New TDI Player To The US This Summer

phh-dfw

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
For the 2019 model year, which should start showing up in dealerships the latter part of this summer, Hyundai is bringing a 2.2L CDRI Turbodiesel Santa Fe to the US market. According to press releases, 195 HP and 320 lb-ft of torque. As a reference, the Ford 6.7L Turbodiesel Powerstroke engine they put in the F-250's, 350's, and 450's has 440 HP and 860 lb-ft of torque, and Hyundai will be doing that with 32.8% of the displacement generating 44.3% of the HP and 37.2% of the torque.
US EPA MPG figures are not released yet, but I saw one Australian source saying their government rates it 43 MPG, which I would assume is HWY. That was for the 2018 model year with a 6 speed A/T, and the 2019 US configuration is going to have an 8 speed A/T. Unfortunately, the M/T version available most everywhere else, will not be available in the US,
This vehicle with this engine has been sold outside the US since 2012 that I'm aware of, so it is well "shook out". The 2019 Santa Fe will be the re-name of the 2 row seating 2018 Santa Fe Sport, and 2019 Santa Fe XL will be the re-name of the 3 row seating 2018 Santa Fe. There will also be a Santa Fe with a 3rd row for "Occasional 3rd row seating".
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/02/2019-hyundai-santa-fe-drops-sport-adds-diesel/
https://www.productreview.com.au/p/hyundai-santa-fe-2006-present/m/cm-2006-2012/3.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVGgcRrlXdg
http://www.thedrive.com/news/9514/hyundai-crosses-antarctica-with-beefed-up-santa-fe

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I doubt very much the 43 MPG is in US Gallons. Looking at Fuelly entries in previous years such as 2014 or 2014 or 2015 and for the few Hyndai Santa Fe diesel model entries the average MPG is below 30 MPG.

I would think that a vehicle designed in a 'wagon' fashion such as the 2019 Ford Transit Connect has a much better chance of giving you the most 'bang for the money' in terms of efficiency combined with passenger and cargo space (if it is sold with a diesel engine in the US for next year).

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Interesting if it comes to fruition in North America !

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just so you know, TDI is a VW trademark. So any "new TDI" would have to be coming from VW Group. New diesel is more like it.

You really can't compare output figures between a truck and auto engine. Designs are very different. Hyundai's output figures are on a par with similar engines.

Of course I would welcome any new diesel auto to the US market, but Mazda has been promising one for the CX-5 for some time. No release yet. Hope Hyundai doesn't do the same.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
EPA rating for Hyundai Santa Fe is 28mpg for a gas model, and the Cd=0.34. 43mpg for the diesel may be a little optimistic, but definitely realizable with an efficient transmission.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This vehicle with this engine has been sold outside the US since 2012 that I'm aware of, so it is well "shook out".
That's a bigger no than a yes. Even though the same basic engine has been used elsewhere since 2012, it has never been in operation with the required EPA/Carb emissions equipment attached. All bets are off when it comes to making a worldwide diesel comply to the US regulations. It took GM an extra 18 months to prove it could be done in the Canyon/Colorado.

phh-dfw

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I doubt very much the 43 MPG is in US Gallons. Looking at Fuelly entries in previous years such as 2014 or 2014 or 2015 and for the few Hyndai Santa Fe diesel model entries the average MPG is below 30 MPG.

I would think that a vehicle designed in a 'wagon' fashion such as the 2019 Ford Transit Connect has a much better chance of giving you the most 'bang for the money' in terms of efficiency combined with passenger and cargo space (if it is sold with a diesel engine in the US for next year).
My mistake. That 43 mpg was aboutva 2015 Tucson. Here is the link:

https://www.parkers.co.uk/hyundai/tucson/estate-2015/20-crdi-(185bhp)-premium-5d-auto/specs/

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You really can't compare output figures between a truck and auto engine. Designs are very different. Hyundai's output figures are on a par with similar engines.

Of course I would welcome any new diesel auto to the US market, but Mazda has been promising one for the CX-5 for some time. No release yet. Hope Hyundai doesn't do the same.
I agree, there's no sense in comparing different classes of diesel engine by output. A 12 L semi engine might only be rated for 500 hp- but that's for continuous industrial use. When a small tdi engine is used in industry they usually turn the wick way down for longevity.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If I had a nickel for every time some new diesel car was coming to the USA, I'd have, like, a dollar by now.

I have to see it to believe it.