www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old July 11th, 2013, 11:18   #1
WolfgangVW
Veteran Member

Hi all. So i'm thinking of getting vcds scanner. Anyone recommend which product(s) to buy? I notice they have several products. I am just looking to do routine maintenance and repairs for my own car..
Thanks in advance!
Oh also can you run generic OBD2 scans with the vcds?? For example could i scan my 2000 chevy if the cel came on?

Last edited by compu_85; July 11th, 2013 at 12:01.
WolfgangVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:31   #2
Santos_V
Ross-Tech AssociateVendor

What is VCDS?

Ross-Tech offers VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System) to turn your Windows Desktop or Laptop PC into a powerful diagnostic tool for VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda from 1990 through the latest models. VCDS is able to perform the same diagnostic functions as the factory scan tools. Unlike Generic OBD-II scanners, VCDS allows you to access all of the diagnostics-capable modules in those vehicles including Airbags (SRS), ABS Brakes, Instrument Cluster, etc.

Interface recommendations will vary based on vehicle. If you are only looking to work with your 2003 Jetta, the KII-USB will suffice:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

The KII-USB will also work on non CAN based VW/Audi (roughly 1990 to 2005 depending on vehicle type)

If you would like to have support for your vehicle and other VW/Audi up to current model year, The HEX-USB+CAN is recommended:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

Last edited by Santos_V; July 11th, 2013 at 14:23.
Santos_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:57   #3
WolfgangVW
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos_V View Post
Interface recommendations will vary based on vehicle. If you are only looking to work with your 2003 Jetta, the KII-USB will suffice:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

The KII-USB will also work on non CAN based VW/Audi (roughly 1990 to 2005 depending on vehicle type)

If you would like to have support for your vehicle and other VW/Audi up to current model year, The HEX-USB+CAN is recommended:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

Excellent thanks! That's just what i needed to know!!
WolfgangVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:02   #4
compu_85
Gadget Guy

I'll make this a sticky

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 13:49   #5
Santos_V
Ross-Tech AssociateVendor

Thanks, I'll continue answering any other VCDS related "sales" questions in this thread as needed. Just Ask!
Old August 4th, 2013, 14:13   #6
rcracer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos_V View Post
Thanks, I'll continue answering any other VCDS related "sales" questions in this thread as needed. Just Ask!
Howdy!

When one sells their HEX-USB+CAN Interface, how does the license "transfer" to the new owner? I may sell mine.

Thanks!
Old August 4th, 2013, 14:26   #7
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer View Post
When one sells their HEX-USB+CAN Interface, how does the license "transfer" to the new owner? I may sell mine.
That's kind of a yes and no thing. Yes, the license transfers in the sense that the buyer will be able to use and update their copy of VCDS. What does not transfer is the registration. Since the buyer is not the "registered" owner of the interface cable, they cannot get the same level of direct tech support from Ross-Tech. If tech support is not needed, this is not a big deal. The official "registration" can be transferred to the buyer (new owner) for $99.

The license for the program (the dongle) transfers with the cable, but the direct tech support afforded to the registered owner does not transfer with the cable.

Have Fun!

Don
Old August 4th, 2013, 14:40   #8
rcracer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
That's kind of a yes and no thing. Yes, the license transfers in the sense that the buyer will be able to use and update their copy of VCDS. What does not transfer is the registration. Since the buyer is not the "registered" owner of the interface cable, they cannot get the same level of direct tech support from Ross-Tech. If tech support is not needed, this is not a big deal. The official "registration" can be transferred to the buyer (new owner) for $99.

The license for the program (the dongle) transfers with the cable, but the direct tech support afforded to the registered owner does not transfer with the cable.

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks Don!

So, basically, one can get a mint condition [HEX-USB+CAN Interface] dongle WITH tech support for the amount of the dongle [$___] and $99.

What have most been selling their dongles for?

Thanks!

Old August 4th, 2013, 15:18   #9
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer View Post

What have most been selling their dongles for?
A search in the for sale forum will probably give you the latest, but this seems to depend a bit on who you sell it to. Prices are often higher here than on the vortex. I have never sold one, so I can't tell you what they sell for, but the asking price (here) for a $249 (microCAN or HEX-USB) is often around $175 and the $350 ones (HEX+CAN) usually ask between $250 and $275. I do not know how much haggling occurs in these sales.

Have Fun!

Don
Old August 4th, 2013, 15:48   #10
rcracer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
A search in the for sale forum will probably give you the latest...the $350 ones (HEX+CAN) usually ask between $250 and $275. I do not know how much haggling occurs in these sales.

Have Fun!

Don
Thank you!

rc
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:16   #11
Rico567
Veteran Member

Now that I've got a netbook set up for it, it appears that Ross-Tech may be bringing out a platform-independent version of VCDS this Fall that will run on phones, tablets, etc. No word on if it's going to be as capable as the regular version that plugs into the car via a cable- guess I'll wait and see.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:18   #12
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
Now that I've got a netbook set up for it, it appears that Ross-Tech may be bringing out a platform-independent version of VCDS this Fall that will run on phones, tablets, etc. No word on if it's going to be as capable as the regular version that plugs into the car via a cable- guess I'll wait and see.
VCDS "Mobile" is a Wi-Fi device with an HTML output. Any device with Wi-Fi and a web browser will work as a control device. It should have the exact same capabilities as the "standard" wired version. The two big unanswered questions are:
1) When will it be available to buy?
2) What will it cost? and Will there be an "upgrade" deal for current VCDS owners?

(oops, I guess that's 3 really questions)

Have Fun!

Don
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:00   #13
Rico567
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info.....as I have no immediate need for VCDS (the car is still very new), I suppose I'll wait and see what develops. We are pretty much universally an Apple-device household, and having a Wi-Fi device that will work with anything seems a whole lot better to me than a dongle / cable that's going to be tied to a Dell netbook, because if it fails for some reason, there goes your system.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:53   #14
bherman13
Veteran Member

I bought a KII-USB cable for my 97 Passat TDI. My girlfriend might be picking up a 2006 Jetta TDI soon and I would like to know if my VCDS cable will work for her car. The Ross-Tech compatibility chart was confusing to me.

Thank you.
bherman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:32   #15
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherman13 View Post
I bought a KII-USB cable for my 97 Passat TDI. My girlfriend might be picking up a 2006 Jetta TDI soon and I would like to know if my VCDS cable will work for her car. The Ross-Tech compatibility chart was confusing to me.

Thank you.
2005.5 and newer Jettas are CAN bus cars. Therefore, your KII-USB cable will not work completely. It will probably be able to talk to the engine controller, but not the rest of the car. If you are the registered owner of your KII-USB, Ross-Tech does have an trade-iin/upgrade deal available. To be able to talk with both VWs you will need a HEX+CAN interface cable.

Have Fun!

Don