Help spread the Biodiesel word to Vermont

DFDJ

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagon SEL, 01 Jetta Baltic Green Sold at 277,500 mi,
The Vermont Sustainable Living Festival/Vermont Blues Brews & Jazz festival will be held in Tunbridge, VT on Saturday June 8. They will be exhibiting some altenative fuel vehicles --solar and propane-- and would be happy to have some Bio Diesel powered vehicles on display. (Free admission to vehicle and driver).

It is a well organized, small and low key festival in a wonderful, scenic location about 30 minutes from the junction of I-89 and I-91. It has a family orientation and features some very good music, kid and adult activities and great local brews
Check out the details at www.magicalvermont.com

I know many have put a lot of energy into the B20 pump, the Mass Biodiesel petition, and have spent a lot of road time hauling jerry cans of B100 back from Solar Market. This event would provide an opportunity to create some biodiesel awareness, relax and have a great time.

If anyone is interested in attending, please post here and I will be happy to coordinate with the festival organizers on this end.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
I'm game...

I exhibited at Tour de Sol last weekend, and various other alternative fuel car events over the last few months...

I'd be glad to be part of this event as well.

Let me know what you need from me to get the ball rolling...

Phil

DFDJ

TDI
Phil, it would be great to have you come up, especially since you have been intensively involved in the Mass efforts. Do you have any printed info which could be available as handouts? Can you bring a few gallons of B-100 so people can see/feel/smell the stuff? I'm not sure what else might be good to have...your suggesions are welcome!

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
I have a pile of flyers that the Boston Area Biodiesel Initiative printed up a few months ago, plus I have a stack of flyers from World Energy. At the Tour de Sol, we bundled these two together...

I also have some little vials of B100 that were also World Energy promos... I don't actually have any to give away, but they make super neat visual/olfactory aids.

The other thing I have is a sheet that gives a quick run down of the benefits of BioD that's mounted on a stiff car that I put on the car window so that people walking buy can read for themselves...

Finally, a digital camera is a must... (which I have so no worries there...)

DFDJ

TDI
Phil:

You're a 1-man BD promotional expert! The vials of B-100 make a lot more sense for show & tell than gallon jugs of the stuff. I could print up one or more large format versions of your BD benefits card if you mail/e-mail me the info (I've got a couple of large format printers at work). The handouts sound good too...how many do you have available? I'm also going to try to get some stats from DMV to see what the potential market for BD is in this area--maybe we could post these too.

Here's a couple of thoughts for BD "demos", but I have no idea if they would work or not: Hold a white cloth/paper under the tip of the exhaust of a car running standard dino-diesel and collect the soot for a period of time, then do the same with an identical car running B-100. Would there be a visual difference? Can we allow people to safely smell the exhaust of a B-100 car? I recall somebody doing that at the fall GTG.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
mmm... sounds like fun! i wonder if nate can make it? it'll give me an excuse to fill up with some bio, too. i've missed the last few bio events so that'd be nice to be there and see it all.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Originally posted by DFDJ:
Phil:

You're a 1-man BD promotional expert!

... Can we allow people to safely smell the exhaust of a B-100 car? I recall somebody doing that at the fall GTG.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You certainly can, and that is how I get the best reaction outta folks. Our noses tells us alot. I have sent an E-Mail to Phil with some demo/promo stuff I use.

Good luck boys, knock em out with common sense. Once people get it they can`t understand why we`re still into the Rude Crude.

DFDJ

TDI
tdipoet

It would be great to have another TDI/BD supporter on board.

Just to be perfectly clear, there will not be any BD at the event except for the few sample vials that MITBeta has promised to bring. For that matter, as far as I am aware, there is no BD available for retail sale anywhere in VT ( I have yet to introduce my ride to BD, but plan on stopping at the B20 pump in Chelsea a few days before the festival on my way home from a trade show in RI.)

My goal in attending this event, and inviting BD supporters from around New England to make the trip, is to create awareness of BD in a state where there is above average awareness and support of green issues. I suspect that there is a modest market for BD in the state when you add the diesel pick-up trucks, and box trucks belonging to small businesses to the growing number of diesel powered passenger cars in the area (there was actually another TDI at the pump last week when I went to fill up). Eventually, I hope to interest one of the regional petroleum distributors in adding BD to its product line...but first there has to be a reasonable demand for the product. Secondarily, the previous versions of the festival have been a lot of fun with some really great local musicians and good local brews. Check out the festival's link in my first post for details.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
nah, i'd go to arundel before i went to vermont. vermont'd be a good excuse to hit arundel though.

my car misses the bio. hard to justify the increased cost at this moment though.

natescape

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment. *sniff*
I'd love to go. One of the hazards of having a young family (a 2 and a 3 year old) is it's tough for me to get away for long periods of time, and it's probably too far for the kids to travel (I live on the south coast of Mass, next to RI).

I'll see what I can do. How far up is it? I can't find a map or directions on the site.

DFDJ

TDI
RC:

Thanks for answering the question on sniffing BD exhaust and for your encouragement...can you copy me with the promo stuff you sen to Phil? <DFracht@sover.net>

Nate:

I allow 1:45 to 2 hours from downtown Boston to the Junction of 89 and 91 in White River Junction. The venue is about 30 minutes beyond. Add whatever you need to get through/around Boston I would think 128 or 495 would be your best bet. If you still need better directions, do a MapQuest for Tunbridge, VT.

Your kids might be old enough to appreciate some of the kid stuff which is planned... but it's been a while since I've hung out and travelled with 2 and 3 year olds.... Hope you can make it with family or solo.

tdipoet:

Sorry you've changed your mind...hope to meet you at a NE GTG sometime

[ May 27, 2002, 15:07: Message edited by: DFDJ ]

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
i gotta work on my communication skills. i'm frequently misunderstood.

i'm still planning on going - what i meant to explain is that before i go, i'll need to make a stop at solar market to fill up with bio. THEN i'll go to this event. that way i'll be bean burning again and not running on dirty dino sludge. that's all.

so i should be there, most likely. any excuse to promote and play with biodiesel. i talk about it all the time anyway, so being someplace where people are interested would just be all the better.

[ May 28, 2002, 06:57: Message edited by: tdipoet ]

SwanTDI

Veteran Member
Blues, brews, biodiesel, Vermont and sustainable living? How could you go wrong with this festival! I'll be there. I could be running B100 by then if you would like more 'exhibits'. (I've got about B85 with a half tank left, but I have 3 B100 jugs left that I could use) Give me a holla if you want another exhibit, but I'll be there anyway.

BTW, I've made a nice biodiesel sticker. I am just testing it on my car to see how it stands up to weather, etc.

Thanks to BeetleGo for the caption!

I also have an older one which I have not put on the same backing, so it is just on regular paper with a lamination over it:

Sorry about the picture, it didn't come out very good. A little fuzzy in the corners.

Erik

[ May 30, 2002, 09:23: Message edited by: Diesel Monkey ]

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
what a baby!

sounds like there are enough of us going from this area to meet up and caravan. by then i should have my oil and such done too... car will run nice and smooth.

i'll bring some glaze and rags so when we get there we can touch up the cars. i know it sounds a little rediculous, but the better the cars look, the better associations people will make. having different cars there too will help, it'll show that this isn't some rare thing, but something anyone can do with a diesel.

DFDJ

TDI
tdipoet

you're forgiven for your communication skills, after all you did just graduate from an engineering school
MA to ME to VT is the long way around...there's no quick way to get across northern new england. Hope you're planning on making it a 2 day trip, or will we see you at night when the music starts??? Would you be willing to transport a few 5-gallon jugs of B-100 to vermont for my personal use?? I would reimburse you for the BD and some new containers when you get here, or would be happy to send a check in advance if you know the price of BD and containers

DM:

The more the merrier...when I first spoke with the festival organizer, I asked him if he would like to have "a small fleet" of BD vehicles and he was very excited at the prospect. I agree that the more cars on exhibit the better

Nate:

Hope you can make it for this event

Is anyone interested in camping in the area on Saturday night?? I could check campgrounds and availability

SwanTDI

Veteran Member
Camping, now that would be a great idea Saturday night! I'll have to check though... make sure there are no conflicts for Sunday.

As far as state campgrounds are concerned, check carefully as June 8-9 are Vermont days in which all day areas are free to the public.

Erik

DFDJ

TDI
Guys, I checked the campground maps and it looks like Tunbridge is in the middle of a campground black hole. There are a couple of state park campgrounds that look to be about 20 to 30 minutes away: Alis http://www.campvermont.com/html/cgs/state_central/allis.htm and Thetford Hill http://www.state.vt.us/anr/fpr/parks/htm/thetford.html

The Vermont Day at state parks which Diesel Monkey mentions is for day use fees only so there would be the normal charge for a site. I'll find out availabilities if I can get an idea of how many people/sites would be needed.

SwanTDI

Veteran Member
DFDJ,
I was looking at Allis myself. It would be nice to get a definate headcount from people that want to camp. If that isn't possible, I'd like to camp anyway. The earlier we get reservations in, the better the site we can pick. Is anyone else definately sure that they want to camp? Maybe we could reserve sites for the definates now and add later if possible?

-Erik

SwanTDI

Veteran Member
Poet,
They have lean-to's at the campgrounds that cover you from 3 sides, so you really only need a sleeping bag and some netting to keep bugs out.
Also, I have 12 gallons left (2 five gallon containers and 1 two gallon) if you really want to run it that weekend and don't get up to Arundel beforehand.

-Erik

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
if you're willing to sell them... definitely interested!

and if they are lean-tos count me in. i wonder if i can get jen to go... think she works saturday though.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I will likely be able to supply DFDJ with some BioD if he can find YELLOW 5 gallon diesel jugs, or wants to make a swap.

Camping sounds slightly interesting too, but I'm not adverse to getting up early and getting home late...

Also, do you have any idea how dog friendly either the festival or the campgrounds are?

SwanTDI

Veteran Member
MITBeta,
Unfortunately, I believe the website for the festival said no dogs, but make sure for yourself. Not really sure about the campground... the hours that they accept phonecalls are a bit odd so I did not get to call them today.

[ May 29, 2002, 20:16: Message edited by: Diesel Monkey ]

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
i'll most likely be there, but i won't be able to run BD. i don't think i'll be able to get up to SM by the 8th. maaaybe i'll go this weekend, but i really doubt it. more important would be to be there though, so whatever i use to get up there is what i use. hopefully a bit later this summer i will switch to full b100 usage. being an early adopter is hard!

i don't think i'll be camping as i am not equipped with a tent.

DFDJ

TDI
MITBeta

I can probably find some yellow diesel jugs at the local walmart or auto palace. We can swap full for empty or transfer. How much BD can you spare?

SwanTDI

Veteran Member
OK, Allis campground has about 5 lean-to's open for the 8th. However, they only accept reservations for 2+ nights. It is $20 per night, 4 people per lean-to. From what I read on the rules page, they accept leashed dogs.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
When we went to Syracuse to see Joe make BD, he mentioned that he was going to take a break from doing BD demonstrations until TDIFest. Of course, he might change his mind if you ask him really nicely!

What are the hours of operation for this event? It's not too far from me and we will be without kids that weekend; perhaps I can persuade the Mrs. to go on a road trip. If so, I'll need to pick up some BD as well. Might mean a trip to SM if I don't work this Saturday.

edit - D'oh! Just read the link in the first post and see that the gates open at 10 AM.
Hehe.... Dr. Splatt!

-Lee

[ May 30, 2002, 20:02: Message edited by: Oo-v-oO ]