Central Florida TDIFest Proposal Interest

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
I'm posting this to gauge interest in creating a Central Florida TDIFest Proposal.

Here is Fred's blurb on it -> TDIFest 2006 Proposals

In the past I have wanted to do this but the area was kind of dry for active TDIClub members but now I think we can pull it off. A big hurdle is that the location isn't exactly *ideal* for many because of how far it is from being central. If we can come up with a killer Fest proposal we might be able to make it worth their while to make the extra long trip.

To start off with I'm located a few miles from Speedworld (Drag Strip, Oval Track, Figure 8 Shool Bus/Trailr, Destruction Dery) which we might be able to use for an event. The University of Central Florida is about 10-15 miles away and is becoming a big business district too with a few hotels with small-medium convention amenities.

I've been to a couple of Fests already so I have a good idea of what goes on. I don't mind leading the effort if I get some good support for this area. If another location in Central Florida is better I'll help there too.

Let me know what you guys think

Pitboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2 Door
As much as I'd love to see one here in FL, the potential for weather problems would be great during this time of year. I race r/c boats down here in Florida, and the weather always causes problems during late Aug. and Sep. We avoid scheduling any races between the second week of Aug. and the first week of October.
Just my humble opinion.

ICNTDRV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI
Well, Daytona is a really attractive town. Why not have the event at the Daytona Speedway? It wouldn't be cheap, but I bet that it would in itself be enough of an attraction to make people come.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone else with ideas or support?

I know weather could be an issue but unless we have a hurricane the rain doesn't last long so it might be something we can work around.

I think the Daytona Speedway would be an interesting venue... We'd probably be much smaller than many of their events. My father in law works a wrecker there during NASCAR races, I'll see if he knows who to talk to about this and see how much it would really cost. There are also plenty of hotels over there to use.

04Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
09 MKV Sportwagen
I don't see weather as a factor. I've been living here over 20 years and the weather is fine, year round. A little hot in the summers, but typically cools off by about 10 degrees before Labour day.

I hope you can pull it off. Daytona would be a big draw.

ICNTDRV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI
I'd like to throw the idea of a regular GTG there first, perhaps in November or early December. Just to show the rest of the TDI nation that Floridian's know how to throw a party (even if none of us are really from here) Any interest in a smaller GTG at Daytona? A thread with lots and LOTS of pictures of a successful GTG would make the idea really enticing.

And Paramedick, The Magic Kingdom castle is now fully ADA compliant. There are no steps anymore.

revgov

Veteran Member
TDI
2012, 4-dr., Golf
Count me in for Daytona. Not sure if the speedway is the venue to consider or not, it's pretty big. There is a large "flea market" just down the road, and they hold events on the grounds. I have never been to a TDI GTG, so don't know about the size of the crowds they generate.

revgov

Veteran Member
TDI
2012, 4-dr., Golf
It looks like there is some interest in doing a TDI GTG in central fl. Does anybody know how to go about doing it!, I don't, but would be willing to help as much as possible (poor, lazy and old, but honest). Anybody know how to start?

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
Daytona is do-able for me, I'd like to try and hook up with the SE TDI'ers...

Has anybody given any thought to somewhere like St. Augustine? I would think it wouldn't be as pricey as Daytona and still has some gorgeous beaches. Daytona would then be a quick hop down A1A which is a very cool drive all by itself!

Anyway, as long as we stay out of Orlando, I would like to try and hook up with y'all!

Dave

mendy

A TDI Get-Together is planned for Sunday, Nov 5, 2006 in Ocala. See other thread in this forum. From this initial meeting we can determine other sites to host such a group if interest is sufficient. For specifics see other posting and/or write Chris (Mendy at TDIClub) at mendy@mfi.net.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow this is old... I have a new thread going for the fest... Check my sig :)

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
Tour de Florida or TDIour de America

Leading up to you could have a Tour de Florida sorta like the Tour de France. Start it in Pensacola, FL (where there is a BioDiesel pump) and run it to say Orlando for the actual TDIfest. You will get more people in Orlando than the others as you can tell your spouse it is a Disney vacation or something.

Maybe even call it the TDIour de America and have several startoff points all over in several big cities where there are BioDiesel pumps and plot from Pump to Pump the whole trip. So thats like what 4 pumps from Seattle to Orlando 3135 miles.

You could get VW, Honda (with their anounced Diesel) and others to promote the whole thing and put it on the news and such.