Steering Wheel "Wobble"

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
After refuelling my 2012 Passat a couple of weeks ago and on pulling back onto the highway, I noticed the steering wheel had a wobble/vibration feeling at about 40kms per hour. It seems similar to that of a tire balancing issue. On accelerating, the problem seemed to go away. This problem consistently repeats itself with the problem now being evident between 40 and 50kms per hour. I had the dealer check the car and was told that they could find nothing wrong. I figured that if it wasn't the car it must be the tires and, because I'm no fan at all of the stock 17" Hankooks, I replaced the tires with Michelin Primacy's. Needless to say, new tires - same problem. Any ideas?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
rotate tires front to back to see it that makes a difference. If you can have someone drive behind you and pass you on both sides to look to see if there is a tire vibrating. or maybe a loose vibrating piece of trim. the airflow plate under car has been left loose by the dealer many times causing vibration.

with tires changed might be looking for a bent rim. the next most probable cause would be warped brake disc. good luck.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Slightly bent rim is probable. Move the back to the front and see what happens.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Also check to be sure something isn't stuck to the tire or inside of the wheel.

I know in the winter up here if I get just a little snow or ice stuck to a wheel it throws it out if balance and can give the same affect.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Caution with this -- I've had it happen before and it was a fractured belt INSIDE the tire.

Get someone you trust to drive and hike your butt on the windowsill at low speed in a parking lot. Check BOTH sides, front. If you can see lateral movement in the tread of the tire as it rolls you got problems!

This is NOT to be left alone as the tire can come apart at highway speeds.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
People, he REPLACED the tires. It isn't a tire issue.

Most likely a wheel or alignment. I love my dealer, but they are TERRIBLE at alignments and balancing. Take it to a real tire store. The one I trust always does a better job than the dealer, and always has to add or remove a little weight or tweak the alignment a bit. I know what I am looking at, so I get before and afters, and take a look at them.

If that doesn't resolve it. Something else like the Rotors(Mentioned), hub, or axles can cause wheel vibrations, but they don't typically go away with speed, they just get faster, but it is possible.

Good Luck!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
^^^...plus...wouldn't the new tire installer find a bent rim?
Depends on if it is a slight bend, and not a dent. You would hope a good balance would pick it up though. Again, if the dealer did it, maybe not.

Leaning towards the actual alignment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
After having the tires installed, I spoke to the technician and learned that the Michelin Primacy MXV4's balanced as one would expect. No mention was made about anything irregular. The tires were not purchased at the dealer.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
After having the tires installed, I spoke to the technician and learned that the Michelin Primacy MXV4's balanced as one would expect. No mention was made about anything irregular. The tires were not purchased at the dealer.
Still no mention of alignment...

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I've got an appointment on Monday morning at the dealer. Will definitely get them to check the alignment. Will post the results.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I've got an appointment on Monday morning at the dealer. Will definitely get them to check the alignment. Will post the results.
Not doubting your dealer, but I would take it to a tire shop. Same one that installed the tires. Explain to them, the same thing you explained to us.

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
The car has been at the dealer's since Monday. They've been replacing parts by process of elimination as per VW's technical support department. Told there is a possibility I could get it back today. Will advise.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
How many miles on your car?
Three days and they haven't found it? Replacing parts? hmmm....
Well, at least you'll be getting fresh parts...wonder which ones they'll replace?
I wouldn't be very happy at this point, 3+ days w/o my car because of a "steering wheel wobble."
Hang in there. Keep us posted.

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I've got about 30,000 miles or approximately 50,000 kilometers on the car. Actually got the car back today. Turns out the faulty part was the front left axle. No more wobble/vibration...

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
The detailed bill/warranty claim hadn't been completed when I picked up the car. As I was given a loaner it didn't really bother me that they had the car as long as they did. Wanted the car fixed properly the first time. Was assured they checked any and all parts that could have resulted in the problem.