydn

TDI
99.5 MKIV ALH
And forget scanning past an 03 VAG with that knockoff junk. Why not unlock the full potential of VCDS and support the devs to allow them to innovate new tools like wireless interfaces to smartphones.
(potential = dove)

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
VDS-Pro and VCDS are *not* the same product. VDS-Pro (formerly called VWTool) ceased development in 1999 due to the demise of its developer. Read the last question in this VCDS FAQ: http://www.qclt.com/wego/vag-com/help/Manual2081/faq_1.html

VCDS will do most (but not all) of what VDS-Pro can do, but they are not the same product.

Have Fun!

Don
:facepalm: Oops. Sorry; I went back and reread that he was looking for the VDS-Pro & not the VCDS. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :(

bagdwag

Banned
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
I got the software just in need of a dongle.. I have VCDS a real one hahah. I just need to do some PRO work

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
Do a search on ebay for this exact search term:

Serial interface KKL VAG-com VW/AUDI OBD-2 Cable vagcom

It works. A straight serial to OBDII cable will NOT work. You MUST also have a computer with a REAL serial port (USB/Serial cables will NOT work), and you MUST run VDS-Pro in real DOS, not , repeat NOT, a DOS window in Windows. Boot to DOS from a USB stick or CD, and include VDS-Pro on the DOS boot drive. The only module I've been able to communicate with is 46, Central Convenience, on my 2005 Passat, which is all I needed. Oh, and forget using a serial PCMCIA or Express card with DOS, as VERY few have DOS drivers (no Expresscards that I'm aware of), and the ones that do, are expensive.

If you have an old laptop with a serial port, you can use that. Or a Dell D400 or 600M is pretty cheap on ebay. The Dell D400 is pretty small (12" screen) and reasonably fast, and has the required serial port, and works with VDS-Pro. It can also boot from a USB stick with DOS on it.

Jon

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
It works. A straight serial to OBDII cable will NOT work. You MUST also have a computer with a REAL serial port (USB/Serial cables will NOT work), and you MUST run VDS-Pro in real DOS, not , repeat NOT, a DOS window in Windows. Boot to DOS from a USB stick or CD, and include VDS-Pro on the DOS boot drive. The only module I've been able to communicate with is 46, Central Convenience, on my 2005 Passat, which is all I needed. Oh, and forget using a serial PCMCIA or Express card with DOS, as VERY few have DOS drivers (no Expresscards that I'm aware of), and the ones that do, are expensive.

If you have an old laptop with a serial port, you can use that. Or a Dell D400 or 600M is pretty cheap on ebay. The Dell D400 is pretty small (12" screen) and reasonably fast, and has the required serial port, and works with VDS-Pro. It can also boot from a USB stick with DOS on it.

Jon
^^^^ what he said ^^^^^

I bought a dell d600 just for my vcds and vds-pro, that is all I use it for. It was alot cheaper than some of the diagnostic tools for sale and that is including the price of the vcds license.

bagdwag

Banned
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
I have the software now, I went to get a dongle and they told me That I would be waiting til after christmas... it all comes from japan,china.. So I am still looking to rent someones dongel before I have to wait 2 months for a dongle .. thanks guys

Still in need of a DONGLE... MY VCDS RosS-tech cable will not work

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Also take note that not all computers will start up in dos, don't know why but found out the hard way lol. I was lucky though because I remembered I had an ancient thing running win 98 and you can just restart in dos and run vds pro from the c drive. Win :D

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have the software now, I went to get a dongle and they told me That I would be waiting til after christmas... it all comes from japan,china.. So I am still looking to rent someones dongel before I have to wait 2 months for a dongle .. thanks guys

Still in need of a DONGLE... MY VCDS RosS-tech cable will not work
Where did you source the program? I'd like to get a copy of that as well as VAG-Tacho & keep it on some dino-laptop.

bagdwag

Banned
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
GOOGLE.. it took a while to find the correct one.. I would be careful of vag tacho there is alot of virus programs out there

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
VDS-pro is pretty hard to come by, and vag-tacho relies on thier hardware (cable) to operate and it is not cheap.