Burning Oil 2015 Tdi

Tdi2015

TDI
I've been burning a quart or oil every 5k miles. I bring it to the dealer for maintenance, and they are using the 507 spec. I am also, though less frequently, running low on coolant. The car has 75k on it(mostly highway)and I've been thinking of switching to 5w-40 low ash, that's used on MB. But I guess my questions are, should I be concerned that she's burning oil at that rate? Is it a good idea to switch to a non 507 oil, that is low ash? Would any of this impair my ability to participate in the buy back? Would changing oils stop it from burning oil?

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I would be getting the coolant system Checked as it is a closed system and it should not be losing any. As for the engine oil check if you want the 5w40 for an oil that has the 504/507

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Don't use anything but 507 unless you're willing to lose your extended turbo and long block coverage provided by dieselgate.

My CVCA has 31k and it doesn't consume a drop in the 10k intervals. 2 quarts in 10k, I'd certainly be interested to investigate that.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
There have been plenty of reports of failed water pumps on these. In fact, mine was replaced before I bought the car with 17k miles on it. Should be replaced under warranty.

That amount of oil consumption will easily fall under VW's "normal" category though it's likely not normal for most on TDIclub. Mine uses less than a quart in a 10k interval.

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Only use 507 oil..
You have a great warrenty...
Don't void it.....
If consumption goes up...you might get a replacement under warranty at some point... document it..
The oil use is a bit hard on the DPF, and the 507 oil is the LEAST hard on it when BURNT.
Once you get the second fix...a new DPF, and your warrenty runs out...do what you want...
But imo don't act hastily now.

Tdi2015

TDI
So I plan on participating in the buy back this summer, so I'm not terribly concerned about the warranty. I did put in the 504, and with 6k miles, I havent had to add any yet. Nor have I seen a noticeable drop in coolant.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Only use 507 oil..

You have a great warrenty...

Don't void it.....

If consumption goes up...you might get a replacement under warranty at some point... document it..

The oil use is a bit hard on the DPF, and the 507 oil is the LEAST hard on it when BURNT.

Once you get the second fix...a new DPF, and your warrenty runs out...do what you want..

But imo don't act hastily now.

... 162,000 mile 11 year warranty is gold:D