In the market for a VNT17, Boost pipe adapter and Malone Tune - Best vendor?

2002 ALH TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Good morning folks.

I'm in the market for a turbo and tune for my TDI. Im driving a 2002 Jetta ALH Manual car.

My car is growing the classic symptoms of "its turbo time" so i'm ready to get on this.

That said this is what i'm looking for:

-Garrett or BW VNT17 (stock euro TDI unit, not 1722)
-Boost pipe adapter
-Malone stage 3 tune with dynamic idle and EGR, and immobilizer delete.

IM looking for one vendor who can give me a good price on all of it together, rather than splitting it up.

Does anyone have any factual advice on weather the Borg Warner or Garrett units have better reliability?

My car does have a single mass flywheel and HD clutch installed. It also has the 11mil injection pump and complete matched DLC520 injectors, not just the nozzles.
I'm not looking for max power, just a solid boost without tanking reliability and fuel mileage. I'm out of my "dumb kid" ear, so I don't abuse this car, its my reliable driver.

I'm also looking for any pointers anyone may have for me on this project, as this is my first TDI, and I want to have everything I need in front of me.

So far I like the car, allbeit no where near as cozy and large as i prefer, with the average tank being 48mpg with my driving style its hard to argue, with the amount of miles I log in a week.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Ryan

Last edited:

2002 ALH TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Awesome.

Is there someone there I should contact in particular?

I wanted to discuss weather or not they could add the dynamic idle and egr as well as immobilizer bypass.

Thanks!

Ryan

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
You can call and ask for Andrew. He's almost always available.

Elijah is pretty good about inventory questions.

*edit* We've been to the shop twice now. Very upstanding and helpful group!

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Where in Wisconsin are you located? Also Stage 3 is not the correct tune for a VNT17. You will also need a 3 bar MAP.

2002 ALH TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Im in Hudson, right at the edge of roberts.

Thanks for the information on the tune.

Can you fill me in on whats needed for a VNT17? I guess i read some bad information.

The ultimate end goal was to not tank reliability or fuel mileage. The car already had DLC520 complete injectors and an 11mm pump in it when I bought it, figured since the turbo is tired, i might as well take a small step up.

What can you tell me?

I do want dynamic idle and EGR, and would like the imobilizer tuned out, as it displays intermittent issues.

Thanks,

Ryan

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'm not sure that with DLC520s you can take advantage of the vnt17. I specifically went with those nozzles to keep me from sliding down the slippery slope. From my reading you can push these along with the vnt15 with a stage 3, but that's it. Might also depend on how the injectors were set up: if they were set to a stage 3 then maybe you can realize the full potential there, otherwise you'd have to have them reset, or, get larger nozzles.

What clutch do you have? Price difference between a new a vnt15 and vnt17 might be able to cover parts cost for a new clutch, or at the very least put a good dent in it.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
PP/DLC520s will feed a VNT17 just fine, even more so with an 11mm IP.
ACK! I didn't want to hear that! That means I've still got a door that leads to the slippery slope!:eek:

2002 ALH TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Well, i believe it is a VR6 clutch.

That will just have to wait untill its not holding the power, lol.

Thanks for the advice. You and I will be talking.

Ryan

BuzzKen

TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
DLC520's are pretty small(.205), even with the 11mm. It will work well and be pretty much smoke free with the vnt17, probably a good fuelling level to keep that clutch safe for awhile.

2002 ALH TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I do drive responsibly. I would expect the clutch to hang in there. It is nearly brand new. I drive alot of highway, and dont slip or abuse it.

If at some point it exibits a problem, ill find a suitable replacment and get it take care of.

Ill be ordering the turbo today. Ill maintenance everything else while im in there.

Thanks for the pointers!

Ryan

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
Garrett's are more solid units. 'In my opinion'
Wouldn't the Borg Warner BV39 be a better turbo upgrade for a daily driver since it spools up quicker? I agree that the Garret vnt17 is a stronger unit overall but if lofty hp/tq goals aren't the target I think I'd get a BV39.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's a lot of confusion about model names with Garrett Turbos. I'm not sure there is a Borg-Warner equivalent to the VNT-17.

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Aaron can probably best comment on that: people I've talked to have used it as a stock VNT-15 replacement. Performs the same, once you get the actuator calibrated, which works a bit different than the OE or Mahle.

VNT-15s are a great turbo on these cars for most people, you can get good power with no lag or driveability penalties.

BuzzKen

TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
+2. Halfway between a vnt15 and a vnt17. And as far as reliablility, well.......... It's a Borg Warner.

Last edited:

2002 ALH TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I read that the Garrett vnt 17 spoils well and is not real laggy, as long as it's not the 17/22. With a stage 4 and my injectors with the 11mm pump, is the vnt17 going to be laggy?

2002 ALH TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Complete dlc 520's with 11mm pump. Malone stage 4 tune. I'll be buying the turbo from you in the next few days! I trust your advice, I don't want a laggy car!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
If you'd like to be tuned in person, I'm up in Blaine, not too far away. Andrew is a great guy to get your turbo and injectors from.

2002 ALH TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Alright gents,

My turbo roached on Monday and she came home on the tow truck. Called fixmyvw and ordered the vnt1749 and fixins. Showed up today. So....installing I noted that the new turbo has an electrical connector on the vgt actuator and my stocker does not.

That mentioned....do I have a part issue, or do I just not plug that iin?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Ryan

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
You just don't plug anything in. The plug is for newer cars, its just a position sensor.

2002 ALH TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Gents,

Car is up and running and sparkly clean under the hood. Will be tuning next week. Just driving it nice at this point and watching the boost.

One thing I noticed, with my old worn out turbo, the car was always pretty smokey cold, and on the first freeway enterance ramp every morning it would leave a notable haze behind you. In that condition it used about 1qt of oil every 4k miles.

With the new turbo, the tailpipe is clean, no visible smoke at any time, but the oil level went from the top of the cross hatches to the bottom in 650 miles. The car is not leaking either. Spotless clean. No smoke.

What do I make of that?

Ryan

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
With the new turbo, the tailpipe is clean, no visible smoke at any time, but the oil level went from the top of the cross hatches to the bottom in 650 miles. The car is not leaking either. Spotless clean. No smoke.
What do I make of that?
Ryan
Did you just change the oil?