OilHammer 2017 Jetta Gasser Opinion

TDICube

Veteran Member
Oil Hammer,

Thank you for all the advice with our 2006 TDI Jetta. It is now approaching 200,000 miles.:)
We purched a 2017 1.4L gasser manual. The car gets between 39-41mpg.
Do you have any opinions on the new 1.4L 2017 gas Jetta?
TDICube

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've posted on this topic in other threads.

But in a nutshell, while it is certainly no TDI, I do like the 1.4L so far. It still has a proper belt driving its overhead cams, since VAG cannot make a durable chain drive. It is reasonably easy to service. Sucks that it has an old fashioned spin on oil filter down below, but at least it is easy to access.

Not much long term data on them for our market though. They first came here mated to the 7sp DSG in the short lived Jetta Hybrid, which is, by far, the most fun small FWD hybrid to drive (it actually moves!).

For 2019 the 1.4L will also be available in the Golf, which is I feel a better package than the NCS Jetta anyway. While I won't be buying one, at least there will perhaps be ONE new Volkswagen I might consider if I were in the market for a new car.

But for now, my ALH Golf shows no signs of giving up. And I have two spares if something should happen to it. You know, tornado, flood, meteor, tooef...

TDICube

Veteran Member
ThankYou for more wisdom Oil. It was funny that we got another VW. We have a daughter that is learning to drive and we wanted a car with a manual. VW was one of the only options.
TC

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Sucks that it has an old fashioned spin on oil filter down below, but at least it is easy to access.
Perhaps a subject for another thread, but...

How does that suck?

I've wondered about why VW uses a canister and element type filter where, when you pull out the element, oil from both clean and dirty side of the filter with the possibility of metallic debris drains into the clean side. Am I missing something about how this works?:confused:

oilhammer

TDI
Top mounted cartridge style filters are less mess, less wasteful, and generally easier to access.

If you open up a metal can, the filter inside is the same, you are just throwing away the perfectly good housing every time.

We need less crap and scrap in landfills and recycle centers, not more. I was actually shocked that the early EA888 engines went back to a spin on can type (upside down on top, which means they have to have an extra valve on them, so even more expense and more waste). Fortunately they came to their senses and went back to the cartridge style.

So right now, the 1.4L is the ONLY engine in the VAG lineup that is still using this old way. Toyota has switched on most all of their engines. Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Volvo, Jaguar, some Fords, most GM 4cyl do too. Still some holdouts like Nissan and Honda though.

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
So why not design it like the fuel filter which leaves the contaminants in the canister?

oilhammer

TDI
The "contaminants" are in the filter media, and the old oil which gets drained out as soon as you remove the filter, which is why you are supposed to loosen, but not remove, the upside down filters FIRST, and let the old oil drain down into the engine where it gets drained with the rest of it. It works well, not sure exactly what you are asking about here. :confused: I mean, really any version works fine, just that the upside down cartridges make the least mess and the least waste.

The bottom side cartridge filters are the same for waste, but they require a drain in the bottom of them in order to minimize mess.... but in some cases (like the BWT engine in an Audi A4, for instance) you still make a mess. The 2015 TDI engines also seem to require some care to not make any mess. But an ALH or a BEW or a BRM or any of the new 1.8L (CXBA, etc.), you do not make any mess whatsoever. Same for the newer VAG V6s.

Also, regarding the bottom drains, often someone mucks these up if they are an Allen plug (like many of the older VR6 engines and a lot of Ford/Mazdas). Plus, while the engine's drain plug may be right out in the open, the filter underneath may not be, and require some extra steps to gain access.

The oldest versions of this type of filter I can think of is MB...their diesels and V8s had these before I was born. They work great. And those engines' longevity is legendary.

In the case of the 1.4L VAG engine (the topic of this thread), the engine lubrication system design and intake plumbing really would not easily allow for a top side cartridge filter, but they *could* make a small housing that attaches down low to the front of the block (like the VR6 engines) with a bottom side cartridge that would be right out in the open too. But as it is, at least the spin on can is down low, with really nothing under it, and it screws directly into the front of the engine. Just no way to drain it prior to taking it loose, aside from punching a hole in the side of the can, which really doesn't drain it all anyway (I've tried).

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
Never mind...don't want to hijack the thread. I think I might want to continue in a new thread.

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I'm thinking a 1.4 GSW, with either transmission might be a real serviceable option with a lot of utility and low cost of operation. Could be on my future list if the BHW comes to the end of its service. A real beauty of diesel used to be its simplicity. That is long gone.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Oil hammer, sorry for drifting a bit OT the gassers. What do you think of the newer 3.0 TDi? I am thinking of picking up a 2014 A6 or A7 because I might be driving a lot. I know it's a chain design which I am not a fan of seeing how I have a CCTA now which I just did chains on. I don't wanna put 60k in a year on the CCTA.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

oilhammer

TDI
The later 3.0L TDI at least has two chains instead of four like the earlier ones! :p

Not much long term info on these. They were kinda rare, and maybe a lot of them have been taken off the road? They sure run good, I'll give them that. Especially in a tuned Q5..... good gravy that thing will scoot! :eek:

CCTA chains, eh? Ya like that goofball design, huh? Still scratching my head over that one. I despise that engine, despite it providing lots of income over the years, I still feel bad for anyone that has one.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Thanks for the update Oil ;) I am looking for a 2014+ engine. Not much info out there on them. Q5 doesn't do it for me because it's too small, my JSW trunk is bigger. Touaregs can be had pretty cheap now and I plan on doing some towing. Most of them can get 35mpg if babied so I am leaning towards that. But I can't help but be drawn to a 535d as well, probably the last good straight 6 from Bmw regardless of fuel choice.

My CCTA has been pretty good actually. Got a aftermarket rear main seal in there while the engine was out chains and stuff was done. Not my personal favorite of an engine as well, but I wanted that in my JSW.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk