question on identifying parts

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
so the question i have, is how can i identify a 1.9 camshaft? because i have a number of 1.6cams as well. i have a couple well used, then again that seems a bit strange because only one is supposed to have made it, then again sometime, in the past, seems we acquired another head(1.6)was slightly busted, whether it was fully assembled i ll never remember, was sometime ago. think i still have that head, and all the other heads i ended up busting, or that got busted in my garage. as it happens all those cams except for one got stored in the same place. no real way for me to tell which are 1.6 and if i have (a good)1.9. who stored them just put them all there, nicely, most were not marked, to my dismay, as i had suggested they be marked, no my other shop 'person' does what he wants. so i, as at a lot of times have to figure (some, or more) of these things out.
the one i have is a good 1.9(ahu) cam, for one id like to identify in that box, if, the other i should have. for the other, right now im debating whether i want to put that one good german cam in the head i right now have, as you can tell its not a ger head.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
huh, no help, yet.
the reason i ask is right now i have my water apart, changing out all the hoses, going to pull my pump, if you remember, i had problems with it. i, early last year, had swapped out a thermo. well now im doing it all. water pump as it turns out is plastic, have a metal one to put in there. so as it is, with pump coming off, i have timing apart. i, if i can identify the other 1.9 cam, can swap it in. prob get done with this, by mon maybe tues. could use some help here. thanks. aside from an explanation, the head i have in it, i ve identified what i think may be a problem with cam and lifters. may not be *that immediate of a problem, but with timing apart i have an easy chance to try something that should work ok.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
so i had posted in my other topic, part about this topic. i hadnt gotten any replies. any info? i have in a box 3-4 camshafts, one may be ng, not the point, as the ng cam will be a 1.6na. so i need to be able to tell the difference betw the unmarked cams and find the one thats an AHU1.9 cam. thanks.