Fogs

13flpassat

TDI
2013 Passat SEL, reflex silver
I know I know, you're thinking "not another fog light thread".. well, it is.. :p
I'm new to the car (three weeks) and I'm curious to know if anyone else has noticed this. My wife leaves in the morning to take the kids to school and as she backs out of the dark garage and down the drive way I notice that the headlights are on (auto on so, no shock there) but also my fogs are on. As she gets to the street and drives moves forward, they go out. So I tested it, and indeed the fogs come on as I move the car in to reverse while parked in the dark garage :confused: . I haven't tested drive while in the garage but I suspect that it doesn't work since the lights go out when she moves forward on the road but the headlights remain on. I'm going to do more tests when I get a chance.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I know I know, you're thinking "not another fog light thread".. well, it is.. :p
I'm new to the car (three weeks) and I'm curious to know if anyone else has noticed this. My wife leaves in the morning to take the kids to school and as she backs out of the dark garage and down the drive way I notice that the headlights are on (auto on so, no shock there) but also my fogs are on. As she gets to the street and drives moves forward, they go out. So I tested it, and indeed the fogs come on as I move the car in to reverse while parked in the dark garage :confused: . I haven't tested drive while in the garage but I suspect that it doesn't work since the lights go out when she moves forward on the road but the headlights remain on. I'm going to do more tests when I get a chance.
Not only do they come on in reverse, but the one on the side you are turning toward at low speed will come on as well (cornering feature).

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
that is an awesome feature. Its a little tricky backing out of my girlfriends driveway, I have to squeeze between her car and the corner of the house while doing a turn. At night both are hard to see, the fog lights provide just enough light just where I need it so I dont turn into either one. First time I noticed it I was backing strait into a parking spot and thought "whats the point of that", if your backing up strait or nothing is around it seems pointless. When you are in a certain situation and they light up something you could otherwise barely see, you will appreciate them.

13flpassat

TDI
2013 Passat SEL, reflex silver
Well there you go.. me being a dumb a** :) I guess I need to RTFM a little closer. - Thanks!

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I guess I'm in the minority that things these features are stupid.

I wish (and maybe there is) a way to have them on with headlights regardless of which way I am turning or if I am backing out etc.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
they turn on with headlight in 'on' position when you pull out the switch. Its not a feature I would pay for but it serves a (small) function. I think my sunroof is a stupid feature :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hey look - another stupid feature thread! :rolleyes: (just kidding - kind of) ;)

Schumi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
My fog lights do not come on when I pull out the switch at the auto setting. The fog light indicator light does come on. If I put the switch in manual on, and then pull the switch out the fogs do come on. Is this right?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
My fog lights do not come on when I pull out the switch at the auto setting. The fog light indicator light does come on. If I put the switch in manual on, and then pull the switch out the fogs do come on. Is this right?
Does your switch even come out in auto mode? I can pull on mine but it doesn't come out. It only comes out in manual mode, which is the only place the fogs work.

Wish it worked in auto mode as well!:(

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I always have the fog lights on when my headlights are on. So the cornering feature is useless to me. And I got the Euro switch so I can have fog lights without headlights. But still no fogs in Auto mode. I don't use auto mode, but my wife does. Maybe she appreciates the cornering feature?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I do find the cornering feature useful when parking in an unlit area.

It's also fun to annoy people on the other side of a red light by turn your steering wheel back and forth slightly to activate each fog. :p