REVO Software Installed Today

russo

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
want to get in on the holiday deal but only the cr170 dyno is posted on the site. is the cr140 dyno curve similiar?

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
The 170 has a completely differnet turbo and injectors so no the curve is not similar unfortunatley.

Our UK staff is gone for the holidays already and I don't know where they moved the hosted dynos to so i have nothing I can link up at this time.

A dyno doesn't really tell you the whole picture which is why we do a 30 day money back guarantee. Have it installed and test it out yourself instead of looking at it on paper, especially since on paper it may look like some out perform us but in the car that hasn't been shown yet :)

russo

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I did not realize you had a 30 day money back guarantee. I'll have to give it a try then. cannot hurt to try it.

sinfony78

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen
got my car back today and unfortunately REVO is out for the next couple of weeks because the car feels like it is literally running stock. had the shop check the tune and vcds for fault codes and everything looked normal...going to have to bring it in next year for them to figure this out so they can have REVO on the phone, but i basically paid about $150 in overnight shipping for the ECU to come back like nothing has changed...the shop owner has a tune on his '09 and he can tell there's a huge difference between his and mine

really, really disappointed right now

TCBinaflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
got my car back today and unfortunately REVO is out for the next couple of weeks because the car feels like it is literally running stock. had the shop check the tune and vcds for fault codes and everything looked normal...going to have to bring it in next year for them to figure this out so they can have REVO on the phone, but i basically paid about $150 in overnight shipping for the ECU to come back like nothing has changed...the shop owner has a tune on his '09 and he can tell there's a huge difference between his and mine

Based on Chris' involvement in this forum and others I'm sure they will wake good with you.

russo

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
your less than 2 hours from jamestown,NY they have a spx authorized dealer there who can check your install. that is where i planned on having mine done. dealer is
Alistair Oag
Interprep Performance Tuning
112 Harrison St.
Jamestown, NY 14701
716-483-6287

maybe give them a try after the new year and save the shipping cash and make sure your happy when you leave. Keep me posted I'm curious how this plays out. I am planning pulling the trigger on this next week.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE

any resolution on this?
has anyone had the DSG tune from REVO?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Sorry this must have ended up a few pages back while I Was away on vacation I did not see that problem post from right before the holidays. I was however in contact with his dealer about it and sent them some stuff to check and I don't recall ever hearing back from the dealer or the customer. Sinfony if you are having a problem still please send me an email chris.cafiero@revotechnik.com.

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW

Try Fed-ex or USPS Express. Ive shipped my ECU out 6 times now and like you I was paying out the wazoo till I found Express it went from around $120 to $50 fully insured and at its location next day.

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
A dyno doesn't really tell you the whole picture which is why we do a 30 day money back guarantee. Have it installed and test it out yourself instead of looking at it on paper, especially since on paper it may look like some out perform us but in the car that hasn't been shown yet :)
I have Malone stage2 in mine now, the only thing I can think to compare would be for us to meet up somewhere. Other then that how could we compare the tune in car? I could get video but then most likely we would be comparing drivers?

chris@revotechnik

TDI
2) Am I correct in assuming that your tune does not "mess-up" the readiness bits? If my state ever decides to join the 20th century and do emissions testing through the OBDII port, will a Revo tuned 2009 TDI pass?

I happened to check this last week while doing some other things on my car. All readiness tests show properly passed so you would not have a problem. This is of course on a car with a DPF, we would never gurantee this on a car with a DPF or EGR delete and would not force tests to pass, most modern systems can also detect when the tests are forced.

chris@revotechnik

TDI
I have Malone stage2 in mine now, the only thing I can think to compare would be for us to meet up somewhere. Other then that how could we compare the tune in car? I could get video but then most likely we would be comparing drivers?
STage 2 to stage 1 wouldn't be a fair comparison regardless.

Most tunes are making similar power, you can't trust some of the dynos out there so trying to compare it on paper makes no sense anyway even if it seems illogical to test each one in your own car it really is the better option.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Care to weigh in, Chris?
The revo site seems to offer a DSG tune...

We do not have DSG software for any 2009+ application, it has a different control module and it has just not been made a top priority to finish our reading/writing tools, the tuning itself is not an issue. We cover a lot more engines in a lot more regions then any other tuner which sell about 100:1 over DSG software so DSG keeps getting bumped. We know there is demand and we are moving forward with it currently but I don't have any release info.

There is a big difference between wanting DSG tuning and needing DSG tuning like some claim. DSG software isn't required for proper operation of engine software.

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI

sinfony78

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen
follow-up to my previous post:

we did end up talking to someone at Revo after the break, but i don't remember his name...he told us how to test if the software is fully functional through vcds...did some 3rd gear pulls at stock and with software on and vcds showed expected numbers...when switching back and forth, i could feel the difference in power better, but it wasn't the wow i was expecting from reading all the reviews...about a week and a half later, i was able to feel considerably more torque above the 2k rpm range that i wasn't able to earlier, but i have no idea why...my dealer even said a customer experienced the exact same thing, but only 1 day later...however this is all above 2k, and i thought remember reading reviews where drivers felt better responsiveness above 1k, but i'm a little lazy to look for it in earlier posts...i am not really experiencing that responsiveness, but i am much more satisfied than when i first got the tune

rootrider

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 sportwagen
however this is all above 2k, and i thought remember reading reviews where drivers felt better responsiveness above 1k,
the reason it feels like there's not an increase in power below 2k is because there's such a larger power increase above 2k.. since that's around when the boost really kicks in.

It used to be common for people to say that the vw mk2 16v was "weak" in the lower rpm's... even though dyno's very clearly showed that the 16v engine still had a nice increase in power over the slower 8v engines. This was simply because the 16v engine revved so much higher, and had so much more power at the higher rpm's... people felt like there wasn't really a power increase within the lower rpm's.

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Correct the gains below 2k rpm are minimal simply due to the nature of a turbo spooling there is only so much one can do.

Excuse me for using a petrol example but it is sometimes easier.

Many times customers will say that they got a tune and it has more lag than stock. In fact it is quite the opposite. No tunes for say the 1.8t or 2.0t actually increase lag, some in fact decrease lag due to changes in timing and fuel that help spool it up. The reason why many feel that lag is increased is they look only at peak torque and they are confusing the spool time of the turbo which is the lag with the time it takes to get to peak torque. If before the stock tune made 200ft/lbs of torque at 3K rpm but after the tune they made 300ft/lbs at 3500 rpm they mistake this 500 rpm increase from peak to peak as lag. On the tuned car they are still making 200ft/lbs of torque at 3Krpm, as I said sometimes even more than that. But their body cannot detect oh yeah its still 200ft/lbs at 3k rpm all they feel is when it peaks and tapers or levels off.

Nothing wrong with thinking this way it is just the sensation can confuse people as to what is actually going on.

Here is a copy of a dyno I was able to grab from our dealer release since the back end of our site is still down, This should better show how there is no increase lag but the increases really don't start until just below 2K rpm. (mustang dyno figures so look at area under the curve not total power)

rootrider

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 sportwagen
this was the dyno comparison that EuroTuner posted with their project 2009 TDI Jetta sedan using Revo. IIRC, the difference also included an intake and exhaust (fwiw.. since the exhaust will do nothing, and the intake won't really help except when driving at higher speeds).

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Please excuse my brevity I have one foot out the door on the way to the dyno, the other still doesn't even have a shoe on.

The issue is related to VW changing one of the fuel pressure limits in the most recent of factory updates. This problem only seems to affect those vehicles and possibly one just prior for some ecu IDs. For anyone not actually experiencing limp mode, a fuel pressure code, or the glow plug light coming up there is no reason to be updated. If you have any of those issues this updated V1.2 file will address that. There are no other changes to these files regarding performance or anything else.

The version in your new ecu is I believe the second to last update for the ecu that you have. There is a very good chance that the version of your software does not have the factory altered fuel pressure limit that is the reason for this issue.
OK, I have gone into limp mode twice now, both scans say fuel rail pressure too high... so this means I need v1.2? Is v2 at all near ready? If so I can wait a bit but when I gun it hard in first gear I get the glow plug light and limp mode :(

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Yes... You'll just need the update to 1.2 and you'll be good.

V2 is still a ways off from what I hear.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
So no one ever worries about these tunes messing up the particulate filter? Or faster making it clog. Seems like it would

Pekodaddy

TDI
12 JSW black/tan, pano, 6MT
Other than limp mode, how do you like your tune?

Whenever I think about getting a tune I look at one of these threads literally full of tunes not working, disappearing, people shipping car parts al over the country to be temporarily tuned, or maybe ruined.

And then I tell myself that I will never, ever get a tune. How can people justify paying for this?

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
If you are the least bit worried, don't do it.. You'll end up spending all of your time freaking out that your car might explode or your ECU will fry rather than enjoying it for what it is.

I too love my tune.. But there have been some issues (this limp mode that you are discussing) which was fixed with 1.2 and there is now a few DSG cars (mine included) that are having some shifting issues (thought to be a torque limiting issue in the DSG software), but I assume that will get resolved soon enough.

Things like this will crop up... if hearing this kind of thing makes you nervous, then a tune isn't for you. :)

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
If you are the least bit worried, don't do it.. You'll end up spending all of your time freaking out that your car might explode or your ECU will fry rather than enjoying it for what it is.

I too love my tune.. But there have been some issues (this limp mode that you are discussing) which was fixed with 1.2 and there is now a few DSG cars (mine included) that are having some shifting issues (thought to be a torque limiting issue in the DSG software), but I assume that will get resolved soon enough.

Things like this will crop up... if hearing this kind of thing makes you nervous, then a tune isn't for you. :)
The DSG will limit power, this is just the fact of having that transmission. This is EXACTLY why I didn't get DSG again, well one reason anyway. You can't blame this on the tune - DSG will pull power, we learned this long ago on the R32, you simply need a DSG tune which will up the torque limit among other things.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Other than limp mode, how do you like your tune?

Whenever I think about getting a tune I look at one of these threads literally full of tunes not working, disappearing, people shipping car parts al over the country to be temporarily tuned, or maybe ruined.

And then I tell myself that I will never, ever get a tune. How can people justify paying for this?
Like I said before, I love the tune, the car feels the way it should have from the factory and I could never go back to stock. Tunes can't just disappear.... if the dealer updates the ECU then yes, they will over write it but the tuner should re flash you for a minimal fee or even free. Every car I have ever owned has been tuned and I have had no ill effects.