www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old June 23rd, 2014, 23:04   #31
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIN View Post
Which one of these will do the de-pressurize command on the fuel system?
I'm not certain what you mean by "do the de-pressurize command on the fuel system", but I do know what you need. Since you have a Mk6 you need an interface compatible with CAN bus communications. The software (and commands you can do) is the same no matter which cable you have. You could get by with the MicroCAN if you only want to be able to talk to your own car or other Mk5s and Mk6s. If you want to be able to talk to older VWs as well, you will want a HEX-USB+CAN interface cable ($100 more).

Have Fun!

Don
Old June 24th, 2014, 04:50   #32
SKIN

TDI(s): Golf MK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
I'm not certain what you mean by "do the de-pressurize command on the fuel system"
When you do your own service and you want to replace the fuel filter for instance. There is a way you need to tell the computer to de-pressurize the high pressure fuel system. Will these VAGCOM adapters do that, or do you need a higher level computer service system to send that command to the ecu?
SKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:46   #33
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIN View Post
When you do your own service and you want to replace the fuel filter for instance. There is a way you need to tell the computer to de-pressurize the high pressure fuel system. Will these VAGCOM adapters do that, or do you need a higher level computer service system to send that command to the ecu?
Yes, any version of VCDS will easily run your fuel pumps to prime the fuel system. I was just a little confused by your terminology. This does not actually de-pressurize the high pressure system (you really do not want to do this unless you need to replace an injector or something like that). What it does is to run both electric fuel pumps to fill the filter canister and to purge air out of the low pressure side of the fuel pump. It is the low pressure side of the fuel pump that is cooled and lubricated by the fuel and it is the low pressure part of the HPFP that fails.

Simple answer is yes it will work. All versions of VCDS will do all of the things that the others do. The way the software performs is almost identical no matter which Ross-Tech interface cable you use.

Have Fun!

Don
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:57   #34
austi012
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 mpg mixed

All I want to know is whether the thing can do the ECU tuning parameters in this document, so I can upsize my injectors:

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/pdf/injector_install_howto.pdf

Olga says no. What's the fact of the matter?
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:19   #35
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Multiple postings are frowned upon here. Your answer is in the document you linked to and in your other thread. If you are still unsure find someone with the tool and try it. I know for certain the egr thing will work as I have done it to several cars. I believe you are having a communication problem with RT.
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:58   #36
austi012
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 mpg mixed

Multiple posting, yes... with a functional reason. Not gratuitously spamming the board. Once in a thread that may be ignored by the vendor, one in a thread where the vendor regularly appears.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:58   #37
InSaNeBoY
Veteran Member

Question on the lite version. I'm 100% mac person so I've never really looked into Vag-com software much at all(other then asking a few times if they're going to make a Mac version).

In any case while clearing my uncle's garage I came upon my grandfather's old IBM Thinkpad. I got it running and installed the shareware version, seems to work so I got a cheap dongle and it read data. Didn't do much beyond that put the laptop away and forgot about it, this was probably about a year ago.

Now I'm having occasional limp mode issues and thinking this might help get a clearer idea as to whats going on? I'm wondering will the shareware version tell me what I need to know? If not and I do need to buy a license, from what I understand it's linked to one computer. What if I need to a clean reinstall the OS or if the computer dies do I have to buy it all over again?
Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:22   #38
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

The only answer is maybe.
If you can connect and get a good read on all stored codes, that should get you started.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 13:42   #39
InSaNeBoY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
The only answer is maybe.
If you can connect and get a good read on all stored codes, that should get you started.
That I'll have to check, last time I tried it I didn't have limp mode/stored codes I have a little handheld OBDII reader to scan for codes, which is a little less cumbersome then a laptop, external battery and OBDII cable

I know it shows the modules, I can see some real time data(don't remember what I looked at, I was just playing around and it was a year ago), never tried any logging...
Old April 3rd, 2015, 20:51   #40
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

VCDS-Lite in the shareware mode will not decode all the fault codes. It will list the codes, but not give the descriptions.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions

If a person purchases VCDS-Lite and the computer crashes, and said person formats the hard drive and reinstall the same OS, then the same activation file that was sent at time of purchase can be reused since it will be the same computer.

Now if you change out hardware in the computer, then it is possible that the activation will no longer work. Ross Tech does allow one, and only one, transfer of the VCDS-Lite license if needed.

Also, customers who purchased VCDS-Lite, if their needs change and they need a Ross Tech interface, we will give them full credit for the VCDS-Lite purchase towards a Ross Tech interface.

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 13:27   #41
InSaNeBoY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef@rosstech View Post
VCDS-Lite in the shareware mode will not decode all the fault codes. It will list the codes, but not give the descriptions.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions

If a person purchases VCDS-Lite and the computer crashes, and said person formats the hard drive and reinstall the same OS, then the same activation file that was sent at time of purchase can be reused since it will be the same computer.

Now if you change out hardware in the computer, then it is possible that the activation will no longer work. Ross Tech does allow one, and only one, transfer of the VCDS-Lite license if needed.

Also, customers who purchased VCDS-Lite, if their needs change and they need a Ross Tech interface, we will give them full credit for the VCDS-Lite purchase towards a Ross Tech interface.
Good to know and awesome you credit the price of the lite version toward the full version! At this point the laptop I have doesn't meet the requirements for the full version, which is the main reason I'm only looking at the lite version for now.
Old July 5th, 2015, 17:32   #42
sardawg

TDI(s): 10' Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 42 AVG

Does the VCDS software from Ross-Tech allow coding changes to the various control modules or would I need to look for dealer level software to do this?
sardawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2015, 17:41   #43
tadawson
Veteran Member

VCDS will do coding - it's a full function tool. About the only thing it won't do is pull immo codes on recent cars, and that was by choice by Ross Tech so VCDS didn't become a tool used for car theft.

- Tim

Last edited by tadawson; July 5th, 2015 at 17:44.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 13:28   #44
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
VCDS will do coding - it's a full function tool. About the only thing it won't do is pull immo codes on recent cars, and that was by choice by Ross Tech so VCDS didn't become a tool used for car theft.

- Tim
I'm not sure that is true. Chip tuners re-code things like fuel maps that VCDS will not. Even the simple EGR delete is not the same, VCDS will turn it back, but the tune can eliminate it.
VCDS is a complete replacement for the equipment the dealers use to service cars.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 16:23   #45
tadawson
Veteran Member

I tend to refer to tuning more as programming, since it's a change to the ECM flash. Configuring modules/options/features etc. is typically referred to as coding. IE coding a new door module to the car on replacement . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote