2015 WEC thread

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Might as well start this, as the 2015 R18's been tested at Sebring (note that Sebring isn't a WEC race this year, though): http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/114063-wec-2015-audi-r18-breaks-cover-at-sebring

It broke Sebring's official track record, apparently. Audi's also done a lot of changes to the front end.

Racer got video of it, too, link in the article.

Audi's rumored to be using a 4 MJ/lap hybrid system for 2015. Toyota, Porsche, and Nissan are rumored to be using 8 MJ/lap systems (and with how tiny Nissan's brakes are, I'd be damn surprised if they're not running 8 MJ/lap).

Speaking of Nissan... how about that Nissan? My expectation is that it won't finish at Le Mans, they've had trouble with their hybrid system in testing, they're highly dependent on their hybrid system (unlike, say, Audi - Audi's rumored to have run a significant portion of Le Mans with an inoperative hybrid system), and they're newcomers. I wouldn't be surprised if it is very, very fast though, despite the... interesting... layout.

So, drivetrain layouts in Le Mans now (low end of the hybrid release energy is 2014 spec, high end is rumored 2015 spec):

• Audi: 4.0 V6 single-turbo (electric-assisted) diesel, RWD, 7-speed transmission, 4 MJ FWD harvest/FWD release flywheel electric hybrid (may also have exhaust harvest)
  • Toyota: 3.7 V8 NA gas, RWD, 7-speed transmission, 6 MJ AWD harvest?/AWD release supercapacitor hybrid
  • Nissan: 3.0 V6 twin-turbo gas, FWD, 5-speed transmission, 8? MJ FWD harvest/AWD release flywheel mechanical hybrid
  • Porsche: 2.0 V4 twin-turbo? (last year was single-turbo electric-assisted) gas, RWD, 7-speed transmission, 8 MJ FWD/exhaust harvest/FWD release LiIon hybrid

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Can't wait!!!

Should be a very competitive and interesting season in LMP1. With Porsche having a year of experience under their belt in the new car it should be able to challenge Toyota and Audi more effectively, but yeah, the Audi was blazingly fast at the Sebring test. Sad to see they won't be competing there though. I never did see a video of the Nissan going full tilt at the Sebring test, maybe there is some footage of it somewhere, I haven't looked in a few days.

Regardless of the almost certain teething problems the Nissan will face this season I will definitely be rooting for them as the underdog. For the same reason I loved the Deltawing when it made its debut....the sheer craziness of the design and engineering that went into building it. I for one think the car looks awesome, total function over form imo and plus it SHOOTS FLAMES OUT OF THE HOOD! lol

LMP2 should be awesome this year too. Hopefully ESM has worked out most of the bugs in their new cars. I'm thinking G-Drive will be the favorites, but I'm glad to see Oak Racing back this season.

GT Pro/am never disappoint; although I would love to see BMW and Audi back in GT.

I'll be in Austin again this year for the 6 hours of Circuit of the Americas and Tudor's Lone Star Le Mans. It was a fantastic race last year and the facility is nothing short of amazing.

I also plan of being at Petit Le Mans this year for the Tudor race. I haven't been since 2013 for the final race of the ALMS and it's calling me back. The spectating opportunities are awesome and the whole setting of the track at Road Atlanta is beautiful.

Just over a month away from Silverstone!

Last edited:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Subscribed.

I already got my WEC Austin/ COTA tickets for September 17-19th Lone star Lemans!
I so can't wait to see them run again!

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I would imagine the WEC is still charging to see the races on their site.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Unfortunate that Nissan failed the crash test.
I'm Sure they will get it sorted.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Gahhh!!! lol I really want to see the Nissan going full race pace.

I would imagine the WEC is still charging to see the races on their site.

Yeah I believe so, I'm considering buying each race if it isn't outrageously $$$.

Something else....if you don't have to see it live there is a guy I subscribe to on youtube that usually uploads within a week or so.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBLxHEiGx78ldgqnltaJlZQ

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know if the prologue at Paul Ricard will be streaming anywhere?

Hopefully the audi does gain some top speed....I'm currently rewatching the 2014 Shanghai race and they are getting blown away in a straight line.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like the 919 had the outright pace on the field at Paul Ricard. Not by much, but both cars were 1 and 2 with the fastest laps of the test for both days.

Curious if they have dealt with the issue of the drop in power from the batts towards the end of the race. They seemed to always be quick in qualifying last year, but seemed to lose pace as the race progressed.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Live Timing

Here's the link to WEC's live timing from Silverstone:

live.fiawec.com

Audis are 1-2 and the #7 car is over 1 KMH faster than the fastest Porsche running 3rd.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Audi in the Lead!

At the half way point, the #7 Audi, currently driven by Andre Lotterer is in first place.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Close call at the end there, with that penalty on the Audi with under 12 minutes left.

Last edited:

RedInk

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, Teak brown
Interesting article on yesterday's thrilling FIA WEC season opener.

"... Yet, in the pits, what was Audi Motorsport boss Dr Wolfgang Ulrich doing? Was he hunched, scowling over his screen, monitoring and controlling the situation second by second? He was not. He was watching the telly, gasping and giggling with the rest of us as two world class drivers put on a show that for its quality and duration beats anything I have seen in F1 in both the recent and not so recent past..."

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/sports-cars/wec-vs-f1/

RedInk

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, Teak brown
New LeMans aero package for the Audi R18. Where are the rear view mirrors?
http://audi-motorsport-blog.blogspot.com/2015/04/fia-wec-audi-r18-e-tron-quattro-lmp1.html
And "we", in Belgium, gets the scoop:
"... When the version that creates less downforce runs for the first time this year at Spa, the differences to the sister specification, which generates higher downforce levels, are more apparent than ever before."
I'll be there tomorrow and will look out for the missing mirrors! :D
[https://www.facebook.com/fiawec/pho...388114417650/905387202851068/?type=1&theater]

Last edited:

RedInk

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, Teak brown
R.I.P. J. G. Mal-Voy

Sorry, I've forgot to post this:
----------------------------------
So long J.G.: The three ‪#‎Audi‬ R18 e-tron quattro wear a special sticker at 6 Hours of Spa to honor J. G. Mal-Voy, who passed away one week ago. As the Belgian Audi Club’s Chairman, Mal-Voy discovered and promoted renowned race driver personalities in his native Belgium during a period spanning more than three decades, and initiated and supported highly successful racing programs.
------------------------------
I knew him well! R.I.P
https://www.facebook.com/AudiSport/...29333.114682131949771/806398312778146/?type=1

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
#18 Porsche-#7 Audi-#8 Audi at the two hour mark and Lotterer is closing the gap.