DPF Cleaning

tax_dollars

TDI
2010 Jetta
I have the early 2010 MKV TDI and the DPF was clogged pretty bad when I purchased it, but it will run decent for a while if it manages to get a regen in. Does anyone know if the dealership or any other shop can do a DPF cleaning? or am I SOL and will have to shell out $3k to replace it?

Also, does anyone know where I can purchase a DPF to put in, besides going through the ridiculously priced shops?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Have you tried a search, both here, and a basic google search? I'm afraid you're going to have to do some research on your own.
There's a thread or two here about the subject...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/d...ter-dpf-faq-repair-cleaning-and-pictures-tdi/

has some good info. (ignore the part where the guy in Australia power washed his. good photos, however)

1k0-254-708-gx a good google on this part number will get you several sources.

you also could buy a gently used one (of course, you want to make sure it is not cracked)

why/how do you know it is full of soot?

do you have a VCDS and ross-tech cable?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Explain how you know the DPF was clogged. Because if it was, this is the very first I have ever heard of a CBEA or CJAA DPF being clogged up.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Explain how you know the DPF was clogged. Because if it was, this is the very first I have ever heard of a CBEA or CJAA DPF being clogged up.
Not to hijack, but this cbea of mine is showing 258mL. Is that good? :)

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

oilhammer

TDI
Not to hijack, but this cbea of mine is showing 258mL. Is that good? :)

If you have somewhere around 250k miles, it would fall into the range of "normal". Since I do not know what "bad" is, I cannot say what "good" is. When the ECU can no longer perform a successful regen, you'll know as the MIL will come on. I've seen this on a lot of Rams, a few Sprinters, and one Ford, but never on a Volkswagen.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
If you have somewhere around 250k miles, it would fall into the range of "normal". Since I do not know what "bad" is, I cannot say what "good" is. When the ECU can no longer perform a successful regen, you'll know as the MIL will come on. I've seen this on a lot of Rams, a few Sprinters, and one Ford, but never on a Volkswagen.

what is the highest mileage CBEA/CJAA car with an intact emissions system you have seen?

oilhammer

TDI
what is the highest mileage CBEA/CJAA car with an intact emissions system you have seen?

Currently 320k miles. I have a couple others in the ~280k range.

I've never seen a DPF "clog up" in one of these, but have replaced countless from internal cracking, that manifests itself as a clogged up EGR filter tube, which causes the low pressure EGR to quit working, and sets a DTC for such. They will also have a sooty tailpipe. This is very common. There is a TSB about it.

But with the current Dieselgate fiasco, I am advising my customers as well as everyone on here that if you have that issue to not do anything for the time being. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
But with the current Dieselgate fiasco, I am advising my customers as well as everyone on here that if you have that issue to not do anything for the time being. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.
Does your statement apply to ridiculous high mileage cars as well? I'm about to delete the emissions headache myself here pretty soon...

Mines cracked and severely overloaded according to 175 #s floating around. No code yet in egr headache area , but obviously wouldn't matter either.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the idea that the DPF has an ash limit of 175 is the product of a rectal data extraction.

(someone pulled it out of a non-authoritative orifice)