MAF backorder

boingolover

TDI
'09 jsw tdi, laser blue, manual 6 speed - sold back to vw 12/7/2016
I have a 2009 JSW tdi, 21.5K miles, build date sometime in late 08, and my car has been at the dealership waiting on a MAF that is on backorder now for two weeks as of today. Spoke with the manager and he said he had spoken with VW this morning and that they estimate another 14 days that the part will be backorderded. I questioned him about this, about why such a seemingly common part would be so hard to come by, and he said that it was very specific based on ranges of the VIN numbers as to which MAF it needed. Has anyone heard of this? For their part, the dealership has given me a loaner jetta, so I am not without transportation, they've been nice throughout the whole thing, but I will have been without my car for almost a month it sounds like.

Nathan

subsonic44

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI 6-spd. Loyal
CHeck on your state Lemon Law. Most state that if the car is down for a total of 30 BUISNESS days, then it is a lemon. Go for a replacement car. Let them take as long as they want.

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
They're doing what they can

subsonic44 said:
CHeck on your state Lemon Law. Most state that if the car is down for a total of 30 BUISNESS days, then it is a lemon. Go for a replacement car. Let them take as long as they want.
Oh. Come. On.

Not unheard of (for any manufacturer) to have occasional backorders on parts, and these can at times be long. Since they've provided a loaner car while they've got the patient on the table, other than a (very very slight) inconvenience I don't see the problem here. Neither would any court in the country I suspect.

My girlfriend's Toyota is in the body shop, on hold there due to a national back order on something. Please consider that before entering into an anti-VW tirade, should anyone be considering it.

boingolover

TDI
subsonic44 said:
the lemon law in TN only applies to vehicles up to one year old, mine is one year two months old. I'm not upset with the dealer, they've handled this appropriately in my opinion.

the main reason I even posted this is that it seems... counterintuitive that there would be multiple MAF's for a given model year car. It wouldn't be a stretch for me to believe that the service manager was simply mistaken. But, if this is indeed true, this might hint to a difference in earlier cars vs. later cars re fuel delivery systems. after all, if all else the same, even if they updated the MAF sensor, stands to reason that they could use the new style MAF in place of the old. I'm certainly speculating out of my depth here, but I was wondering if anyone else could chime in with any actual information versus my speculation.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
boingolover said:
the lemon law in TN only applies to vehicles up to one year old, mine is one year two months old. I'm not upset with the dealer, they've handled this appropriately in my opinion.

the main reason I even posted this is that it seems... counterintuitive that there would be multiple MAF's for a given model year car. It wouldn't be a stretch for me to believe that the service manager was simply mistaken. But, if this is indeed true, this might hint to a difference in earlier cars vs. later cars re fuel delivery systems. after all, if all else the same, even if they updated the MAF sensor, stands to reason that they could use the new style MAF in place of the old. I'm certainly speculating out of my depth here, but I was wondering if anyone else could chime in with any actual information versus my speculation.
The new one might be what they're waiting for. VW claims MAFs were responsible for the no-start epidemic before X-Mas, and replaced quite a few. Why do you need a new MAF?

subsonic44

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI 6-spd. Loyal
There are known differences in some parts for the 2009. Off the top of my head:
Fuel filter
Top of fuel filter
Sunroof switch

Perhaps relating to different build dates.

boingolover

TDI
Rather Be Biking said:
The new one might be what they're waiting for. VW claims MAFs were responsible for the no-start epidemic before X-Mas, and replaced quite a few. Why do you need a new MAF?
I took it in for that very issue (i.e., cold start scare thread). I followed that thread pretty closely, and posted a "me too" fwiw. I only remember seeing one person posting that they had their MAF replaced, however.

TDIzumSpass

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M
boingolover said:
I have a 2009 JSW tdi, 21.5K miles, build date sometime in late 08, and my car has been at the dealership waiting on a MAF that is on backorder now for two weeks as of today.Nathan
What is wrong with the MAF? Have they identified a bad run of defective parts, or could this be a faulty design? Every CBEA (engine) owner needs to know if their MAF (or, insert faulty part name of your choice) is going to take a ****, so that (hopefully) it can be replaced while the damn thing is still under warranty. I'm really getting worried about this car, and now considering the option of getting out before I really lose a ton of $$$ fixing it. :mad: That would be a big diappointment, as I have looked forward to buying this car for 3 years (of course, I was counting on the much higher MPG promises that never came true).

The wise man knows when to cut his losses with an investment, as it is better to lose a little than to lose it all.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Too bad you didn't get the build date before the dealer quaranteened your car. Seems like VW just can't find a good source for MAF sensors.

boingolover

TDI
El Dobro said:
Too bad you didn't get the build date before the dealer quaranteened your car. Seems like VW just can't find a good source for MAF sensors.
as an update, I got my MAF sensor finally, on feb 23rd.

regarding build date, the month portion of the build date isn't on the sticker on the driver side pillar. it has: " / 08" on it, and I know I purchased it around the first of november 08. I could probably have the dealer check the VIN, but I am not even sure that's relevant. I don't know that there has been an outbreak of bad MAF sensors in the 09's, seems that there have only been a few mentions of replaced MAF's that I can find on here. but I could be wrong.