What tires did you replace your stock Conti's with???

JATPOL

TDI
'14 Golf TDI 6M Candy White
These are the ones I'm thinking of come this spring. How do you like them, quiet, comfort?
5000 miles so far and I like them , quiet and comfort about the same ( Very good in rain better then Conti's ) :D My opinion.
I don't know about snow conditions yet :(

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
5000 miles so far and I like them , quiet and comfort about the same ( Very good in rain better then Conti's ) :D My opinion.
I don't know about snow conditions yet :(
Good to know, thanks. I have snow tires I put on in the winter, so I would only be using the tires in wet/dry conditions.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I drive a little... agressively so my reviews might be a little slanted towards the performance aspect.
The stock ContiSport Contacts only lasted me about 20,000 miles with 1 autocross. The autocross really took it's toll on the tires at around 8k miles. Granted I was scrubbing the tires a bit, but it was just too much fun to plow into a corner and use the e-brake to get the back end around a corner. By 25k miles the tires were down below the wear bars and starting to cup.
The Conti's were not bad tires... just not what I want in a tire. They didn't impress me in either wet or dry traction and with the hard driving they tore and wore quickly.

At about 25k miles I replaced the 16" Conti's with 18" Dunlop SP01's courtesy of a new GLI which also upgraded.
I was actually pretty impressed with the Conti's. They held up much better to abuse than the Conti's (which was expected) but the traction was much much improved. They were better in both the wet and the dry and of course the additional sidewall stiffness was much appreciated. The picture below is right after the "Fastivus" event at Willow Springs. The Dunlops lasted me around 35k miles before becoming slicks. Not bad!
These tires would benefit from a heavier shoulder lug to reduce the tearing and chunking at the edges.

At 60k miles I replaced the Dunlops with some cheaper tires, GTRadial Champiro UHP1's. WOW, just WOW!!! They are almost as good as the Direzza Star Specs I am running on my track car! They grip like stink and don't get greasy when they get hot, which the Dunlops would do eventually.
Because they are a summer performance tire I was not expecting great tire wear. I am currently at around 73k miles and expect to replace these before I reach 80k miles... but the shoulders are not all torn up and they went through a pretty torturous run at Fontana at Fastivus 2015. If you notice in the picture, the wear is very uniform and there is no sign of chunking or tearing of the lugs. This is really a great, CHEAP tire. I already have a 2nd set in the garage because my local Discount Tire Manager said they were discontinuing the tire :(. While I don't drive a lot in the rain, when I did the UHP1's kept me going in the direction I wanted to the whole time, even through deeper water.

GAZNRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW
Got 61,000 out of the Conti's - all 4 tires read 4 on the depth gauge when I replaced them with Michelin PS3. The ride, traction and stopping is significantly better and I lost and average of 2 MPG per gallon since I got these new tires.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Well today I had to go get a patch put in a tire. I knew our tires were near the end of their life, but didn't think it'd be this soon. One of the front tires is at 3/32 and the other is 4/32. The two rears are at 5/32.

We are coming up to our 100k mile service and I was wondering if it'd be okay to have the front rotated to the back and the back to the front?

We have Cinturato P7 All Season tires on now that are just shy of 50k miles. I'm kind of disappointed because they are rated to 70k, but I don't think we'll get anything near that. I was kinda hoping we could at least get 60k miles out of them, but I don't know if that tire rotation will be a good thing to do or not, since I don't know how 'dangerous' that is.

I'm going to to go back to Michelin's Primacy MXM4 tires most likely. I just hate being in this situation that we need new tires soon, but still don't know what VW is doing with their TDI's.

The rep quoted me $860'ish for some Michelin Premier A/S tires, saying they were better than the MXM4's.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Well today I had to go get a patch put in a tire. I knew our tires were near the end of their life, but didn't think it'd be this soon. One of the front tires is at 3/32 and the other is 4/32. The two rears are at 5/32.

We are coming up to our 100k mile service and I was wondering if it'd be okay to have the front rotated to the back and the back to the front?

We have Cinturato P7 All Season tires on now that are just shy of 50k miles. I'm kind of disappointed because they are rated to 70k, but I don't think we'll get anything near that. I was kinda hoping we could at least get 60k miles out of them, but I don't know if that tire rotation will be a good thing to do or not, since I don't know how 'dangerous' that is.

I'm going to to go back to Michelin's Primacy MXM4 tires most likely. I just hate being in this situation that we need new tires soon, but still don't know what VW is doing with their TDI's.

The rep quoted me $860'ish for some Michelin Premier A/S tires, saying they were better than the MXM4's.
Well, according to my tire depth gauge 4/32 is at the top of the "red zone". All my stock conti's are at 5/32 and I would not trust them in moderate to heavy rain.

The last time I drove in heavy rain on the highway I was hydroplaning all over the place. The traction control light was flashing like crazy and I was having a hard time maintaining 55-60mph, forget cornering or having to brake quickly.

I'm more than ready to swap these for some Pilot Sport AS3's in the next month or so.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased

The premier is also a grand touring tire like the primacy. But the premier has its technology to maintain wet performance through the life of the tire

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

mikeygstl

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, *2011 JSW
I went with Pirelli Cinturato P7 - Great tire so far with 22k miles on them. Coincidentally, they came stock on my mom's new A4. Live in the Midwest, so a mix of 100 degree weather and 0 degree weather, rain, sleet, snow, etc. Much better than the Conti Pro Contact junk that we took off at 18k miles.

FWIW - we had the Michelin MXV4's on our 2006 jetta sedan (16" wheels). They were a great tire as well.

Last edited:

PoliPino

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I've been very happy with the Bridgestone Ecopia tires I got from Costco. Great tread wear after a couple years and about 50K miles, and they seem to add a couple MPG, since they're Low Rolling Resistance.

nc_yooper

TDI
Jetta '10
I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and they were down to 4/32 in 20k miles. Warrantied for 45K so I am getting cash back to buy new tires but can't believe they wore out so quickly. Good grip initially, but now at this tread depth they give away unexpectedly when I exceed their grip. Is there a tire that has grip and long tread wear?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and they were down to 4/32 in 20k miles. Warrantied for 45K so I am getting cash back to buy new tires but can't believe they wore out so quickly. Good grip initially, but now at this tread depth they give away unexpectedly when I exceed their grip. Is there a tire that has grip and long tread wear?
You drive like I do. No, if you like to brake late, hammer turns and enjoy grip, long tread wear is not in your future. Think of it as entertainment cost. On an hourly basis it's a lot cheaper than golf or fishing :D More fun too. I never get over 25k from summer tires and turned a set of Blizzaks into slicks in 10 k miles. Happy motoring :D

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hmmm... Do you want grip or do you want long tread life? or varying degrees of each?

I personally have a set of Continential's V-Rated PureContacts in 225/45 17 that still are going strong. I have about 30,000 on them now and they look like they have another 10k left before they reach 4/32. For a grand touring tire they have great grip in all four seasons that we get in Maryland!

What I would recommend to you would very on what states you live in and travel to.

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
I just replaced my stock hankook's with the brand new Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ tires yesterday. They were manufactured in January 2016, the same month they were announced. My initial impressions are very good, I could not break traction in 2nd gear as was really easy with the hankook's. So far I'm really impressed with the grip, the hankooks aren't worn out or anything, but I wasn't happy with them. I'm looking forward to trying them out in the rain.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I just replaced my stock hankook's with the brand new Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ tires yesterday. They were manufactured in January 2016, the same month they were announced. My initial impressions are very good, I could not break traction in 2nd gear as was really easy with the hankook's. So far I'm really impressed with the grip, the hankooks aren't worn out or anything, but I wasn't happy with them. I'm looking forward to trying them out in the rain.
I didn't know that Michelin updated the A/S3's. How's the initial road noise?

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
They were announced in January, and just made available this month.
The road noise is minimal, the main difference is these is that they are supposed to be better in the snow, not that I care about that, these are not winter tires.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/pilot-sport-a-s-3-plus.html
They seem like a very good 3 month tire for anyone that deals with decent snow. Though they look like they can handle a surprise storm pretty well too. According the to the tirerack review of the "+" they are almost as good as the DWS06 in the snow, but they have better dry/wet traction then the DWS06.

That's some impressive stuff!:cool:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...odel=Pilot+Sport+A/S+3++(W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated)

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome....just in time too. I was planning on getting the original A/S 3 very soon. I drive conservatively most of the time, but I want the tire to be there for the times I want to have some fun.

We don't have much snow here, but as long as it keeps its reputation of good wet and dry grip I'm all in.

akrievins

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Comfortline - DSG
I bought my 2012 Golf with 120,000kms on it with these Hankook tires which I'm sure were the second set. At 160,000 kms I took them off to put my winters on and found this. Surprisingly they were still holding air.

I've since bought these, but have yet to mount them. I picked up the set of 4 215 55 R16 Continental ContiProContact tires. They're the 97H rating. Seems like a pretty nice touring tire.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I just got back from Discount Tires with a new set of Yokohama YK580.

Not as well known of tire, but this is my second set because I think they are a pretty good tire. They're got really good traction, practically no road noise, Low rolling resistance, and they're not expensive ($130 per tire).

Only time I've broken traction is during a heavy rain and I accelerate from a stop with a little to much throttle. Pretty normal.

I got almost 55k miles out of my last set and they still had some tread left. I picked up a screw in one of them, but since they were already nearing the end of their life, I went ahead and replaced them all.

RickFav52

TDI
2011 GSW TDI
Switched mine out for nokia wrg3 all weathers. Sick and tired of switching tires twice a year. They have the snowflake and are legal here in Quebec. Just did 4k miles return to Florida and they performed great in the rain and sleet i experienced during the drive. As usual the wagon performed flawlessly....what a great highway car. 65k miles now and hoping it stays trouble free till this is sorted out.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Getting my tires replaced on Friday with the new PS A/S 3+.

Also, Michelin is running a $70 rebate card promotion until 4/10/16 which was part of the reason I decided to buy them a month or so early. All my tires are at 3-4/32nds and I've seen a decrease in wet weather performance.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Replaced the Conti's with BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 AS tires. So far I like them. I run Blizzaks in winter and had no problems getting around when the blizzard hit in Jan.

Rob_TDI_13

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I got 67k Mike's out of my Continental tires on my 2013 Jetta TDI. Replaced them with Pirelli Cinterato P7s last January.

Face76

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW TDI
DW, then DWS06. Since I have dedicated snow wheels and tires, I wish that I would have stuck with DWs again.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Pirelli Cinterato P7 AS+. Only time will tell but right now the ride and the quietness is better than the stock conti's I replaced. I just took off the winter tires so that sure make a difference in the feel of my new Pirelli's vs the stock Conti's Also the price was right from Discount Tire Direct, free shipping and Pirelli rebate.

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I live in sunny southern California and dangerously need new tires.

I was originally thinking about summer performance tires, but need something to handle the random "winter" downpours of rain we experience, like flash flooding status.

Last weekend I got caught in a spring snow storm on a mountain bike ride. Let me tell you, it was sketchy as hell descending a 4000ft mountain in fresh snow with bald tires.

Anyways, Conti DW was the direction I was thinking, but the recent once-a-year snow experience has me considering the Conti DWS06.

Any input as to Conti DW vs DWS06 for a socal resident?

Also, I'm thinking about buying a set of Neuspeed RSe05 wheels to mount the tires. In the event of a mandatory buyback, I would bolt the OEM wheels w bald tires back on and keep the RSe05 with fresh tires.

thanks