Soooo, I bought a new '16 Touareg TDI

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Make sure you also factor in the settlement money, if it hasn't already been claimed.
Hi there. With regards to the settlement money: would the dealer have received it and factored it in to the "sale" price, or would the purchaser be eligible to receive this money? Thanks!

Diesel4Mark

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
You can check a specific VIN at https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/3-0-models/.

You may be eligible for relief if:
You currently hold title to Generation One Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories or hold it by bill of sale dated before June 1, 2019; you currently hold title to a Generation Two Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories or hold it by bill of sale dated before December 31, 2019

Last edited:

Alec

TDI
'16 Touareg TDI Lux
So,

I just bought a "new" white with beige interior 2016 TDI Lux. Paid just under $45k to the dealer (price & dealer fees, excluding tax & registration). MSRP was just under $59k, however, the car had 10,100 miles on it, and I had to travel 6 hours to SC.

I was planning to keep my 2010 Touareg, but when I saw the '16's being released for sale and looked at the buy-back amount on an 8 year old car (pretty beat on, but with fewer than 60k miles) . . . I got sucked in.

I wanted a light color (though that blue is really beautiful) and light interior, which seemed a little harder to find in this region. I did look at another TDI Lux, white with black interior and 5k miles, which the dealer eventually offered to sell for $47k, FWIW.

About the new car:

I re-set the transmission learning (ignition on, engine not running, accelerator to the floor for 15 seconds then release, ignition off) and that seems (after a few trips) to have fixed what would have been unacceptable shifting at lower speeds.

I'm not thrilled with the AdaptiveCruiseControl.

I also am still a little confused about the warranty on this vehicle . . . The dealer who sold it to me told me it has 4 year 48k bumper to bumper, and made a note to that effect. However, I think they were confusing the minimum emissions extension with bumper to bumper. Is there a VW site where one can enter a VIN and get full Warranty information?

Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with the decision. The Touareg TDI is kind of in a class of its own, and it doesn't look like there will be much chance to buy a new one in the US again.

Alec

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
Not on the Touareg. I was told that it was discontinued a few years ago.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I'm considering a 2016 Touareg TDI or 2017 VR6. Is maintenance included for first 3 years?

Thanks
Aside from fuel filter on the tdi there are no maintenance difference between the 2.....if you want the vr6..dont drive the tdi there is no comparison

regulator26

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
So,

I just bought a "new" white with beige interior 2016 TDI Lux. Paid just under $45k to the dealer (price & dealer fees, excluding tax & registration). MSRP was just under $59k, however, the car had 10,100 miles on it, and I had to travel 6 hours to SC.

I was planning to keep my 2010 Touareg, but when I saw the '16's being released for sale and looked at the buy-back amount on an 8 year old car (pretty beat on, but with fewer than 60k miles) . . . I got sucked in.

I wanted a light color (though that blue is really beautiful) and light interior, which seemed a little harder to find in this region. I did look at another TDI Lux, white with black interior and 5k miles, which the dealer eventually offered to sell for $47k, FWIW.

About the new car:

I re-set the transmission learning (ignition on, engine not running, accelerator to the floor for 15 seconds then release, ignition off) and that seems (after a few trips) to have fixed what would have been unacceptable shifting at lower speeds.

I'm not thrilled with the AdaptiveCruiseControl.

I also am still a little confused about the warranty on this vehicle . . . The dealer who sold it to me told me it has 4 year 48k bumper to bumper, and made a note to that effect. However, I think they were confusing the minimum emissions extension with bumper to bumper. Is there a VW site where one can enter a VIN and get full Warranty information?

Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with the decision. The Touareg TDI is kind of in a class of its own, and it doesn't look like there will be much chance to buy a new one in the US again.

Alec
Pickup up a new 2016 Lux w/Driver Assistance had 75 miles on it White/Beige for my wife. Sticker $59,005 and purchase price was $44,754 before tax and tags. Partner program brought it down to $44,254. I calculate the discount off at 25%. Had to travel from NY to PA to get.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I own a 2012 TREG TDI and will turn it in at the last time possible and will try to buy a used 2016. Here in FL people aren't braking the doors down to buy them. Like to get a low mileage Florida car.

I can't find anything I like besides the TREG.

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
How is VW releasing the bought back and repaired Touareg TDIs to market? Is it just VW dealers that will get them? Is VW selling them at auctions as well?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
How is VW releasing the bought back and repaired Touareg TDIs to market? Is it just VW dealers that will get them? Is VW selling them at auctions as well?
They aren't. There is no fix for the Gen 2 Touaregs. They're getting crushed. Its interesting that the 2.0 TDI's had a choice, while the 3.0 TDI's only got a buyback for Gen 2 and only got a fix for Gen 3.

Last edited:

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
They aren't. There is no fix for the Gen 3 Touaregs. They're getting crushed. Its interesting that the 2.0 TDI's had a choice, while the 3.0 TDI's only got a buyback for Gen 2 and only got a fix for Gen 3.
So then, where are these "lower" mileage 2015 and 2016 Touareg TDIs coming from that are showing up on ebay and dealer lots? A few months ago, there weren't any.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
I own a 2012 TREG TDI and will turn it in at the last time possible and will try to buy a used 2016. Here in FL people aren't braking the doors down to buy them. Like to get a low mileage Florida car.
I can't find anything I like besides the TREG.
How many miles do you have on it. I am going to be buying a used 2015 because it is a compact efficient tow package. I’d be hard pressed to find another relatively compact heavy hauler that can get great fuel economy and is not a massive pickup truck and is still nice to drive.
I am particularly concerned about issues surrounding the camshaft drive chains and these DPF equipped vehicles frying their oil during regens in stop and go traffic. I have NO Issues with my 2 litre Passat tdi but I drive 150 miles at a shot all highway driving. the 3 litre is a much more complex and expensive engine. So have some concerns surrounding driving a Touareg in short haul grocery shopping scenario. If you want an interesting read check out the issues on Mercedes BlueTec engines here : http://www.stephensservice.com/bluetec-diesel-issuesproblems/ as far as I can tell the vw engine is quite similar but then I’m not a mechanic or an automotive engineer.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
So then, where are these "lower" mileage 2015 and 2016 Touareg TDIs coming from that are showing up on ebay and dealer lots? A few months ago, there weren't any.
They are stop sale vehicles that have been sitting on dealer lots waiting for the fix. There was no buyback on 13-16 TDI’s. Only 2012 and earlier and those ones will not be fixed and resold.

gta_driver

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
They aren't. There is no fix for the Gen 3 Touaregs. They're getting crushed. Its interesting that the 2.0 TDI's had a choice, while the 3.0 TDI's only got a buyback for Gen 2 and only got a fix for Gen 3.
What? Gen 3 Tourags are not getting crushed - they're getting sold to consumers.

Maybe a typo?:D

gta_driver

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I'm considering a 2016 Touareg TDI or 2017 VR6. Is maintenance included for first 3 years?

Thanks
If you haven' bought a VR6 yet, go find yourself a TDI. Not only do you save on gas (about 20% less), you also get much better pickup, and acceleration.

Drive them both, and then decide.

There should be no reason to get a VR6 - it is underpowered for a 5,000 lbs vehicle.

Of course, no offense to anyone with VR6.:eek:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
yah not sure where you got your info....i bought mine one month late and they wont buy it back i have to keep it

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
If you haven' bought a VR6 yet, go find yourself a TDI. Not only do you save on gas (about 20% less), you also get much better pickup, and acceleration.

Drive them both, and then decide.

There should be no reason to get a VR6 - it is underpowered for a 5,000 lbs vehicle.

Of course, no offense to anyone with VR6.:eek:
Our friend went from a buyback 2012 TDI to a 2016 VR6. She doesn't like the VR6 at all.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Next wk my 2012 TDI gets traded for a "new" TDI 1000 miles. Hope it's as good as my 2012. I have concerns about the conditions of various parts exposed top the elements the past 2 yrs. I have seen the car and it looks like a brand new car.

WinchesterTDI

TDI
Golf Mk6
approved emissions modification completed??

torque is addicting
absolutely!

i am considering a '15 or '16. Many dealerships write: "Buy with confidence...approved emissions modification completed". What exactly did VW modify to the emissions system? I'm certain the technical explanation may be overwhelming... I'm mostly curious if the VW modification changed the performance of the Touareg TDI. Are the specs changed from the original 240 Hp - 406 Lb-ft. tq. - 21 city/28 hwy MPG?

thank you!

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I bgt a "new" LUX at 15% off the mrsp. They are like "hens teeth" now. Dealer went out in the net work and found one 300mi away, had it shipped down and made the deal. I was trading my 2012 treg LUX which made it an almost even swap.

myfirstvwtdi

TDI
Touareg
2016 TDI Sport w/ Technology

My wife and I finally agreed on an SUV over labor day weekend when we happen to see the Touareg sitting in the showroom with a sale price of 25% of sticker. Drove better than the XC60 and SQ5. For just over 42K it was a no brainer! Still waiting on my nav update, supposedly it is on backorder. Anyone else get a 2018 nav update yet?

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
My 2012 TDI never did have a update done to it and I didn't notice any issue when using the nav mode. My 2016 won't have one either,unless it hinders my Nav performance.