MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
The Golf wagon with 6 speed usually gets (calculated) mid 40's around town and high 40's low 50's on road trips.

Recently got a stage 0.5 tune and some exhaust work.
Best tank so far on the highway at 65-70 mph is 59.3 mpg. I didn't quite believe it, started the car and and double checked the tank was full to the brim, it was.
Around town mileage is now low 50's.
Looking forward to some more fill-ups to confirm the above numbers

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
another trip yesterday, here is the info from the MDF. may be a little off as you guys say, but nonetheless pretty impressive.

187 miles traveled
average 48 MPH
done in 3:54
average MPG, per MFD is 80.3

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Looking at these numbers (length of ownership, miles, daily commute, fill ups, etc.) I wish the Fuelly app had the ability to display overall speed. Yes, it would not be easy and would require a lot more logging. Likely too much work, but seeing some of the numbers and Fuellys in signatures, it looks like there is a fair amount of TDIClub members stuck in traffic - when compared to their overall commute distance and FE reports.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
with my most recent post, i was certainly not stuck in traffic :)

slow speeds (45-60 on US1 to key west) and warm temps were friendly!

Southalabama84

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
Looking at these numbers (length of ownership, miles, daily commute, fill ups, etc.) I wish the Fuelly app had the ability to display overall speed. Yes, it would not be easy and would require a lot more logging. Likely too much work, but seeing some of the numbers and Fuellys in signatures, it looks like there is a fair amount of TDIClub members stuck in traffic - when compared to their overall commute distance and FE reports.
I always try to out my information from the MFD in the comments on Fuelly. There is definitely a correlation in average speed and the MPG for the tank. I usually try to take the least congested route but sometimes still get caught. I’ve also noticed a difference when it is hot and I’m running the ac more the efficiency goes down.

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
First road trip to Montana with 2015 golf 6m with 36k . Car was a pleasure to drive and Once again I am impressed . Maybe the outa state fuel is better ? . 2 kids the wife and loaded to the roof with camping gear Averaged 50mpg hand calculating over 3400 miles( MFD showed 54mpg ) Best tank 52, worst was 46.
Car would do hand calculated 50 mpg @ 75. 46-47 mpg @ 80. This is 4000ft + elevation with 70+ temps. FYI my normal foothill driving average is about 43 mpg.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
15 GSW, 6 spd stick, stock. <9K miles at trip start. I95 too S. Florida towing a 5x8 Uhaul box trailer loaded well over 3k lbs. W/ loaded trailer & loaded car, speeds averaging 75+/-, MFD avg. fuel consumption 27.8 MPG. Return trip, no trailer, lightly loaded car w/ 2 persons: MFD avg. speed 77 mph & 54.8 MPG. Overall, I remain impressed, especially on the towing!

Last edited:

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
My wife has a '13 DSG beetle and a kinda rotten commute sometimes, so I had predicted upper 30's when we picked it up two months ago. So far it has been spot on. I got a 40 MPG tank by taking a ~300 mile road trip in the middle of it. That was as fast as traffic would bear :)
She never strayed far from ~44 MPG with the manual MkIV beetle for several years on that same commute. She has a couple of kinds of arthritis, so the shifting was getting old.
She couldn't be more pleased with the new car.

kindkind

TDI
15 gsw mt
Bought GSW 6sp with 12k. Just finished my first tank:
80%/20% hwy/city
portions of my 80mi roundtrip commute have some traffic. Some hills (bay area), 60-95 degrees, cruise 65-75mph.
575mi
46.9 MPG
Based on the MFD i was hoping for 50, but i think i can achieve that with less city and less traffic.
Car is stock.

kindkind

TDI
15 gsw mt
OK, tank #2:
85%hwy
638mi
cruise 60-65
53.52 mpg
avg 39mph
MFD read 56.7...
$3.69@Costco

car no longer stock, its tinted XD

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
cruise at 60? wth is up with these slow drivers?

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
I've put 26k miles on my DSG since new. 80% 80mph freeway and 20% city. My hand calculated average is right at 40mpg. The cold winter weather and altitude probably knocked about 3-5 mpg off of the average but I'm not complaining. I did get one tank where I averaged 53 mpg but that was mostly 55 mph highways and 30 mph towns at sea level and 70 degree temps..

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It really depends on where you live. I've been stopped for speeding at 60 mph in rural Eastern Shore Maryland. Delmarva cops don't play.
i guess we just don't cover that many miles over rural roads, its all highway for us with cruise set at 70-75.

Kalevi1Poeg

TDI
2015 Golf SE Manual TDI Mk7 Silk Blue, 20th Anniversary GTI Jazz Blue
47.9 Mpg @ 136k

Average 47.9 mpg over 237 fill ups, 136269 miles
All pump measured on Fuelly

Winter drops to 44mpg due to the cold and fuel
Interstate runs at 75-80 mph drops it to 43mpg also
Phase 2 fix dropped mileage by about 0.7 mpg

Running well
Some fixes so far:
Water pump leaking and timing belt at 85k
Sensor on AdBlue tank did not recognize fill at 125k (exciting as it happened on vacation - needed to keep the car running until we got home)

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Running well
Some fixes so far:
Water pump leaking and timing belt at 85k
Sensor on AdBlue tank did not recognize fill at 125k (exciting as it happened on vacation - needed to keep the car running until we got home)
Whoa - fill us in on that last one; did you literally "keep the car running" day and night?
What was the fix for it? I would've thought that letting the car sit overnight would allow it to reset; or at most, unplug the battery for a couple minutes (?).

Kalevi1Poeg

TDI
2015 Golf SE Manual TDI Mk7 Silk Blue, 20th Anniversary GTI Jazz Blue
Whoa - fill us in on that last one; did you literally "keep the car running" day and night?
What was the fix for it? I would've thought that letting the car sit overnight would allow it to reset; or at most, unplug the battery for a couple minutes (?).
Not as bad as that.

Happened on the second last day of vacation the warning came up that only 200 miles till car will not start - no warning before that. Filled the AdBlue tank and still got the same warning. So the next day drove the last 950 miles back home in one go - fuelling with the car running. Hoping that I did not stall anywhere.
Drove it to the dealership, parked it and as the warning said, it did not start again.
Faulty sensor in the AdBlue tank - covered by the TDI fix warranty.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Best time of the year for mileage here in Southern AZ, don't need the AC anymore and I think we are still on summer fuel. My City average is climbing just to shy of 40. I also made the MFD adjustment with OBDeleven and the display has been very close to the hand calculated numbers, usually within .5

Beeah

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSWs 6MT | 02 Jetta TDI(Sold)
Took a vacation/road trip a few weeks ago. I'm too lazy to find a way to host the pics somewhere but...

Michigan > VA > KY > MI
1326 Miles
62mph AVG
53.7mpg indicated.
This was driving 5 over everywhere.

The drive home from KY to MI
346 Miles
69mph AVG
55.9mpg indicated.
Also 5 over.

I know I know, the readout can be a bit high but I don't care. I'm a happy driver!

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
My 6M with about 78K miles is happiest at 75 degrees F. Currently in a cold fat snap with highs in the 40-50's and lows in 27-30's and economy took a hit about 10%. Could be winter blend/rolling resistance (up because it is harder to push the car back and forth when dressing tires).

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
My best mileage ever on Thursday driving from Flagstaff to Tucson, my wife driving the TDI following me home in a Wrangler I bought up there. Due to road conditions and the Jeep speeds were down around 60-70 the whole way, TDI got 52, MFD said the same within .3 Jeep got 15.5:(

hip001

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL dsg
Took a trip to Nashville. MFD said 50mpg. Hand calculated was 46.8mpg. gong with coilovers and tune. Hope I can squeek out a couple more mpg.

Physicsdog

TDI
Still looking
I am getting close to buying a 2015 Golf Sportswagen and it will have around 95K on it. Without doing anything to it, would anyone care to estimate what I will get driving around town in Prescott and driving highway to Las Vegas and back? I am just curious. I do not drive fast or aggressive but normally do the speed limit. Retired, not in a hurry. I am excited by some of the numbers you all have posted on your mpg. Since it will be registered out of state in Montana, I believe I am somewhat safe in altering the chips or internals in the future. I am looking at this almost like a hobby.

I am also intrigued by some posts which say you can add a trailer hitch to the Golf Sportswagen ( I think it was Oil Hammer?). I would like the ability to tow an aluminum trailer (around 630 lbs trailer weight) and no more than around 900 lbs cargo Not - to - exceed 1000. So a total of 1630 - no more. I am also thinking of making sure the trailer has either surge or better yet electric brakes. Any thought on my numbers?

Thanks,

dog

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Mk7 has a great towing setup, with the receiver screwing right into the frame rails. There's a couple threads here on towing and wiring setups.
While towing with the GSW is "not recommended" in the North American market (🙄), the same vehicles are rated for 2000kg towing in Europe. So your setup should be fine.

Freeway driving with traffic on the roads (cuts down on the wind resistance), you should be able to hit 50mpg - I averaged 43mpg on a drive through the mountains last week, going closer to 75mph (120kph) most of the while, and through some compact and slushy sections (slowed down for those) and with sparse traffic.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I put this in the Mk7 towing thread (years ago), but for anyone interested, here's what I pulled off the OG VW site back then.
(unbraked trailer in left column, trailer with brakes on right).

Physicsdog

TDI
Still looking
I do not know much yet about what engine or nomenclature is assigned to a 2015 VW Golf Sportswagon and where it resides on the above Chart. the SEL designation is on the advertisement of the two I am currently looking a…

again, thanks

dog

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I do not know much yet about what engine or nomenclature is assigned to a 2015 VW Golf Sportswagon and where it resides on the above Chart. the SEL designation is on the advertisement of the two I am currently looking a…again, thanks dog
We have a whole thread dedicated just to towing. It's not full of Mk7's, but they are commonly used in Europe for towing.